Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Ragley ti, whats it like for a general trail bike?
  • druidh
    Free Member

Well there you go – according to Wikipedia (and some decent sources) the average height of a UK male is 5’9″.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’re way below average then Colin 😉

ash

si_progressivebikes – Member
    What i am trying to say is that the frames were designed to have long top tubes, slack HA and a steep ST. By sizing ‘down’ you are in effect negating the original design intention of the long TT, so if you would normally ride an 18″ ST, with say a 23″ TT i would stick with the seat tube size rather than pick by TT

OK, I see your point now Si.

I guess I come from the side of always having found bikes that “should” be the right size for me, feeling too big.

I’m a smidge over 6’0″ and wouldn’t think about buying a hardtail bigger than 17″ unless it was for commuting.

druidh
    Free Member

So, all the bike designers got it wrong?

druidh
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member
    You’re way below average then Colin

Only in height mate 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

😈

BadlyWiredDog

It does make me wonder how many 20″ Ragley mmmbops, Scrappies and Blue Pigs have been sold and where this section of the population approaching 6’6″ all live.

If you look on CRC, the 20″ Ragley Ti is on special at 200 quid off list price. Good news for basketball players everywhere. Go figure…

Bike looks sweet.

ash

Was that in answer to my post? If so: No, cleary all the bike designers didn’t get it wrong. I *personally* however (for my riding style/things I ride/other reasons/whatever) prefer somewhat smaller bikes than would theoretically be “correct” for my height.

si-wilson
    Free Member

What do you mean?

druidh
    Free Member

Is it that hard to understand? 😕

So, you’re designing a new frame and you have a specific purpose/riding style in mind.

For reasons of economics, and assessing the range of heights of the targeted customer base, you decide that you’ll offer it in 3 frame sizes.

Do you;
    (a) make the smallest one suitable for Mr Average, the next one for slightly taller folk and the biggest one for the remaining 2% of the population, or

(b) make the middle one suitable for Mr Average, the smallest one for the 20-25% of the population who would require a smaller than average frame and the largest one for the 20-25% of the population who would require a larger than average frame?

rone

I’m running this rigid as a S/S and it’s an aquired taste but if you’re already into the 29 thing then you’re heading in that direction anyway.

I love it, but am still messing around with wheels tyres and such like.

It’s pretty comfortable for me – it gives in the right places and encourages you to stand up when you need to.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m a measurement geek.

i measure things for a living.

my 20″ blue pig has the sameish ‘reach’ as my 18″ inbred.

(reach and stack)

do you like your 18″ inbred?

dow you want a similarly sized ragley?

get a 20″

si-wilson
    Free Member

Druidh, sorry i don’t even know the question to your answer, so am confused about your point 🙂

ragleyrider
    Free Member

Have you got a big enough mantlepiece to put that on GEETEE???
    Thats a lovely example, just wait untill you pile off it on a rock garden, crash smash crunch dint scratch grounch 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks RR!

It’s designed to be ridden and abused and it will be just that. Basically it’s going to get ragged to within an inch of its life.

Am heading over to the Peak on March 5th and will be hooking up with BadlyWiredDog who is also on a RagleyTi. It will be something of a ‘Jedward’ love in. Are you keen to join?

BadlyWiredDog

Because I’m a helpful sort of person, I took a Ragley Ti out for what I’d say was a mostly non-technical ‘general trail bike’ sort of local ride this morning and thought about it. Full disclosure – I’m a pretty average rider, averagely fit, reasonably strong, I like climbs and descents and going along on wiggly things too. I’m not particularly good technically, but I live in the Peak and ride a lot locally, so I get by in a bumbly sort of way.

Anyway, I kind of ran a Blue Pig as a general trail bike for a while and although I loved the geometry, my build was around the 30lb mark and I got tired of dragging that weight up steep climbs, it’ll go up them fine, in a winching, tractor-like sort of way, it won’t do it in a hurry unless you’re a lot stronger than I am. It also felt sluggish on flatter terrain for the same sort of reason.

You can build a Ragley Ti to around 26lb with tough-ish trail components and the difference in feel on the trail is really marked. There’s a real snap and urgency to the Ti that the Blue Pig doesn’t have and it makes it really quite mad. I defy anyone with a soul not to thrash the thing senseless at every opportunity. It just wants to go fast.

The lack of weight makes it a viable all-dayer in a way that the Blue Pig isn’t – for me at least, because I’m too weak, though I’ve done 60-mile Peak rides on one – and so does the compliant, but not soft rear end. All that’s good and for me anyway, there’s nowt wrong with the riding position for general use either, though the low front end might feel odd at first. Pedals really nicely and directly too.

The only thing that ain’t great as a general bike is what it does to moderately technical trails – like this morning it demolished a sort of semi-techy, rocky singletrack descent, er, and it demolished it going up it. And at the top it sort of shrugged in a ‘is that all you’ve got way’. The same climb would have been quite ‘interesting’ on a short-travel hardtail, maybe a singlespeed one. And on moderately technical descents, it just sort of flies over things, pretty much as fast as you dare..

I guess what I’m saying – and I think it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden – is that the bike’s so capable and also so aggressive that potentially you just anaesthetise moderate trails. But that aside, it works just fine.

Obviiously whether that matters to you or not is a personal thing. I sort of like riding being a bit challenging and normally I’d have ridden something like that on my singlespeed.

The trails I’m talking about, if it means anything to you, are up above Mossley/Hollingworth, a mix of moorland double and singletrack, but not particularly rocky or owt.

I don’t know if that helps or makes sense. I guess ultimately you can use pretty much anything within reason as a general trail bike as long as you can pedal it over the trails you want to to ride and it’s no-one else’s business what anyone else finds viable, but I guess I’m saying that in some scenarios, the bike’s almost much too good enough for me, anyway 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

I as out on mine yesterday morning with two mates, one also on a brand new Ragley Ti, the other on a Ti456 (although he actually prefers the handling of his Evil Sovereign, just not the weight).

I’m loving mine. So much that I could almost, (almost mind) give up having any other bike.

I am gobsmacked by what it can do; the trails yesterday were pretty greasy, lots of loamy, wet, greasy rooty turns but the layout of the Ragley means yoy can get the weight forward so that the front gips without having to worry about it tucking under.

I think anyone could ride this bike but in particular it suits a more experienced and capable rider who is willing to get forward on it and attack the trail.

the_lecht_rocks

Geetee. Are you still riding the ragley ??

br
    Free Member

Since you’ve already an Orange 5, probably better to go for something different – 29er Ti?

Northwind

Ooh, thread revival… I borrowed Druidh’s ti for a little while, back when I had my Mmmbop, and it was everything the Bop was and quite a few things that it wasn’t. Too small for me, and I didn’t have long enough to get past the honeymoon period but it was a stunning bike. Best hardtail I’ve ever ridden, I reckon… Totally superior allrounder.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I Love my Blue pig, and I really want a Ti for all the reasons listed by BWD above, I’d just like a lighter version of what I have really

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Ragley ti, whats it like for a general trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.