Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Raleigh Dyna-Tec 2120 chromo/titanium performance enhanced tube set (retro bike)
  • sam3000

Hi, my bike got stolen last week so I’ve been to see my neighbour.

He has a Raleigh Dyna-Tec 2120 chromo/titanium performance enhanced tube set road bike.

The front triangle is titanium and the rear and forks are chromoly.

It has a suitably old dura-race crankset, campag wheels and shimano 600 gears.

It is in v.good condition.

Any idea what its worth?

He wants £225 for it- Am I being daft buying it?

bencooper
    Free Member

Daft, no – as long as the glue doesn’t fail they’re decent frames. Not especially light. That probably sounds a reasonable price if it’s in good condition.

singlesteed
    Free Member

So snappy they are, my dad used to have the metallic purple version.

Great bike imo, look after it!

Pics!?

jamj1974

In good condition it’s definitely worth having.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had an M-Trax titanium/chromoly mtb which got stolen. I’d happily have something similar for the road!

Does it have STI or is it still on downtube shifters?

Pics?

sam3000

Down tube shifters, currently I don’t have the time or money to put sti’s on however I like the current set up.

It’s in fantastic condition, the frame has hardly been used. The components have been swapped about a bit, as to be expected from a seasoned roadie. Pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16595830@N06/with/15120719664/

mt
    Free Member

that’s a nice bike and the Shimano 600 was good and reliable. Buy it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nice. Am a big fan of that period Raleigh. Reminds me, one of the loveliest bikes I’ve ever seen is a refurb’d M-Trax Ti 9000r

sam3000

Full spec.

Campag record hubs (unsure of rims)
    rear mech- shimano 600 series – any idea what that relates to these days?
    Front mech 105
    Shifters- 105 (I think)
    Brakes- 105
    Cinelli bars and post
    Campag headset
    Dura race crankset.

deejayen
    Free Member

600 is Ultegra-level.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I had a steel dyna tech. Great bike. The ti mtbs had at reputation for snapping. My mate got through three.

robbo76
    Free Member

My mate had one very good bike had the mtb version which I got in about 1991 I’d still have it if some tw*t hadn’t of robbed it so I would definitely buy it

singlesteed
    Free Member

That looks oddly like my dads old one with white bar tape, he had matching purple bottle cage gloves and helmet too.

Plus a huage beard !

:O

sam3000

Sadly my neighbour roy doesn’t have the epic beard.

He has an epic list of stories to tell though!! He’ going to throw in a set of mudguards too.

Much better than the planet-x rt58 i was planning on buying. Looks like i’ll have £275 to spend on bits for my mountain bike!

singlesteed
    Free Member

Nah my dad sold it on due to older age and wanting a step thru hahaha kinda thing.

So I spotted a 16″ Kinesis Maxlight for him which he has a suss post on with a massive great gel saddle cover on the already gelly saddle.

He’s such a plonker but there’s no telling dads ay!

sam3000

At least he’s still riding a bike….

My dad, the one who got me into cycling, through sharing the best (and worst) of times together now refuses to go cycling- I cannot get him to go out at all, shame really. He has a 2001 Sub 5 that needs a little work doing to it to make it a superb retro- kind of thing.

TiRed

£200 is a great price for something in that condition. 600 downtube shifters are very slick shifting. I had them on a 531 Dave Marsh that I bought used about 10 years ago.

irelanst
    Free Member

I have a similar frame that I bought to race and have since used as a daily commuter from new (so ~20yrs). The only area which I would check before buying is the bottom bracket; the lug is Ali but it’s sleeved with a steel liner. I had a bottom bracket seize to the sleeve and the bond break to the lug which is a pain to fix. It needs a new sleeve bonded in place which is OK if you have a lathe but probably a job for a frame builder if you don’t.

sam3000

I’m about to take it on a test run, only a short one mind you. I’ll be taking it from Holmfirth, up over Greenfield to Uppermill into Marsden and back to Holfmirth via meltham and netherthong. Its only a short run (30miles) but it has a few good climbs in it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Raleigh Dyna-Tec 2120 chromo/titanium performance enhanced tube set (retro bike)’ is closed to new replies.