Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Radios 5's Obsession with Horse Racing
  • nickc

Have they got some licence requirement to bang on about a ‘sport’ that no-one gives a flying wotsit about?

If Cornelius Lycett or Claire Baldwin (the nations new treasure) tell me about a dead race commentator again this evening I might just throw something at the radio….

grrrr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never really got horse racing as a ‘sport’. More of an excuse for a gamble and a day out.

Stoner
    Free Member

You still listen to the wireless? Mind you, that far north, shortwave is probably your only communication link anyway…

nickc

you’ll have to speak up, I’m reading by gaslight up here you know … 😉

MoreCashThanDash

That sport no one listens to?

You are aware that millions of pounds change hands every day on the back of that sport? All those bookies aren’t in it to cater to a tiny minority.

There is a whole wide world of different interests and experiences beyond our own selfish bubbles you know.

harvey
    Free Member

your entitled to you opinion, however horse racing is a fantastic sport loved and enjoyed by many, whether you are up for a bet or simply enjoy watching top equine athletes ridden by some of the fittest, toughest sportsmen in british sport

langylad
    Free Member

Tis medium wave don’t you know 😉 And i agree, horse racing is about gambling, not sport

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m surprised there’s time for it what with all the football coverage.

loddrik
    Free Member

I love radio 5. Except when it covers bloody golf, cricket, horse racing and tennis. And **** rugby.

mefty
    Free Member

Peter O’Sullevan was one of the great commentators from the golden age of BBC Sport, like Murray Walker, Bill McLaren etc etc. The least he deserves is a tribute on Radio Football Live. I am also pleased to see they are also doing a tribute to Richie Benaud on Sunday.

EDIT: nearly 6 million tickets are sold a year

zigzag69
    Free Member

I’m surprised there’s time for it what with all the football cricket boxing cycling rugby league sport I don’t like coverage.

RustySpanner

Don’t forget the left wing bias.
    They’ve got to fit that in somewhere too.

Stainypants

I love radio 5 but Wimbledon fortnight does my head in.

sc-xc

Golf is the one that gets me. Why do they put that on the radio?

seadog101

Nope, don’t get the excitement either. Just a way of exchanging sums of money for smaller sums of money, and for the very well healed to show off.

aracer
    Free Member

Strangely enough I actually find horse racing interesting in a sporting sense – have ridden horses enough to appreciate the idea of riding one as fast as possible, and trying to go faster than somebody else (is that really so different to racing anything else?) But thoroughly put off by the culture that surrounds it – not into gambling, which whatever some might say is the main reason most people are interested.

Though I gave up listening to 5live on a regular basis ages ago – so bored with football all the time, even out of season (why are they so obsessed with that – who gives a flying wotsit about it?) Tend to stick to local radio and just switch to TMS when that’s on (yeah, yeah, who gives a flying wotsit about cricket 😉 )

CaptJon
    Free Member

The rights are cheap. Providing coverage is cheap. There is loads of it so they can air lots and claim they aren’t dominated by football.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Radios 5's Obsession with Horse Racing’ is closed to new replies.