Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ragley Mmmbop build suggestions
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Hi all,

After realising I wanted a new bike to replace my GT tequesta I thought I’d also like the idea of putting it together myself.

So I bit the bullet and purchased a second hand Ragley Mmmbop in Blue off that well know action site.

Any suggestions on how I could build this up?? I am quite new to MTB and have been doing a few rides roung the dark peaks. Which are quite rocky in places.

Hopefully I can source some deals, second hand, any ideas??

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I had an MmmBop in the Dark peak. I had it built up with:
    pro2/flows and 2.35 nevegals
    SLX/XT drivetrain
    150mm Fox Talas 32s (and revs 150mm with maxle)
    Joplin
    50mm stem and wide bars

Was a cracking bike

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

1×9/10 drivetrain if you’ve got the legs for it i.e. don’t need a granny ring – means you can fit a full chain device.

Big brakes – something like Shimano SLX m666

High Rollers – no point messing about with anything else

Short stem, wide bars

140mm forks that are stiff enough – RS Pikes a good starting place

That covers the basics. Other bits and pieces don’t make too much difference…

benjii19
    Free Member

Fortunateson09 – Member
    1×9/10 drivetrain if you’ve got the legs for it i.e. don’t need a granny ring – means you can fit a full chain device.

I probably havent got the legs for this yet,but was thinking of something like that. Should I go for a double on the front just to be safe??

140mm forks that are stiff enough – RS Pikes a good starting place

I was shown some Pikes at the weekend, any other suggestions?

I would like a dropper post but I dont mind the leaver under the saddle job. as I can’t afford to pay £200 for reverb

I’ve got some 680mm bars from the Tequesta and a shortened stem so will probably use them

rob-jackson
    Free Member

high rise bars

benjii19
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    high rise bars

Yeah they are high rise ones. Only got them about a month ago.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

This now has fox 32s and a 1.5 thompson stem. DH commuter 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

flat pedals and phat tyres (got some nearly new nevegals in 2.35 with side wall protection folding bead you can have for £25)

benjii19
    Free Member

ooOOoo – Member

This now has fox 32s and a 1.5 thompson stem. DH commuter

You’ve lost me

D0NK

I use
    120-150mm-ish forks
    double and bash chainset
    Fat rear tyre, the back end is pretty harsh
    comfy saddle (see above)
    grippy front tyre (minion ST)
    long seatpost (qr)
    short stem
    wide bars
    180/160 brakes

This now has fox 32s

fox 32 forks

and a 1.5 thompson stem.

new forks must be 1.5″ steerer, you have got 1.5 forks or a reducer headset haven’t you?

thompsonthomson

posh stem

DH commuter

dunno but smiley suggests he’s joking 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I liked mine, great fun bikes 8)

I had 120-150mm U-turn forks, IMHO 130 was spot on, 150mm (or longer) and the bottom bracket became a bit high and it felt a little ponderous (IMHO etc etc).

It’s quite a light frame for it’s travel so a lightish build is quite easy to attain if you spec cleverly. Wheels being (as always) the best place to lose wight (within limits of course). Tyre clearance is MAHOOSIVE so pretty much any tyre will fit – I liked it with 2.2″ Conti Rubber Queens.

Short stem and wide bars for fun. I ran this 18″ with a 70mm stem at first but prefered it with a 45mm stem (both with 745mm wide bars).

This build was about 26-27lbs which meant the 1×9 drivetrain worked well.

The Reverb was a later addition; it was fine with a normal post although the QR did need to be done up tight which sounds to be a common complaint.

benjii19
    Free Member

new forks must be 1.5″ steerer, you have got 1.5 forks or a reducer headset haven’t you?

