Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Radeon r9270x flickering issues
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Hi all, bought a radeon r9270x a week ago now and ive still not managed to get it working, it works in the machine but when i view pictures i got blue and green particles in the background, same with YouTube videos, i then try battlefield 3 and 4 and it just looks a mess, lines flashing all over the screen, lines coming from the sky it all looks ridiculous! i took the card back to the shop to be tested and it came back fine, they told me it could either be a driver issue, my screen or my screen cable or my bios update, ive updated everything and checked what i was told everything’s fine, now im completely suck for ideas, im close to taking it back and getting a full refund im not happy at all, anyone else had this issue or similar probs or know where i can get a fix for this that would be great!

Pc spec
    ————–

CPU- i7 920 @2.67ghz

GRX- Radeon r9270x 2 gig pcie

Mobo- Asus p6t-se

Mem- 8gig corsair 2×2 2×2 1600mhz

PSU- corsair cx600w

Thanks.

wwaswas

try a different screen and cable as that’s an easy swap-out. Shop should be able to help?

My monitor only works on an analogue cable with one of my machines – I get red dots all over the place if I try and use the digital one. It’s only for work stuff so not a big issue for me, though.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive tried my girlfriends screen and it does it on there too, tried her cable too and same problem :s

Russell96

Did you remove the previous graphics card drivers before installing the card and then the new drivers?

If not then un-install the all the graphics card drivers, this tool at Guru3D is handy for cleaning everything out. http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html use if in safe mode.

Then have you used the latest AMD Catalyst 13.12 drivers?

Is the temp when at idle in the desktop and when under load OK? If you go in the Catalyst control centre / Performance / AMD Overdrive it will display the temp and fan speed.

Have you looked at the graphic card makers site for any BIOS updates for it?

However a quick Google of “r9 270x video flickering” brings up pages of results are they similar?

Ps running a R9 280X no problems here.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Test with a VGA cable instead or HDMI or DVI.

Also see if you can test with a different PSU. The R9-270X will pull a fair amount of power (when gaming) and if your PSU is knackered weird problems with graphics cards are not unheard of.

Also definitely try a clean driver install.

Russell96

One trick you can try to see if it might be power related is underclock the GPU. If you go in the Catalyst Control Centre / AMD Overdrive – tick the box to alter the GPU speed and set it to say 20% less than it’s default and give that a try if everything is OK then it could be pointing towards the PSU.

When I installed my R9 280X my PSU was of a wattage that was above the minimum recommended for the card with more than enough AMPs on the 12V rails feeding the card, but it was crashing the PC on 3D Mark. I did a bit of research and found out that when used heavily or over an extended period of time a PSU will loose some of its initial wattage capacity.

So I underclocked and it all worked fine, so ended up installing a new PSU.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh i removed the previous drivers before installing the new ones, i bought a new psu with it too and ive even tried my old one and still nothing :/

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Mobo or the card then. What was your last card?

Cougar

I’d wager they’ve not tested it properly; they’ve plugged it in, gone “yup, that works” and fired it back to you. Make sure they know how to replicate the problem and seek confirmation as to how they’ve tested it.

Take photographs of the screen so they know what they’re looking for.

mushrooms
    Free Member

You could give omega drivers a go, Omegadrivers.net
    I used them for years whenever I had radeon cards and have them in my old laptop.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

my last card was radeon 5800 1 gig pci-e this works fine as ive put this one back in now, im going to the shop on the weekend and telling em what the crack is, this will be my 3rd time now going :/ they said for refunds they want a 25% restocking fee :O cheeky! just wish i could fix the issue tbh, ill try omegadrivers though.. keep em coming guys thanks.

Cougar

Did you buy from the shop (as in, strolling through the door) or on the Internet? Can we assume Distance Selling Regulations don’t apply here?

If you’re returning a faulty item, they can’t charge a restocking fee. Are they seriously proposing to restock something which is faulty? 😯

I don’t think they’re someone I’d want to do business with. I’d be telling them that you are rejecting the goods as they are faulty, and you expect a full refund as per the Sale of Goods Act. Then take your custom elsewhere.

