Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ragley Blue Pig yes or no
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hi got the chance of a 2010 Ragley Blue Pig anyone got one if so are they any good ? Ta

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I do. It’s as described in most reviews – burly and chuckable. Climbs well too.

Finish and possible bad welds are known problems, but I love mine.

It’s a true do-it-all hardtail [with the compromises that entails].

brant
    Free Member

Straight steerer only due to 34mm head tube but very lovely still.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had a blue pig x twice. Sold them both and wish i hadnt.

Northwind

Never had one myself but did have an Mmmbop (actually 3 Mmmbops, trying to find one that wasn’t defective…) and then a Ragley Ti. The geometry/handling is the same for all 3 of them and it is absolute bloody genius. Not just for bombing down hills, it’s a superb allrounder and excellent technical climber. Loved it.

2010 will have a 27.2 seatpost I think? Downer on a bike like this. Straight steerer is a minor negative but not a biggy.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I had a 2011 mk2 (44mm headtube, 30.9 seat tube). Loved it, sold it a couple of years ago and regretted selling it ever since.

goby

Yep I got a mk1 and it’s a great bike! Just take it by the bars and go thrash it! It keep you coming back for more! 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I used to have one – brilliant bike, grumbly on flatter stuff, but like a steamroller downhill and appreciably more comfortable than the aluminium-framed Mmmbop. Stick something like a Pike on the front, big tyres and go play. I liked it so much I bought a Ragley Ti, which does similar things but with significantly less weight.

ads678

I’ve got one, it’s bloody great. Keep thinking of selling it to fund another fs but then I ride and remember why I’m not selling it!!

As said above it goes up, down and across and leaves you with a bloody big smile on your face.

Buy it.

Mines set up 1×10 with u turn pikes and a 27.2 tmars.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Yes yes yes. Love my mk1. It can do pretty much anything. It may feel a bit odd at first, but stick with it and the rewards will be amazing.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Had a 2014 26er. Quality was a joke, the worst I’ve ever known! Shame because the frame although heavy was almost perfect for aggressive riders. So much fun to drift, smash through rock gardens and blast down steep chutes! Could definitely lead to ugly accidents as it encouraged you to thrash the **** out of it!

Was a surprisingly good climber, I’ve cleaned awkward climbs I still struggle with on a full sus.

If the BP could be made lighter, 853 main tubes maybe, reasonably priced and keep it’s compliant nature, IMO it would be the best steel HT on the market. The new one seems to have a better finish, is heavier, TBH I don’t know what effect the changes to 27.5 have had compared to older versions!

cjr61

Yes! Used to have mk1 130mm fox forks then sold it. Great fun bike.

BillOddie

I had one, brilliant bike!

Fork availability might be a bit of a pain now though.

brant
    Free Member

A kind of new BluePig-esque chromoly hardtail from a new brand launching soon that I’ve been working on.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What Northwind said. I’ve still got my mmmBop and the handling is spot on. If you want a very capable and fun to ride trail bike then the Blue Pig would be great.

chestrockwell

Check the seat tube and the head tube. Mate bought a mk1, liked it but the qc was all over the place and his seat post didn’t fit. Tried to change it on warranty and kept getting fobbed off until they admitted they had no stock as had had problems with what they did have. He waited ages for a mk2 on warranty and when that turned up the head tube was oval. He gave up and got a refund.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never riden one but been on a few rides with others and they seem to do what they are supposed to as a “hardcore” hardtail, trails and jumps etc 🙂 I was considering one or a Piglet around 2012 but went for a Cotic BFe due to quality control issues around that time. I am still riding and very happy with my BFe (a bit less hardcore possibly than a Pig ?) If the Pig frame is still holding up it sounds like it was a good one

voodoo_chile

Got a bigwig really responsive tubing and geometry

stennah
    Free Member

Mixed reviews then might go for a slackline or Dialled instead thanks to everyone who has answered much appreciated

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not a Blue Pig:

What have you started, Brant?

busta
    Free Member

I had a 2012 blue pig. I liked it, build quality was fine but it was a bit too ‘hardcore’ for most of my riding so I sold it. The guy I sold it to raves about it.

rhid

I had a Blue Pig X for a few year and loved it. Sold it to try a 29er and wish I hadn’t. Got a Slackline but still miss my blue pig. If I could find a Blue Pig X in Med I would be really tempted….

