Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rainfall Information – where do I find it?
  • gribble
    Free Member

I know the answer will be known by Singletrack’s collective wisdom. I am trying to get rainfall data specifically to report on some of the flooding that happened in the South East on Tuesday. I have looked on the Met office and EA website, but can’t seem to locate it. I am looking for the rainfall records by the hour in a certain region.

This is for work, so any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

perchypanther
    Free Member

wunderground.com

momo

From the EA, you will probably need to pay for it. I work for a water and sewage co and it’s where we get our data from – but being lazy I get the lad who sits next to me to search for it.

You’re after storm/rainfall return or rain gauge data.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gribble
    Free Member

Thanks both. Checked underground, but for the area I am searching (Dunstable) it records 0% precipitation.

I am looking for rainfall data to show how much rain fell and also try to understand whether this was a 1/1000 storm.

Stoner
    Free Member

see if you can find a local weather nut.

momo

I am looking for rainfall data to show how much rain fell and also try to understand whether this was a 1/1000 storm.

This is exactly what we et from the EA, be aware that storm return periods vary by region, 8mm of rain in an hour in Scotland would be a different (probably lower probability) intensity storm to the same in London. This is exactly why we use the return period which the EA give us rather than calculating our own.

bubs

The Hadley centre linked to from the met office site has rainfall records going back over 200 years if that helps – you may be able to get them daily?

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

Hi Gribble,

email enquiries@metoffice.gov.uk
    give as much info as you can as to what you want. It should get picked up pretty quickly and passed on to the relevant team. They deal with a lot of data inquiries and sales, so you should be sorted. (I may have inside knowledge here…. :o) )

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks Leonard, much appreciated.

nedrapier

are you having to prove to insurers that damage was due to a particular level of event?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rainfall Information – where do I find it?’ is closed to new replies.