Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rain water drainage pipes. How deep are they usually buried?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Trying to find the exact position of one under our garden and I’m not sure how deep to dig before I start moving along in a line?

nickjb
    Free Member

At least 600mm to be below the frost. Probably not more a metre, though

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ll keep going down then. Bugger 🙁 Maybe I’ll strike oil?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

One end will be deeper than the other or it won’t drain.

dingabell
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to know if you can hire those things that they use to find pipes/cables etc before digging up roads? I’m getting knackered now.

Murray
    pjm84
    Free Member

Don’t forget

DETECTION SONDE
    • Self-contained transmitter for tracing non-metallic pipes
    • Attaches to drain rod

nickjb
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Err no they don’t have to be minimum 600mm, site conditions will always determine falls/depths etc. You actually digging in the right place?

brakes
    Free Member

Not a soakaway is it?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

About 6 inches under the lawn on mine and when the rain wouldn’t go down it causing a cascade off the roof. Found roots from a bush had taken residence. Ironically they put the drain in, 1ft from a surface drain. So a couple of 45 deg angles and a hacksaw later see the rain going down the drain now.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

welding rods and empty biro’s

weejase40
    Free Member

Is it your pipe? Private drains and sewers transferred to the local sewerage undertaker in 2010/11. If it serves you and a neighbour, it might be a public sewer. And you’ll need to speak to them about digging up.

dingabell
    Free Member

It’s actually a drainage pipe which comes from the other houses in our road and passes under our front garden. We’re just trying to find the exact position of it because we want to build a timber garage, and are not allowed to build anything over the drainage pipe in case they ever need to dig it up?

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

A timber garage would normally count as a temporary structure and as such has very little regulation.

If the pipe is running from quite a few properties it may well be very deep. Think about-at the first house it services it is underground and then from that point it gets deeper as it goes past each subsequent house.

andywoods
    Free Member

look for the nearest manhole on that line and take the lid off, if you can find one at either end even better because you can measure down and work it out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rain water drainage pipes. How deep are they usually buried?’ is closed to new replies.