Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Rainbow flags flying on public buildings
  • project
    Free Member

Why,whats happening.To celebrate the change of parliment, or what.

tron
    Free Member

Gay pride?

trailmonkey

International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO).

headfirst
    Free Member

if its buck palace it means prince edward is in

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, it is International Day Against Homophobia, each year on May 17th. Quite a lot of events going on in Norwich this weekend and into next week, I know that much. http://www.norwichpride.org.uk

Rachel

bol

Norwich Pride is in July. The stuff going on in Norwich this weekend is the Norwich festival.

jon1973
    Free Member

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😕 International Day Against Homophobia ? Well that's bang out of order……..why should there be an "international day" against homophobes ? …..don't we have any rights then ? 😐

And I wonder how "international" it is anyway……..I bet they didn't celebrate it in Zimbabwe. Or Iran…….where women are women, and men aren't.

Jamie
    Free Member

headfirst:

Take him to the Tower!

LuckyJim
    Free Member

Take him to the Tower!

OXO tower?

allthegear
    Free Member

@bol – you're right that it's not Norwich Pride this weekend – the Pride side of things is a bit of a "warm up", called Shake Up. Was a lot of fun last night, too!

@ ernie_lynch – I guess there's not a lot making you go to any of the IDAHO events, so you should be okay…

Rachel

Jamie
    Free Member

LuckyJim:

OXO tower?

LuckyJim
    Free Member

'Twas a joke mate – I am well aware of what "The" tower is. Thanks for keeping me right though.

Jamie
    Free Member

LuckyJim:
    'Twas a joke mate – I am well aware of what "The" tower is. Thanks for keeping me right though.

I know you knew….just fancied posting nice pic 8)

Everyone knows the OXO Tower is full of stock cubes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

'Twas a joke mate

Don't spoil his fun, it makes him feel useful 🙂

ton

i noticed a few of said flags flying in hebbers today……..but i knew what they were for. 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And in case anyone doesn't know what the OXO Tower looks like :

I find it strangely erotic 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but i knew what they were for

Being the liberal that you are ton 🙂

ton

dd, cousin and nephew are both gay matey.
    so yes i suppose. not ever chinned either of them…. 8)

allthegear
    Free Member

I'm intrigued – I always assumed everyone of "our generation" (i'm 39) and younger just knew what the rainbow flag meant but it seems not?

yunki
    Free Member

I find it very irritating that such a universal and fundamental piece of symbolism like the rainbow has been taken possession of by a minority group and forever branded with a stigma..

A beautiful and natural phenomenon that captures the hearts of young and old alike should be free and shared by all..

allthegear
    Free Member

What, like a tree?

or an apple?

or maybe a cow?

organisations use images to help people remember them – it happens for all sorts, not all of which you may appreciate.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hope they had planning permission for those flags!

yunki
    Free Member

hmmmmmmmm…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A beautiful and natural phenomenon that captures the hearts of young and old alike should be free and shared by all..

Yeah, I'll never forgive this lot….

FFS!

headfirst
    Free Member

forever branded with a stigma..

Oh dear, I think today is aimed at you

Jamie
    Free Member

yunki :

….a bit like someones freedom of sexuality then?

sweepy
    Free Member

yunki :

'All' surely includes Gays- I dont think they're expecting exclusive rights.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ "stigma" ! 😀

stig·ma
    ? ?
    a mark of disgrace or infamy; a stain or reproach, as on one's reputation.

Just in case you didn't know what stigma actually means

project
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    I'm intrigued – I always assumed everyone of "our generation" (i'm 39) and younger just knew what the rainbow flag meant but it seems not?

Posted 21 minutes ago # Report-Post

I didnt,but now i know, so whats everyone doing to support the day.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For your winter barefoot running Jamie…

🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

I somehow feel the need to "declare an interest" here…

For those that don't already know, I'm kinda involved in this whole LGBT Pride thing, being as I am transsexual. Believe me, it's been a f$$king* difficult thing to deal with and, without the huge help of friends involved in things like Pride, my long-term biking friends and everyone else, I'd probably be a gibbering wreck by now.

As it happens, through their support, I'm happier than I've ever been and getting out biking again and loving every minute of it.

Don't try to understand something you're not; it just isn't possible. Just accept that how things work in your head (and heart) isn't necessarily how other people think (and love).

Rachel

* sorry mods – I'm not one for swearing normally but sometimes it's actually the only word that works.

yunki
    Free Member

oooerr.. I think some people here have misunderstood me..
    I've always took the rainbow to be a sign of peace and love and joy and harmony and hope and by it's many colours multi-culturalism and diversity of ethnicity, sexuality and religion etc etc etc..

which is great and I would happily wear my rainbow t-shirt to promote such an ethos..
    that's all I meant.. sorry to all youse people looking for a fight! 😕

it's just been made a bit niche and I think it's a bit of a shame..

allthegear
    Free Member

Hey yunkl – I'm sure that's exactly what the founders of Pride wanted too. Sounds like we might actually all be happy after all! Thanks for clarifying – it takes a lot.

Rachel

sweepy
    Free Member

Not looking for a fight mate, it maybe didnt come across how you meant it.
    Ill wear my rainbow shirt too, wouldn't wear them creepy foot sock things tho, there are limits.

allthegear
    Free Member

lol – even I wouldn't wear those!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Believe me, it's been a f$$king* difficult thing to deal with and, without the huge help of friends involved in things like Pride, my long-term biking friends and everyone else, I'd probably be a gibbering wreck by now.

💡 So the "problem" was you then ? ………since everyone else was cool about it ?

Still, since you reckon that, quote : "I'm happier than I've ever been" then I'm glad you've sorted it out 8)

btw, I automatically associate the "rainbow flag" with the global peace ("pace") movement, then possibly LGBT, or maybe the indigenous Andean people. But anyway, unlike yunki I'm not in the least bit bothered who uses it.

allthegear
    Free Member

Absolutely, ernie_lynch, the "problem" was my fear of being ostracised from my friends, family / beaten up. I went through the usual assumption that "I'm alone, the only person like this in the World" etc and I was very lucky to realise that it isn't the case at all. Thank goodness for people like Pride, the Internet etc.

project
    Free Member

Allthegear,youre not alone youre a cyclist/mountainbiker, hopefully people you care about also care for you,and some of us that dont know you like me,also accept you,even if you wear those rainbow socks.

crikey
    Free Member

Allthegear, can I ask a question, just to be a bit nosey?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Rainbow flags flying on public buildings’ is closed to new replies.