Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Radcliffe archaeology (warning – HTN content)
  • RustySpanner

Keep finding bits of race debris/important historical material on the original HTN course. Bloody carelessness on the part of the organisers if you ask me………

Latest find is race number 160, belonging to Nikalas. Dunno if he posts on here, or if anyone knows him but if he wants a souvenir of the original HTN I’ll happily send it on.

Very, very surprised at how well the original course has recovered, not half as much erosion as I expected.
    The Bombhole seems less scary than it used to be though – looks like the motocrossers have been playing, making the drop in less steep and intimidating.

Any truth that Danny Boyle’s next film, “Return to “Dogsh**t Valley” is about 3 plucky MTB race organizers,struggling against the odds, desperate for time off to see their families?

terrahawk
    Free Member

That’ll be Nik Cook – him what wrote a HTN article for 220Triathlon mag. You’ll probably be able to contact him through them. He did quite well too I think – top 5 in the solo (I could be wrong though).

Bombhole Woods is starting to look a bit wrecked in places – last time I was there the scouts had scattered logs to try to prevent people riding it. They probably got worried about finding a broken/dead body one morning.

terrahawk
    Free Member

where was it found anyway?

RustySpanner

We found it near the little fishing lake, next to the motorway – one corner sticking up out of the mud, way off to the side of the track. Wouldn’t have seen it at all if the council hadn’t been so enthusiastic with their cutting back.
    Also found two blue arrow signs and a red one over the last few weeks – look quite good blu-tacked to the fridge!
    Scattered logs still there last weekend – can’t really blame them. Looks like motorbike tracks on the official bombhole chicken run and further down toward the tarmac track.
    Nature seems to be coping quite nicely though, had trouble believing that some sections had ever been raced over.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to the return of the bluebells.

that stuff on your fridge – it’ll be worth a fortune in years to come 😉

RustySpanner

Along with the enhanced fragrance from the Sewage Farm the bluebells help to remind me that summer’s not too far away.

Have you considered the Pilkington loop for a future HTN? I love that bit, great in either direction too. Great circuit clockwise past Pilkingtons, the Sewage Farm then dive off right just after the Garden Centre – always get ripped to shreds by that bit in the summer – you can hear everyone laughing, screaming and cursing at the thorns as they struggle through. Magic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Radcliffe archaeology (warning – HTN content)’ is closed to new replies.