Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ragley mmmBop seatpost problem
  • flyingmonkeycorps

The seatpost on my mmmBop is constantly slipping… I actually broke a seatclamp trying to tighten it enough so that it didn’t any more. I now have a nice shiny Hope clamp, which seems to just about do the job but I have to properly crank it to get it not to slip.

Anyone else have this problem? It’s a Ragley Spike seatpost, which I’d have thought would work quite well.

wwaswas

there was some slightly overenthusiastic reaming of early frames, I think?

CRC sell a Ragley 27.3 seat post which was brought out to ‘solve’ the problem.

flyingmonkeycorps

Humm. That’s the steel frames though – the ‘Bop is a 30.9 post.

wwaswas

ah, sorry.

might be worth getting it measured, though?

a Thomson post with carbon paste might help?

flyingmonkeycorps

Carbon paste?

Yeah I thought a Thomson with the ribs might be an idea. It’s a reet pain, I love the bike but it’s not a good thing when climbing.

wwaswas

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tacx-carbon-assembly-item105138.html

has lots of ‘granules’ in it – does give a bit more grip twixt seatpost and seattube

flyingmonkeycorps

Ah cool! I might try that with the Spike, see if it makes any difference.

joao3v16
    Free Member

the ‘Bop is a 30.9 post.

?

No, it’s 31.6.

For what it’s worth, I have no problem with my 31.6mm Thomson seat post in my mmmBop frame. Use a Ragley QR seat clamp.

Stoner
    Free Member

LOL, please say OP typo not really trying to clamp wrong size post…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I had the slipping problem with mine. Do you put any grease on the post before inserting? Properly cleaned the seatpost and seat tube with degreaser on mine and it seems ok now.

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm. That’s what I meant. I think. That WOULD explain a lot. Might have to check that when I get home.

Nah it was a typo… It has been greased though, might be worth a good clean and see what difference that makes.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve had a few posts in mine. The slightly worn I-beam post I have slips like a greased banana skin no matter how hard I crank the QR, the nearly new I-beam post has to be cranked up really hard to prevent slippage, and the Reverb doesn’t slip and is the dogs danglies.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had a Thomson on mine with a Hope Clamp no problems with slipping

31.6mm post

flyingmonkeycorps

Well it was pretty greasy, and is no longer… so fingers crossed!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ragley mmmBop seatpost problem’ is closed to new replies.