Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ragley Blue Pig mech hanger issue …Brant content???
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi all, to clarify this is a mk1 frame which I have had for what I am guessing is about 4 years? It’s currently my second bike and being used for fun commuting with slick tyres and rigid forks. A few days ago my chain went all slack in top gear. I was slightly confused but nipped up the bscrew and carried on home. On a more in depth look I have found a bizarre but potentially frame buggering issue. Pictures explain,

As you can see the little b screw stop is tiny and as such the saint mech in question had ridden up over the top. My initial thoughts were that maybe the mech had come loose and broken a bit of the stopper off but as the side profile suggests this doesn’t look to be the case the picture from the inside shows how little of the stopper hits the mech. I am left wondering how on earth this has held up until now??? I am shocked that I have never noticed before but I guess the mech goes on from te outside and you hold it up, screw it on, let it drop so the screew hits the stopper then look no further.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It looks like the whole mech hanger is under sized. I know it was always a bit of a thin dropout because the saint bolt goes right through the frame and rubs the chain if you use top gear (which I didn’t for this reason).

This was an early mk1 that was pre ordered from CRC, Was there any sort of issues with QC early on or anything? I appreciate it’s a bit old now but just looking for info really, Perhaps you could shed some light Brant?

Cheers,

John

Conan257
    Free Member

Do you have any idea on who Brant is?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Yes??

joshvegas
    Free Member

Conan clearly doesnt know who Brant was!

Doesnt look uverly buggered you could just make a new plate to replace the one on the deraileur*

* assuming its flat plate.

brant
    Free Member

This is rather a long time ago. But I do remember something.
    With some Rd’s this happened.
    I seem to recall some people packing that area with something pin like. But I can’t remember more.
    Talisker evening tonight sorry.

Will investigate.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

It is flat plate yes but I don’t know anyone who would be able to make the plate up and swap it over I’m afraid.

Cheers Brant, any advice would be appreciated. I really don’t want this frame to die but now it has slipped once I know it will just do it again.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I tiny bit of thought and a satisfying couple of hours with some tools would solve this surely?

Northwind

Pretty trivial matter to get someone to blob on a bit of weld there, then file it flat. Not ideal and you shouldn’t have to but it’ll fix it 100%. You could mod the mech pretty easily but it’s the frame that’s wrong.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

They only way I can think would be perhaps a make a little L shape piece that fills the gap and gives a larger stop that bolts on between the frame and mech? Would that be strong enough though? I was hoping that Brant would have seen this before and perhaps have had a solution before I have a bash myself.

Still baffled as to how it has made it this far.

davewalsh
    Free Member

If I were you I’d remove the little tab from the mech, drill the holes out a bit bigger then re-assemble using the extra clearance to get the tab closer to the frame. Should provide enough extra contact to do the job.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m going to inspect mine now…

No this Pig is fine.

I’m with NW, blob of weld and a file

bigyinn
    Free Member

All thats required is a bit of coke can between the stop and the mech. The mech B stop & spring tension should hold it in place.
    Actually, if you open up the holes on the stop bit you may get enough movement to move it down and sit on the hanger stop more.

joshvegas
    Free Member

It might be the frame thats wrong but the paint work looks fine so why go at it with a welder?

Increasing the holes probably would do it.

Northwind

Just because the frame’s more likely to have other mechs fitted in the future and the mech’s more likely to be fitted to other frames, fixing the fault means everything still works with everything else. It’s a more permanent fix, too.

Also, the mech is probably worth more than the frame 😉

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Haha, it’s the old 9 speed Saint I’m afraid else it would be! Ihave a plan with a small metal plate first of all. The frame isnt worth much now but I just love it. I bought a full sus frame and transplanted the bits with the intention of selling the frame but I just couldn’t do it so built it up as a rigid with cheap superstar wheels to get it rolling. Just got a set of forks from ebay that should arrive soon to give it some proper use again. It has done Gawton, Fort Willaim WC course, Afan, Glentress etc.. one of the few hardtails that can push full sus pace. It must live on!

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

OK, I have just had a go with trying to get a little shaped plate to fit into place but it has become rapidly clear that I have neither the skills or tools to do this. The plate idea doesn’t really work as it is too small for me to work with so I’m thinking some weld might be the only way forward which brings me to the next question.

Anyone in the Exeter area have the skills to help with this?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Blue Pig mech hanger issue …Brant content???’ is closed to new replies.