Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rainwater harvesting wc's
  • Leku
    Free Member

Anyone know who makes/supplies those all-in-one rainwater harvesting wc's? The tank sits behind/above the concealed cistern and feeds just the one wc.

Stoner
    Free Member

no idead, but interested in this to for part of a conversion project.

Was planning on simply installing a f***-off big tank fed by a downpipe to supply a downstairs cistern as well as trickle irrigation of raised veg beds and a hosepipe.

Was going to install two feeds to the cistern to allow for lack of water and prevent rainwater getting into the potable supply.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

feeds just the one wc

So what's the idea behind that …….. don't eat a vindaloo if it hasn't rained for a while ?

😕

….. I prefer my toilet pan to be flushed with chlorinated water anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have visions of GG sitting in his 10 bedroomed pile of a house, with 15 WCs around the place 🙂

Downstairs bog gets the most use. Mrs S and I work from home, that's about 2x 5 flushes x8 Litres per day. = 80L

Leku
    Free Member

I have a project where we need to rainwater harvest. To design the system to BS8515 is very expensive (3000l tank buried in back garden and filters checked every 3 months). I remember seeing an advert somewhere for a much smaller / simpiler system which has its own holding tank adjacent to the WC. If the collected rainwater runs out then there is a mains top up.

This is what I looking for.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

that's about 2x 5 flushes x8 Litres per day. = 80L

I'm disappointed you haven't backed your 'toilet use' calculations with an interesting graph Stoner. Maybe one showing the peaks throughout a 24 hour period ? Have you calculated the 'cost per crap' btw ?

Stoner
    Free Member

I could factor in the "if its yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" methodology and cross-correlate it with dual movement visits….

Leku
    Free Member

Stoner / Ernie do you mind 'getting a room'.

I'm trying to get a sensible answer (but perhaps not the best place to ask…)

Stoner
    Free Member

we're talking about toilets in a thread about toilets in public forum.

What more did you want, a private correspondence with a plumber? 🙄

MrAgreeable

You might be confusing rainwater harvesting with "grey" water harvesting, I think the former tends to have one big central tank (or bladder), the latter tends to use small header tanks for individual appliances.

WTF is a "dual movement visit"? 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

My father and I installed a 1500 litre tank at their house, including pumps and collection, and I designed the electronics to control it. It cost about 100 all in (after several configurations were tried) and it does the clothes washing and toilet flushing for about a week on a tankload. Very handy. No experience with the systems you suggest though, sorry.

Stoner
    Free Member

anyway, as MrA says, having savaged google I can find nothing on two cistern supplies to toilets.

Greywater harvesting in small volumes with fast turnover can be done with out treatment of the water but if you plan on storing the water for more than 24 hours you need to bleach it to prevent it going septic.

Thats why IM sticking to a rainwater harvest, gravity fed system, probably with a small header tank for mains supply or manual change over of supply to avoid falling foul of water regs regarding contamination from grade 4/5 water.

Leku
    Free Member

It was a rainwater system rather than grey water. The site is on shallow bedrock so tanks can not be buried and gardens not big enough for above ground. Will have to keep hunting..

MrAgreeable

If space is an issue then you can get tanks or even flexible bladders that will slide into a very shallow space, e.g. the crawl space under certain types of house. I'd phone round a few suppliers and explain your predicament.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Can't you just install two cisterns, one rain, one mains fed, and Y pipe it to the bowl. If one cistern is dry (no rain) then you can just use the mains fed as per normal.

redx

Welsh Water are trialling a system that's a tank installed on the outside wall of your house under the eaves which feeds the toilet and is filled from the downpipe. Not sure how long the trials have got go or how succesful they are. Not in work at the moment, but if I remember I'll e-mail the guys involved tomorrow to see how they're getting on and will report back…..

I'll also see if I can find out anything about the system you're talking about. The rainwatershop.co.uk or celticwater.co.uk might be places you could find more info….. Only suggestions mind, don't know much about either……

midlifecrashes

I have a rainwater system here where the tank is in a small loft space above our kitchen, designed for clothes washing and loo flushing. Having the tank higher means no electronics required for controls, just a dual ball valve satellite tank fed from the main storage tank and mains. With the mains feed having a non-return valve in line, no risk to potable supply. The two ball valves should be a couple of cisterns worth of water apart. Installed in 1901, not much new is there?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rainwater harvesting wc's’ is closed to new replies.