Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Railcard/Regular rail travel advice please
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

My partner is looking at a new job which would involve travelling from Brighouse to Bradford daily. The prospect of driving is too daunting so having train stations at either end of the journey is the way to go.

We’ve had a look on the trainline.com and found out its’ about £3.85 a day return Brighouse to Bradford Interchange, which means she has a susbtantial increase on her current travel costs.

Does anyone know of any ticket/season ticket that she could pay monthly to reduce these costs?? We’re total non train travellers so know nowt!

alfabus
    Free Member

my old train commute was about £8 per day, £23 if I paid for a week or £100 for a month. The savings are definitely worth having.

Look here for your season ticket prices:
    National rail season ticket calculator

Dave

project
    Free Member

She needs one of these,allows 7 day travel on buses and trains.

http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/MetroCards/BusZone1-4

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthepies
    Free Member

When I was commuting into London then a weekly ticket was cheaper than daily tickets if I were travelling three or more days in a week. The monthly season ticket didn’t save much over 4 x weeklies, the biggest saving was for an annual ticket but I didn’t go for that and just bought weeklies.

So weekly tickets are probably the best to go for IMO.

poly
    Free Member

Yes there are season tickets. Many (especially larger / public sector) employers will offer a “season ticket loan”, so if for example an annual season ticket costs £720, then the employer will buy the ticket upfront, and then deduct £60 a month from each month’s salary. There may be eligibility criteria.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

She needs one of these,allows 7 day travel on buses and trains. http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/MetroCards/BusZone1-4

Actually – one of these – and it’s still more expensive than day tickets assuming a 5 day week. (the monthly one about breaks even, may be more convenient)

http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/MetroCards/BusZones2-5

Young persons railcard?

cheburashka
    Free Member

Railcard is only good for off-peak travel.

Anytime day return is £3.70 per day, off peak £3.00, so railcard would save you £1. For a 26 3/4 mile round trip, quite hard to beat really.

project
    Free Member

but he gets free travel for the rest of the week,

oliverd1981
    Free Member

but he gets free travel for the rest of the week,

guess it depends if it’s absolute cost or value tha the OP needs

Neptune
    Free Member

Wish my rail commute was sub £4 a day, wish it was less than £14 to be honest.

Monthly tickets are good if its a regular trip – annual if you can get a season ticket loan from your employer are even better as it will save the regular queue to get you ticket.

project
    Free Member

Oliver, but peeps buy cars and then leave them parked on the street most of the day while thyre in work, and when theyre sleeping.

woody2000

Whereabouts in Bradford Mick?

Oh, and if you take an average cost of ~30p mile to run your car, it’s cheaper on the train (~16 mile round trip to Bradford so £4.80 in the car)

molgrips
    Free Member

It also saves time at the ticket office.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Oliver, but peeps buy cars and then leave them parked on the street most of the day while thyre in work, and when theyre sleeping.

Like I said it’s up to the OP to decide if his partner only needs to use it for work, it’s likely the pass including the city is better value if they go into town every other weekend, for instance. £3.85 is a pretty cheap commute, I know my GF pays more than that in parking. Hard to imagine how cheap it was before.

I only have the potential to use my car around 180 days of the year at most.

*Looks forward to moving close to a metro line for the GF’s commute so we can become a 1 car household*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Railcard/Regular rail travel advice please’ is closed to new replies.