Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Rain, rain, rain- Kielder 100
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Pi**ing it down all night long, you can almost hear the 10 speed chains and mechs jamming already.
    Good luck everyone, I think it’s going to be a character building day

tollah
    Free Member

Good job Jeff is on a SS then 🙂

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Hurrah, glad I gave it a miss this year

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Crumbs, radar shows rainfall all day so far! Hats of to the real men and women!!

Cutgate, Whinstone Lee Tor, Crook Hill, Hagg Side and Lockerbrook were lovely this morning (wimp)!!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

SteveBbrain – Member
    Hurrah, glad I gave it a miss this year

+ 1 🙂

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Started with new pads, used another 3 pairs and bailed at 62 miles when I needed a 4th pair; winner at 8 hours 22 and first single speeder at 9 hours 40

swedishmatt
    Free Member

4 pads? Crikey! Why do the pads get eaten so quickly? Worse in rain?

amt27
    Free Member

bailed a few miles after the first feed zone, proper minging

carbon337
    Free Member

Has anyone heard how Matt Jones is doing with his Killer Kielder – Kielder 100 followed by 5m Kayak and then 26m run.

naffrider
    Free Member

I was loving it up until my knee died.

Love grim conditions.

Adds to the epic-ness

Plus others seem to suffer more in them than me 🙂

warton
    Free Member

4 pads? Crikey! Why do the pads get eaten so quickly? Worse in rain?

Kielder trails, and fire roads are mainly sandstone and when its wet your bike gets covered in a grinding paste. Its a bike killer…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Kielder trails, and fire roads are mainly sandstone and when its wet your bike gets covered in a grinding paste. Its a bike killer…

That would explain why I’ve got fine dust all over my bike from my last kielder visit. Aha!

postierich
    Free Member

Turned up to support some mates and ended up manning a “tech” station @ the 23 mile marker,it was grim and had to change a fair few brake pads and ran out of lube! sorry but no amount of lube would have stayed on in that paste!!
    It was grim for everyone including the marshalls and the forestry com guys/girls.
    I will be surprised if a 100 finished 😯
    I bailed the campsite this afternoon and I was in a van!!!!!!

Still a great event and will be back next year!

allthepies
    Free Member

4 pads after 62 miles ?

does not compute.

singletrackmind

was offered a free entry and camping by a mate who couldnt make it. So glad I declined .
    Swinley / Gorrick 100 eats pads even faster. A set every 10 mile lap was used by some , with the finishers using their pistons as pads.

paul4stones

Actually the winner came in at 8.02 but was a bit slower getting his dibber back.

Truly epic conditions. Everyone had mechanicals or at least brake pads. My non drive crank fell off – thanks postie for tightening it!

I think 160 finished – 75% attrition. Those winners, including twinklydave, they’re machines.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

Got round in 11:02, fair to say it was hard work. Riding through rivers and sludge the whole way, not a barrel of laughs to be honest and wetter than the first one.
    Did it all on 1 set of pads, Clarks sintered ones which cost me £7 a set 🙂

MTBMonkey
    Free Member

So glad I didn’t do it this year, try sintered pads next time

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Woo i thought the winning time would have been over 8.30 because of the wet. Who were the top three does anyone know?

How did the course compare to the last two years? Apart from the wetness..

tlr

Hmmm, yep, that was definitely emotional.

I got round, but not sure of the time but not record breaking by any means.

I had no back brake at all for the last 100km as the lever just went to the bar despite putting new pads in. Yhe front went again with 40km to so ended up having to run the steeper downhills.

That was some attrition rate.

Very good effort to everybody who survived.

Northwind

Full marks to everyone who finished. Or even put in a decent distance! I’d have spat the dummy.

Diane
    Free Member

Don’t know how Matt got on – hope he’s OK. Looked a bit tired at 78miles. Some effort.

jonb
    Free Member

Results are up already! looks like 177 finishers. There were 800 on the start list according to the briefing so under 15% finished 8O. I finished in 12.5hours (last year I was 11h15 and I felt fitter this time). My bike is ****. I had no brakes for the last ten miles having used up all my spare pads. My drivechain is shot as I was getting serious chainsuck so was limited to the granny and big ring for most of the race.