Haven’t got any forks as of yet. I’ll have to wait and see how much I can take out of the “wedding fund”

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Forks

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-rockshox-lyrik-two-step-15-280-

Will sell for £250

My intention was to get a mmmbop to put them on but cant seem to find a 16″ frame anywhere

benjii19
    Free Member

messiah – Member

Wheels being (as always) the best place to lose wight (within limits of course)

Any suggestions? I’ve got no idea on what will do or won’t do. I’m not after the best wheels ever that’ll cost me an arm an a leg. Just something that’ll do the job

D0NK

Haven’t got any forks as of yet

well good news is you can fit any style of fork, you just need to get a headset and stem to match.

wheels, hope hoops are good, I mashed a rear crest on first ride but have upped the tyre pressure and no problems since. Flows might be a better (slightly heavier) option if you are as (or more 😯 ) clumsy as me

benjii19
    Free Member

The frame comes with a step down hope h/set.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Do you want these tyres?

benjii19
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    flat pedals and phat tyres (got some nearly new nevegals in 2.35 with side wall protection folding bead you can have for £25)

I’m going to have to work with my current WTB’s for now. Unfortunately I’ll have to get the other stuff first. Might take you up on it If I have cash left next month

Northwind

2 ways to do it really…
    1) Sturdy stuff, it’s a hardcore hardtail
    2) Cheap stuff, it’s a cheap hardtail.

But either way try it with a big and a small tyre in the back- some people like directness, some people like a bit of squash.

benjii19
    Free Member

2 ways to do it really…
    1) Sturdy stuff, it’s a hardcore hardtail
    2) Cheap stuff, it’s a cheap hardtail.

Very true. I think I’m too excited and want everything at once. Unfortunately It could be a slow one to fund. Patience could be a virtue.

sparkyrhino

ooOOoo your cruel :?,it looks like a puppy with one of those post op collars on. 😯

benjii19
    Free Member

Any ideas on what bottom bracket and cranks??? How much would a decent quality one cost that won’t break.

benjii19
    Free Member

Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset =£109.99

Shimano SLX M662 Shadow 9sp Rear Mech =£39.99

Shimano SLX M660 Top Swing 9sp Front Mech =£23.99

Any alternatives?? I do have a Microshift Marvo XE 8 speed mech on the GT but have no idea how it would compare to Shimano SLX.

FSA FR-331 Freeride Riser Bar = From the old bike

FSA XC-190 Stem = From the old bike

Nukeproof Electron pedals= From the old bike

Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake= 79.99

Forks, got to think about that. £250 maybe.

Seat and post (I’ll knick from the old bike hopefully)

All comes to £500ish. How does this sound. Any parts I could get cheaper? underestimated on?

oops forgot wheels and BB

Pook

put a parachute on the back. And ride it in a zorb. And have some pink tassles on the bars. And strap a pillow to your head.

benjii19
    Free Member

Don’t be daft!! It’ll take me a couple of months to afford to build the thing. I love the frame though Pooktopher

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Mine was built up quite cheaply – parts from here and eBay mainly:

Fox float 130mm
    Crossrides (with mountain kings front, x king rear)
    1×9 (slx mech & cassette, fsa crank, blackspire ring, sram chain, ssc guide), xt shifter
    Formula k18 brakes, XT bb, ssc headset, charge spoon, Thomson post and some other bits and bobs

It’s a fun ride – fast, pretty light and climbs brilliantly.

benjii19
    Free Member

Thanks for that, what would you say are the essentials to spend good money on?? and the things I can steal from the GT and upgrade after.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Benj – for cranks aim for doer or slx or higher.
    Mine was mainly slx stuff.

My only tip is try and make the back end as comfy as possible. Big tyre, flexy post, comfy saddle. I kind of miss mine – got rid of as I felt the back end was harsh. Otherwise a fab fab frame.

benjii19
    Free Member

http://flic.kr/p/cFcxhd
    Finally done.

Ragley Mmm Bop 18″
    Rockshox Sektor set at 130mm
    Microshit Marvo xe rear and front mech
    Thomson Elite seat post
    Dt swiss rims on hope 2 hubs
    Hope step down head set

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Mmmbop build suggestions’ is closed to new replies.