Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Raleigh Mustang…thoughts??
  • woodnut
    Free Member

Maybe a poor man’s Cannondale Slate?

My current winter commuter is a Dolan Prefissio, fancy a change and I could get one of these on Cycle to work?

Mustang

warpcow
    Free Member

Disappointed in the lack of neon horses.

unovolo
    Free Member

I quite like it seems a OK spec and has got semi hydro brakes(TRp hy/ryde)
    Thru axles front and rear too?

iolo
    Free Member

I had a hand me down Mustang.
    Yes it was pink and weighed a ton but I loved it.
    It looked nothing like the OP.

That’s not mine, it got stolen years ago, but it looked like this.

1-shed
    Free Member

Make sure you read the specification and are happy with that. Looks good but will be harder to sell on than other brands.

hora
    Free Member

Giant Advanced Defy 3? On another note, £1,000 for that? Come on. Someone revive the Raleigh brand proper please.

growinglad
    Free Member

I remember the originals…..If I remember correctly they were forged from wrought Iron

woodnut
    Free Member

Yeah, I remember the originals, they look well nasty through modern eyes 😀 Like the Giant Defy but this is a different animal with 35mm tyres and 1 x 11. To be fair don’t think the spec is too bad for a grand? As for selling it on, not so bothered as I tend to keep bikes until they are almost worthless anyway. Raleigh range is odd, all the MTBs look like supermarket specials but they also sell a 5 grand roadbike 😕

luffy105
    Free Member

aaah, the black and white one was my first mountain bike… christ it weighed a ton!

nemesis
    Free Member

The original weighed a ton. I borrowed my mate’s one to ride from London to Brighton with my mates on road bikes… Certainly felt that.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Maybe a poor man’s Cannondale Slate?

rigid forks, and 700c wheels, so no.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had the original pink one, sold a load of He-Man figures to fund it, I think my dad still have his in the cellar

The head angle looks to be quite modern again

Northwind

It’s alright but it’s no Activator 2.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was expecting something horrible, that actually looks like a good bike at a reasonable price. If you like this kind of thing.

On another note, £1,000 for that? Come on.

You’re gonna have to explain why it’s such bad value. Looks fine to me.

nuke

aaah, the black and white one was my first mountain bike… christ it weighed a ton!

Me too 😀

…we weighed it and im sure it was 40lb. Still it did get me into mountain biking. Still got it at my parents house

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Bleurgh – sums it up for me.

finbar
    Free Member

I rode a Raleigh Max Ogre to work this morning 8)

ransos
    Free Member

I remember the originals…..If I remember correctly they were forged from wrought Iron

With chromed wheels that meant no braking at all in the wet.

Saccades
    Free Member

I had the red/black one with “silver sparkle”…

Still in my dad’s garage, with a nasty gouge in the chainstay where the Farmer John tyre ate through it.

Looks like a rival to the PX london rd.

Northwind

Saccades – Member

Looks like a rival to the PX london rd.

I’m not sure Raleigh have the specific skillset required to rival the London Road experience.

thomthumb
    Free Member

based on the maverick geometery which had design input from guitar ted (as the tamland in the USA).

I think it’d be great.

jam1e
    Free Member

Aaaah! The Raleigh Mustang – my first mountain bike too.

It was basically the same configuration as a drop bike but with fatter heavier tubing and wheels. The components on it were all shit (probably from a Raleigh drop handlebar bike too) and needed constant attention to coax them to work.

I remember a particularly sketchy moment on mine when the crank snapped mid descent. Had a long push back home that day.

For all it’s faults it got me out of the house and I had some great adventures on it.

D0NK

Nostalgia hit, nice to see they’ve brought back the name (i didn’t have one but my mate did)

Bleurgh – sums it up for me.

only thing wrong with that is the ludicrously big brake calipers. Top tube seems to be curved, just for the sake of it, but there’s a lot of that around. Not saying it’s a looker but it’s not gopping.