Really impressed by my riding partner who’s pedal fell off at about 30 miles (crank brothers :?) but he continued until we lost the body of it in the river just before Newcastleton. For those that passed us we were the two wading in the bog looking for it!) We parted company on the basis he was never going to finish and pull out at Newcastleton. Anyway 13h 14 minutes finish time for him with about 40 miles on nothing but a pedal axle! He just kept going inside the cut offs by a matter of minutes.

I’ve done it twice, this time was sooo much harder and probably the last.

jonb
    Free Member

MTBMonkey – Member

So glad I didn’t do it this year, try sintered pads next time
    You should have shared that pearl of wisdom before the start /sarcasm

vdubber67
    Free Member

Same story here as others. Lost the use of granny ring for most of the race. No back brake for last 50 miles, both brakes totally went at about mile 97 and had to walk last 3 miles, including what looked like the best of the trails! Freezing for whole race despite wearing gilet and jacket.

Well done to the chap who rode a pedal axle – that’s determination! 🙂

warton
    Free Member

Anyway 13h 14 minutes finish time for him with about 40 miles on nothing but a pedal axle!

Legend!!!!

broonster
    Free Member

MASSIVE respect to those folks that finished. I had to chuck it at the 60-mile Newcastleton stop. Had already used 2 new set of brake pads and was down to metal again and had 10 minutes before the cut-off time kicked in but didn’t have the time to get pads fitted by the Tech Station guys to get me on my way again. Having said that, I didn’t need much persuasion to chuck it – the conditions were thoroughly miserable all day.

Will I be back next year for another crack? Hmmmmmm…… 😐

millcar
    Free Member

Anyway 13h 14 minutes finish time for him with about 40 miles on nothing but a pedal axle

That’s determination in the extreme. Respect.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Missed the 78mile cut off. It was epic to say the least chapeau to all the finishers. My bloody bento box has eaten the paint off my frame lol.

large418
    Free Member

F*** me that was hard. Didn’t enjoy the first half, then as I was changing pads at the 50mile feed station, the marshall said that loads of people were bailing out, so it gave me more determination to carry on. 2nd set of pads died at about 70 miles, then for the last 10 miles, the back brake didn’t work, and the front lever just went to the bars, so had to run all the downhills. It seemed a bit wrong getting back on the bike to pedal up hill!

I was expecting the last 5 miles to be about 8 miles, so I was so happy when the “1 mile to go” sign appeared on the final descent. And the girls at the last Checkpoint weren’t fibbing when they said it was all downhill from here (unlike last year!!).

Epic event, well done to all the finishers, and an 8 hour finishing time is truly fantastic.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

well done for finishing

I was changing pads at the 50mile feed station, the marshall said that loads of people were bailing out, so it gave me more determination to carry on. 2nd set of pads died at about 70 miles, then for the last 10 miles

do you bed in your spares that you carry? I do so before the go in the spares bag to try and prevent this

dan93
    Free Member

Does anyone have the link to the results, can’t find them anywhere at the moment.

wool

Big thanks to race organisers and marshals who stood out in the rain as this took a lot of prep to put on.
    Finished 5 mins slower than last year dispite training harder for it, no brakes for most of it used the trees and boggy bits to slow down stuck in the middle ring for most of the way.
    Just going to wash the bike and see what damage has been done to it 😥
    well done to who finished

IanW
    Free Member

Well Done to everyone who even started never mind finished.

Heres the results link..

http://results.sportident.co.uk/home/event.html?eventid=0c2c234a-1365-4b8f-ab1b-1365b25cb9b0

thv3
    Free Member

Well Done to everyone who even started never mind finished.

Plus 1

RESPECT is due i think!

postierich
    Free Member

I see the chap doing the killer kielder finished but he do the kayack and marathon?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Only 177 finishers compared to 350 last year!

Looked like a stronger field up the front too.

tlr

For Sale:

4 pairs of Avid Elixir Brake pads. Used for less than 50 miles light xc use only.

£7.50 per pair posted.

uplink
    Free Member

I made the first cut off this year with 30 mins to spare but retired like a lot of others due to running out of spare pads

oh well

Shorty121
    Free Member

I missed the first checkpoint by 7 minutes :(. Really enjoyed of what I did of it. Also enjoyed the cheery people I met along the way. I will be back next year

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Rain, rain, rain- Kielder 100’ is closed to new replies.