• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ragley frames – OK for a shorty?
  • RustySpanner

Currently riding a 15 inch Rock Lobster with a 90mm stem. Sizing is fine, handling is great for XC but a little nervous on the steep downhill bits.

Have some bits knocking about and considering an mmmBop but worried it might be a bit too big.
    I'm 5'6, anyone of that size riding a 16 inch Ragley?

Have seen the sizing info on the website, but can't find the Merlin sizing chart to compare.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Standover height will be a problem. I'm about 5'10" on a 16" MmmBop and I wouldn't want to be any shorter. Gentleman vegetables are very close to the top tube. Top tube is quite long too.

So I would say you're too short but Brant will probably reply in a bit to tell me how wrong I am.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I used to have a Patriot with no standover clearance at all and I went on to have 2 more kids.

lyons
    Free Member

Love my new mmmbop, but I'm 5,11 and the 16 inch is perfect. I'd say it's too big purely because the top tube is so long…. I have a friend who is selling a 16 inch Santa chris chameleon, which is alot smaller, thetoptibe ks shorter, and would probablybe a really good fit… Of interest?

miketually
    Free Member

I used to have a Patriot with no standover clearance at all and I went on to have 2 more kids.

Standover is totally over-rated.

nbt

I'm 5'9", I run plenty of seatpost on my blue pig, but with a 32" inseam the standover is pretty close – Miketually may not care about his boys, but I like a bit of clearance on mine just in case I have to make a forced dismount! Having said that I'm finding that I'm riding stuff on the piggie that I never would ride before.

Where are you based? There's a demo day out of Marple tomorrow, they'll have a blue pig and Ragley ti for you to try, if you need a 16" and they don't have one you can ask Andy or Rick to call me and I'll pop down with mine

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-west-demo-day-sunday-14th-march-2010

tjr666
    Free Member

I have a 16" Ragley and indeed I am a short ar$e at just 5'8" and it fits fine to be honest! Just get one!

brant
    Free Member

with a 32" inseam the standover is pretty close

well, yes, when you're stood over the bike, with both feet flat on the floor and the bike vertical. I can't think I "stand over" my bike like that, and if I'm off it, I tend to be bouncing on my head down the trail, or in a bush or something.

nbt

well, yes, when you're stood over the bike, with both feet flat on the floor and the bike vertical. I can't think I "stand over" my bike like that, and if I'm off it, I tend to be bouncing on my head down the trail, or in a bush or something.

Maybe your approach is to ride till you fall off, but quite often I will stop the bike and put a foot down if something looks risky. I just like the reassurance that my feet will reach the floor before my boys reach the toptube 🙂

brant
    Free Member

quite often I will stop the bike and put a foot down if something looks risky

But you will do this whilst dropping the bike over at an angle to one side, I'd think. Not keeping the bike vertical. I'm not saying that standover height is irrelevant, but it's just not as important as you might think. I'd guess you've never ridden a motocross bike – not good standover on those 😉 (and the q-factor is very wide too).

RustySpanner

Well, ta for all the replies & thanks for the offer nbt.

Can't make the demo day tomorrow unfortunately, but 2 LBS's stock Ragley, so will ask them if they have one I can try.

The Rock Lobster is the first bike I've had for ages with proper standover, and whilst I'm sure it's not an issue for the super-skilful I'm afraid the possibility of crushed nuts or bruised plums proper puts me off my stroke when trying to ride stuff that's outside my comfort zone.

I've had to do the 'lean the bike to the side when stationary' thing
    loads of times too – and frankly it's not ideal.

Come on Richards, built something suitable for the dwarves amongst us or I'll come round, stand on a chair and punch you right in the kneecaps.

billyboulders
    Free Member

32" inside leg myself and ride a 16" ragley ti (afik all the frames are the same dimensions).True standover is closer than my (steel) 456 was but theres still plenty of room for "the boys" to swing freely :-).

Fantastic riding frame, I was a bit aprehensive about the reported "nu school"-ness of the geometry (mostly worried about my own very definite un "nu school"-ness!) but after trying one I was sold and now I've had a few miles on it I love the way it rides, up, along and, best of all, down. If your not sure get a demo there seems to be plenty of LBS that have one to try.

damion
    Free Member

I'm with Rusty on this one. I spent years riding bikes too big for me and struggling, until Leisure lakes managed to get hold of a 14" Zaskar for me in 1996 and have since never ridden anything larger than a 15". Had to stick with Kona's for a long time but they've started making them too long these days.

Then came the 14" inbred, fantastic clear gap between the crucials and the frame. I'd hoped this would have continued with Ragley but alas no. Yes I ride motorbikes (had to sell the KTM cause I kept falling over at traffic lights, and have been restricted to a hornet for some time).

Please Brant, think of the shorties…..

(oh, I am on 5'2' with a 29" inside leg though)

firestarter
    Free Member

i have very little standover on my ragley but everytime ive fell off and theres been a few ive always been flung forward or sideways and gone nowhere near the toptube 🙂 great frames btw

miketually
    Free Member

Miketually may not care about his boys

Testicles are totally over-rated.

quite often I will stop the bike and put a foot down if something looks risky

I can do that while still sat on the saddle, on tiptoes. But, I have stupid-big feet.

tjr666
    Free Member

Learn to trackstand!! (I can't shout about this though as I am $hite at trackstands, but would make sense). Leaning over the bike is not that much of a hassle, in fact it would be a shame to ditch the blue pig idea just because of that.

Whatever though its your cash, just give it a shot first !

ahwiles
    Free Member

this thread has been hijacked!

2 ragley questions:

1) how twangy is a pig?

2) would an 18" ragley be about the same size as my 18" inbred? (daft question i know, but Brant does do 'sizing' differently than others, i don't know if on-one sizing is the same as Ragley sizing)

nbt

Not ridden an 18" ragley, but have ridden an 18" and a 16" inbred, the 16" blue pig is more or less the same as a 16" inbred

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ragley frames – OK for a shorty?’ is closed to new replies.