Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RAF Reserves
  • MtbCol
    Free Member

I'm thinking of signing up but would like to speak to someone who has first hand experience and can answer some questions regarding certain stuff.
    If anyone can help, please give me a shout ta.

(Or is this going to be a query that stumps the STW Massive 😉 )

Surfr
    Free Member

Looked into it a few years ago and most of the jobs were with RAF Regiment or similar posts. So more basic soldiering than interesting engineering/flying/radar type areas of the business. I only looked briefly though so don't take my word as gospel.

wwaswas

"is this going to be a query that stumps the STW Massive"

doubt it, tbh, there's a few serving RAF people on here…

MtbCol
    Free Member

I've had a look at our local Squadron, and it is indeed a Regiment Squadron, but the posts offered aren't all Gunner type positions. And that leads to one of my Q's regarding the medical, seeing as I wear glasses for driving, how would that affect me in a Logistics Support role for example.
    The other issue would of course be current employment related and would I be wasting mine and the Squadrons time if my boss suddenly decided to get awkward and refuse me time off for annual training/camp for example.
    I have sent off for an information pack and am awaiting that, but I think I need a heads up on the above before I waste the time of a recruitment officer…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Our MD does it. That's as much help as I can give!

Just phone up your nearest recruitment office & ask, simplest way to get an answer for this i'd say.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Well, my boss has pretty much put paid to my thoughts on this. I had a chat to him today about me applying, and once he heard the amount of time off I would require, he pretty much told me the only way I could do it was if I found other employment first.

Bah.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Mtbcol i believe like the TA he would not have the legal right to refuse you SaBRE will answer alot of your questions.

TooTall
    Free Member

Given your employer doesn't have to give you time off for training, you'd have to use your own leave for such things.
    How do your family feel about that? Your willingness to spend quite a bit of your own time working away from them? The very high possibility of deployment on ops?
    I'm just highlighting some of the big bits to think about for what is an excellent way to spend your time – but it is a big commitment.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Well, my employer has basically pointed out that the weekend time off would be breaking my contract of employment as all members of staff are required to work Saturdays apart from when annual holidays are used.
    The other issue is that the company is a small family firm and if I were to take extended time out, he would need to employ 2 extra staff to cover myself and any other absences which he could not afford to do in the present climate. (We're unable to double up on holidays due to staff levels)
    It's a sticky one, and to be honest, I'd rather look for another job first now that I know the attitude of my current boss.

My family is fine with it, after all my wife is from a family who have serving military, and we both have friends who are regularly deployed – her brother has not long been back from a second deployment to Afghanistan.

For me, the RAF taught me to fly and and how to navigate in the air (whilst as an Air Cadet) and I would love to give something back in return.

I guess if I can't go down the Reserves route, then a visit to my local ATC squadron and enquiry about being an adult instructor may suit me better..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RAF Reserves’ is closed to new replies.