Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ragley Blue Pig
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Been offered a Blue Pig with FSA headset in what looks like new condition for £190. Firstly is this a good price?

I would be using it to replace a DMR Trailstar. The kind of riding I do is heading towards more of a downhill style, but I also like dirt jumping and xc trail centres like Cannock, and “proper” xc like The Long Mynd. Would probably keep the Trailstar for DJ and skateparks as it’s perfect for that.

I generally really like riding the Trailstar but it’s quite short on the top tube (21.5″) and also has a steep head angle (71 degrees). However it has a fairly low bb of around 11.8″. Now would going up to a slightly higher BB (12.4″) but slacker head angle (ala Blue Pig) give me much more stability for downhill or is “slacker = better” just marketing hype? I’ve not ridden any other hardtails so it’s hard to tell whether I’ll benefit much from a slacker HA…

What do Blue Pig riders reckon? Also post pictures for inspiration 😛

RealMan
    Free Member

A blue pig new is £220-250, so that’s an ok price. Slacker is better for dh, yes.

vdubber67
    Free Member

£219 new for the frame? Depends what as new condition is really. For the extra £30 you’d get a warrantied frame I presume?

Blue Pig sounds like a good choice given your riding. I have one at present. It’s as happy on night ride blasts round the woods as it is in the Peak district or Scotland.

Not really into discussing / thinking about head angles, so I’d say just test ride one. The bike shop in Church Stretton appears to have a test one…?

wors

Get one, love mine. Done 6 hr rides in the lakes no probs. Downhill it is at its best though.

_tom_
    Free Member

£219 new for the frame? Depends what as new condition is really. For the extra £30 you’d get a warrantied frame I presume?

Good point, forgot CRC had em for that price.

Does the Church Stretton shop have a site/point of contact so I can see about going in for a test?

Northwind

Very happy with my Mmmbop, not exactly the same thing obviously but the geometry is identical and that’s what makes the Mmmbop as good as it is. Not sure I’d want to haul around that much gas pipe myself though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

there’s a further 10% off for 24hrs too now I think? Saw a post earlier about that. So it sneaks in at under 200… worth a look.

Babyjack
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on your thread Tom.
    Just to straighten things up a little;

£190 was for the frame – posted

However,you said that you would collect in person so the price would be minus the P&P(about £15)

The frame has no dents or paint chips & is covered in helitape. There’s a mark where the front mech band was. The decals have peeled ever so slightly,but if you buy a new one the same will happen to that.

Also,The BB & headtube were faced on purchase.

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the term ‘as new’ because people take this literally.To clarify,This frame IS used.

Gaspipe! it was 26Lbs fully built, with no huge headtube in sight 😉

Sorry again Tom, I’m not being arsey, but I would obviously like to sell the frame!
    The choice, as they say, is yours

Darren

Northwind

“Gaspipe! it was 26Lbs fully built, with no huge headtube in sight”

The ad says it’s the “lightest in its class”. That class includes the Blue Pig and the Summer Season apparently :mrgreen:

zangolin
    Free Member

Tom
    CRC have 10% off with Facebook code till about 3pm tomorrow plus if you do cashback that’s another 4% (Quidco + another site?) – so new Blue Pig for about £190 ish (black 16″).

druidh
    Free Member

Babyjack – Member

Gaspipe! it was 26Lbs fully built, with no huge headtube in sight

In your dreams!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i love my pig, but understand why other people may not be so impressed*.

it climbs well, and descends better.

(*unusual geometry for a hardtail – not the lightest frame ever made – some unique details (which i like))

that’s not a bad price – but ultimately only you should decide if you should or shouldn’t spend more and get a new one…

Northwind

“In your dreams!”

Wouldn’t usually do this but yup, agreed, that’s barely heavier than my Mmmbop and it’s built pretty light for a bike like this (old 130mm Revs, Traversee rims, XTR cranks etc, carbon seatpost and bars). If you’ve built a 26lb Pig I can’t see how you’ve done it without daft compromises like pure XC kit.

Babyjack
    Free Member

Frame now sold, but not to Tom.
    BTW, it was 26.3lbs Fully built,on calibrated digital scales.

Tom,I’m sure CRC can sort you out with a good deal.

Northwind

Go on then, so what was the build?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Blue Pig’ is closed to new replies.