• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Radiator covers and Thermostat valves
  • timraven

So, Mrs Raven would like radiator covers, I’m not that keen because of a reduction in efficiency, also they are all on thermostatic valves. I see no point in putting the valves inside the cover so do I just cut the cover to leave the valves out? I really don’t want to be changing all the valves to remotes.

What’s the opinion of STW?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Our house has got radiator covers over the TRVs and it isn’t a problem. It’s not like you’re adjusting the TRVs all the time is it?

globalti
    Free Member

Tsk…. she wants radiator covers so she can go round and open all the valves to full and you won’t notice. Thermostat wars have been going on in our house for years.

timraven

It’s not adjustment it’s that they will be within the cover and not the room, so they must shut off early or not at all.

Maybe I’m over thinking it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Radiator covers do effectively insulate the radiator from the rest of the room so thermostatic valve will shut off early and warm the air within the cover. However If you fully open the valve it is no longer thermostatically controlled – or it isn’t on the valves I have, so just open it up to full. We have a radiator cover in our hallway. That rad doesn’t have a thermostatic valve on it but the hall is the coolest room in the whole house despite the rad not being thermostatically controlled – but it’s fighting with the front door and warm air rising up the stairs to the landing. We’re ditching the cover for a Console Table to hopefully get better circulation around the radiator (or convector which is what they really are).

ransos
    Free Member

So, Mrs Raven would like radiator covers, I’m not that keen because of a reduction in efficiency, also they are all on thermostatic valves. I see no point in putting the valves inside the cover so do I just cut the cover to leave the valves out? I really don’t want to be changing all the valves to remotes.

What’s the opinion of STW?

The TRV won’t work properly unless it’s outside the cover. I even had the same problem with a bin next to the TRV in our kitchen – I moved the bin and the radiator came back on.

timraven

I’m going to try fitting the cover with the valve outside, it’ll make the rad snug to the cover but I don’t think that’ll be a problem.

Cheers all.

unovolo
    Free Member

Best thing I ever did with a radiator cover was bin it, maybe it was the style but seemed to really reduce the amount of heat going into the room.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How much will the radiator cover cost? Why does she want it? is the rad looking a bit scabby or something? could you get a new radiator fitted to appease her?. I’ve no idea about the costs tbh, but removing/replacing a rad from the system isn’t an issue AFAIA. Stelrad Compact are fairly cheap and look good new, Stelrad Deco are twice the price and look smart, either might be a reasonable price/compromise against something that’s not really a good idea.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Radiator covers significant reduce the heating efficiency. My ex-wife wanted them in the lounge and frankly the room was a pita to get warm after they where fitted. If you must have them make sure you can open the “grill” eg by having it on a small chain/hook and pivot from the bottom (parents in law have this and it works well)

I personally think thermostats are a bit of a waste of time and just another thing to go wrong. Good old fashioned value works well.

andysredmini
    Free Member

We had them in a few rooms when we moved into our new house. We hated the look of them as they were all ornate and decorative. Proper old person looking things. We were amazed how much warmer the rooms were once we binned them. I think it was partly because they hold the heat but mainly they probably skew the trv’s and cause them to shut off early.

spacemonkey

We have some Jack Stonehouse covers. Nicely finished MDF, easy to fit and the horizontal slat design looks the part (as opposed to that more ornate Victorian style).

Easy to get ones hand in and adjust a valve if necessary.

No loss in heat or any other issues whatsoever here.

tjagain

put the TRVs horizontally so they stick out from under the covers?

T1000
    Free Member

If you want to use covers why not use TRVs with remote sensors? You should be able to get new heads to match the existing valve bodies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Radiator covers and Thermostat valves’ is closed to new replies.