Ali frame, carbon fork, spec doesn’t look bad to me but I’m not clued up on spec levels generally.

firestarter
    Free Member

Another black and white as a first mtb here too. Mine ended up covered with neon free mbuk dayglo brake cables and the original bike packing framebags / shoulder carry point triangle. nice

breninbeener

So it appears that most objections are based on a different bike having the same name about 20yrs ago?

pondo

Yeah, I remember the originals, they look well nasty through modern eyes

I beg to differ.

JoB
    Free Member

that current Mustang isn’t a bad bike per-say, and the TRP HY-RDs are a highlight, but you might find the one-by a bit restricting and mega-range cassette a bit gappy between the teeth if you’re just using it for commuting

£1000 is a very competitive price point so it’s worth having a good look around

more importantly, why have they photographed their bikes upside-down?

ahwiles
    Free Member

…why have they photographed their bikes upside-down?

i think he’s right y’know…

maybe so the curve in the chain matches the curve in the top tube?

or it stops the hanging-down chain from joining forces with the top tube and making the bike look round and fat?

maybe everyone does it…? 😯

stumpy01

hora – Member
    Giant Advanced Defy 3? On another note, £1,000 for that? Come on. Someone revive the Raleigh brand proper please.

Care to back that up with any logic and/or reasoning? What is wrong with it for £1k?

A mate of mine works for Raleigh and they are working hard to revive the brand and put good products out there.

hora, have you ridden any of their bikes in recent years?
    I’ve ridden the Militis alloy and carbon, as well as the Revenio and their CX bike (the name escapes me).
    All perfectly good bikes and score well in all of the reviews I have seen.
    The only thing against them for me is that they seem to spec SRAM over Shimano, which I prefer.

timrobinson229
    Free Member

Just bought one of these as other bike died and got 20 percent off

Very impressed so far, not very well put together from factory but tightened everything up and have redone bar tape. SRAM rival 1×11 very good as are brakes.

woodnut
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, and well spotted on the upside down thing 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Care to back that up with any logic and/or reasoning?

You do realise who you’re dealing with here?

jameso

…why have they photographed their bikes upside-down?

It’s for that 360 degree image thing some sites have, hang them up and they rotate. Also faster than setting a bike up in a studio when you want the bike/front wheel angled, cables all tidy etc – as I know too well from sitting in a studio in May Taiwan heat with 60 bikes to do ..

thv3
    Free Member

It’s alright but it’s no Activator 2.

Fond memories of an Activator 2, paid extra for the “suspension” fork, think it was optimised for a 20 stone rider based on how much it ever moved 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not sure if I saw one in the window walking past local bike shop the other evening. It was dark out, and the bike I saw was understated, looked like raw metal. I’ve been looking at them there gravel-y bikes for a while now so this caught my eye, couldn’t at first figure what the brand was. Being an old-skool/nostalgia/RSP flavour Raleigh fan must admit I was delighted to make out the heron logo emblazoned on the head-tube. Looked very nice, will be back for a daylight ogle tmrw.

*Edit – Looking at the website – notice they’ve also resurrected the ‘Maverick’ moniker in new guise?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You’re gonna have to explain why it’s such bad value. Looks fine to me.

+1

tthew

notice they’ve also resurrected the ‘Maverick’ moniker in new guise?

The £850 quid Elite one looks particularly good VFM. Not quite the same colour blue as my 5 speed 90’s version though. That got squashed by a Transit Van, (surprisingly the Transit’s suspension survived fine. 😀 )

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ok so turns out after a daylight gander it was actually a Mustang Elite, black/charcoal gloss, not raw 😳

I like it. Those rival 1X 11spd cassettes look massive!

Not sure what step up the Mustang Comp is for the extra half a ton in cash? Elite weighs in (manufacturers claim) at 9.8kg while the comp at 9.6kg? Are American Classic hoops that good? That flaming orange paintjob puts me in mind of my old Diamondback V-Link. No reviews yet wish I could find a demo.

orena45

Been eyeing up ‘gravel’ bikes this week and came across the Mustang Elite – I did come across this short review whilst trying to find out more about it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Raleigh Mustang…thoughts??’ is closed to new replies.