They are in breach of contract by supplying goods not fit for purpose and not of satisfactory quality. They have no legal rights to force a repair / replacement on you, and no legal rights to impose a restocking fee. They should be paying costs for the return of the item, unless they clearly communicated to you before the sale that they wouldn’t. Also, the onus is on them to prove that it’s not faulty, not on you to prove that it is.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yes i went into the shop and bought it, i got home, put it in, installed the drivers, and problems.. i tried more drivers, tried another screen another cable and still nothing.. i took it back to the shop and they told me nothings wrong with the card as they tested it to the max apparently.. they said be cafefull its hot.. lol got home and still no joy.. ive just used guru 3d and another driver and still no joy :(:( they told me i would get charged a restock fee for bringing back items that are not faulty..

Cougar

Can you try it in another machine, or from a Linux liveCD even? (If it’s symptomatic in a different OS, it’s not a driver issue, it’s a physical problem).

Can you take your PC in, or can they show you it working?

Cougar

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

“You have the right to reject your item and get a refund within four weeks of purchase.”

“the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.”

It’s difficult in this case because there’s a lot of variables. But you’ve tried two different PSUs, another graphics card, a different monitor, all that’s left is some sort of ephemeral motherboard compatibility issue. The fact that it doesn’t work in your machine doesn’t prove conclusively that it’s faulty; conversely, it working in their tests doesn’t prove that it isn’t. A like-for-like swap would probably tell you; if a different unit of the same card works, it’s faulty, if a second card is also symptomatic then it’s a compatibility issue.

For what it’s worth, based purely on what you’ve written here the symptoms as you’ve described them do sound to me like faulty video memory or an overheating GPU.

I’m reasonably sure that it’s illegal for them to charge a restocking fee unless they tell you before you enter into the sale that that’s what they’re going to do; however, the only information I can immediately lay my hands on to back that up relate to Distance Selling Regs which don’t apply here. Might be worth giving CitA a ring.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Hi Chris,

I’d definitely agree with everything Cougar says here, sounds like they may be having you on. If they are any good they would probably be happy for you to take your PC in to look at it with them – if the card is fine then you have other issues which they could help you fix and make more £.

Just checking here and power requirements are pretty similar for the HD 5850 as the R9 270X and both need 2 x 6 pin plugs so if your old card is working I think it is safe to say it is either the new card or something odd with your motherboard. If you have a second PCI-e x16 slot have you tried the card in that?

Radeon HD 5850 vs Radeon R9 270

BEB

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Seems to be a bit of a issue with the 270X. See this thread here for discussion and fixes:

AnandTech Forums

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh ive tried another slot and no joy, ive just rang the store now and told them im bringing my pc in tomorrow so lets just wait and see from there , they said it could be something or nothing maby something uve not done or something simple, yeh right ive tried everything lol so taking it in tomorrow and ill let u all know how i get on ! thx for the replies!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Another question as well, i bought a corsair cx600w psu with the card as they told me my standard psu 850w wasent good enough to run the card? its just a standard no name psu, i think its called power switching or something nothing special, when i put this new one in at 600w they sold me i notice windows takes longer to load on start up, but with the old one things do seem alot quicker, any reasons? im told Wattage wont speed things up but i notice the old one is defo quicker at loading windows and starting programs up etc?

Russell96

Depends how many amps the PSU can pump out on the 12 Volt PCI-E connection(s) so you need to look at the specs. It could be that the PSU whilst it has a large headline wattage has only a single PCI-E connection that for example only pumps out a max of 10 amps.

Is everything connected the same way? Just thinking that if you have a few hard drives and they are all daisy chained on the same power cable then that could cause an issue, try spreading them across different cables.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

the connecters are exactly the same on both psu`s and my card has 2 pci-e connecters to the grx card and ive only 1 hdd 🙂

Russell96

The Corsair can probably output near to its entire 600W via the 12volt cables if needed in the region of 40-45amps I guess.

Older PSUs can be limited on their 12V output. As an example my old 700W could only do 16amps on each of its 12V connections. So 2x12V connections = 32amps on my old 700W PSU vs 40-45amps across the pair of connections on your lower wattage at 600W PSU.

They could have just planted something in your mind by saying it would be slower, you have to time things to be sure.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

anyways went into the shop today with my pc, they tested the card in my pc so i could show them the errors, they saw the errors and couldent really understand it, they then tested a factory card they use on all pcs just to make sure its the card and nothing else their card worked.. so it must of been a conflict with the card somewherre, anyway after 4 hours they gave me a full refund for the card as it wasent my fault as it was compatability issue and i swapped it for the same card but MSI not asus, took this card home got latest drivers pc working fine 🙂 lol

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Radeon r9270x flickering issues’ is closed to new replies.