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mixed reviews then might go for a slackline or Dialled instead thanks to everyone who has answered much appreciated

I’ve not ridden a Rageley, but have had a Slackline and I loved that little bike an awful. It was the earlier 853 version so straight steerer and 27.2 seat post, but it was lovely to ride and was great fun with some big forks up front.

Personally I preferred it with 150mm forks over 130mm. It felt like a nicer bike to ride than the BFe it replaced.

stennah
    Free Member

Very tempted with a slackline got 140mm revs to put on it and it’s the 853 version too

mindmap3
    Free Member

Very tempted with a slackline got 140mm revs to put on it and it’s the 853 version too

As I said, I loved mine even though it was too small for me (16.5 inch). It was just fun to ride and was happy on trails and mucking about on the local DH trails. It had a much softer feel to it than the Switchback that replaced it.

At first it was just a play bike, but I liked it so much that I started doing longer rides on it and it was just too small. Dropper options are limited too which may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

ehrob

My 2014 Mk2 Blue Pig is a beast. I guess I got lucky with the QC. I’d love to try a Slackline, but I can’t justify it as the pig is such a hoot. Quality bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mixed reviews then might go for a slackline or Dialled instead thanks to everyone who has answered much

What I did was buy a BFe and a Dialled Prince Albert Classic (853) frame. The PAC is still in the wrapper alongside various new and used buts to build it up 😳 I bought both as they where on sale and I’d heard the BFe was “harsh”, in fact its been totally brilliant and so I’ve kept both. A Dialled Alpine ismprobably closer to a Pig than the PA, depends what you are looking for, Slacklines are well liked on here.

stennah
    Free Member

Not tempted to sell the PAC then jambalaya (wink wink)

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve a Slackline 631 which i love. Have a 150mm on the front. When i was looking the Bfe and Blue Pig were both on the shortlist as was the DA but the slackline ticked more boxes.
    Heard that the 853mk1 version of the slackline was a bit more compliant, but i’ve had no problems with mine and i can run a reverb and tapered fork

vickypea
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand Ragley Blue Pig about a year ago as I wanted something a bit more robust than my other hardtail for trips to the Alps, etc. I got really attached to it, and as others have said, although it’s quite heavy I was surprised by how well it manages technical climbs. I like it!

treklee
    Free Member

Again, not a pig, but a big wig. Absolutely smitten with it, just gone for some 140mm forks to replace some 120. Can’t wait to try it out

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stennah truth be known I am a horder 😳 I’ve had it 4 years now, the same amount of time as the wheels and the new groupset and brakes 18 months. It was supposed to be this winter’s project this year with forks from my fs, now I need the fs for riding !

If I change my mind I’ll message you

stennah
    Free Member

Fair enough no harm in asking got someone sending me some evil sov pics later he might sell so fingers crossed

Northwind

Controversial this on STW but I thought the Sov was pretty rubbish tbh. Heavy, lumpen, and the geometry of an XC bike. Might be good for jumping etc since it’s short and steep but it’s not even in the same fight as the Ragley. We’d traded, my Ti for his Sov for a test, he didn’t look too happy handing mine back. Slackline is very nice.

Build quality on the alu and steel ragleys used to be gash tbh- like I say I owned 3 mmmbops, the last one’s paint wasn’t quite right but it was the one that you could at least say it was reasonable that it’d been allowed to leave the factory. The first one was completely pissed, it obviously hadn’t been qc’d either. As for the Pig, well they just made a load of 27.3 seatposts for it 😆 Total fiasco.

But! You’re not buying a new frame in 2010 so chances are, first owner dealt with all this bollocks. Is it someone on here? There’s a fair chance it’ll be the chap that just bought my Ti (Dan), if it is, it’s for sale because he’s upgrading not because he’s dumping.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So surely the answer to the actual question
    Blue Pig, Yes or No?
    is “Yes” 😉

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone I have got myself an evil sovereign time will tell if I made the right decision

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Blue Pig yes or no’ is closed to new replies.