Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Radcliffe and Maconie…
  • shermer75
    Free Member

…is more often than not Radcliffe OR Maconie. What’s all that about, then? Have they fallen out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what happened to the boy lard?

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha! YEARS behind!!! He’s got his own show, Radio 6 at 7pm weekdays…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as if i’m on the other side of the world!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Ahh, just looked at your profile. How is Tasmania?

dawson

Maconie does book stuff as well as another 6music show, and I think I saw a tweet earlier that said he was 300 miles north of the arctic circle

edit: just re-read that and sounds a bit stalker-ish

I think they just have their own stuff that they work on as well as the afternoon show

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not bad, just no Mark n Lard, Triple j is worth a listen though

binners

The good thing about one of them being off is that when they’re back together they tend to be twice as daft as usual, which is always amusing

And Stuart Marconie’s books are well worth a read. He’s a bloody good writer!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m a newbie to 6 music but I like it very much.
    EPMD at 1715 on a thursday? YES PLEASE!

zokes
    Free Member

Triple j is worth a listen though

I find JJJ a cross between R1 and R6. Musically more like R6, but still with too many moronic presenters like R1.

shermer75
    Free Member

Where have you been?!? 6 music is blinding (just give Mary Ann Hobbs the swerve)

jamiea
    Free Member

just give Mary Ann Hobbs the swerve

I much prefer waking up to her of a weekend (ooerr!) that that annoying bint Nimone!

Cheers,
    Jaime

binners

I really like Nimone. Whereas Mary Ann Hobbs is so bloody dreary and wishy washy, she just irritates me

I appear to be the anti-you Jamie 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find JJJ a cross between R1 and R6. Musically more like R6, but still with too many moronic presenters like R1.

True but the music makes up for it. Most are much better (Zan Rowe tweeted me a welcome to Oz when I got here) Tom & Alex could be better, the DR is ok and evenings are good (apart from the bogan phone ins)

jamiea
    Free Member

bloody dreary and wishy washy

Yep, I’ll give you that- at least she doesn’t play all that dance and hip-didy-hop shite at 8 on a Sunday morning!

Cheers,
    Jamie

scuttler

Stuart Maconie’s off because he got hit by a banging donk.

I just hope they keep Edith Bowman out of the midweek schedules.

And Triple J’s not bad relative to regional Australian radio which is even worse than its UK counterpart. Except for John Laws who’s not on any more. EDIT – Apparently he’s back. I’d better re-tune my internet radio to 2SM away from the welded-on Paradise Radio.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And Triple J’s not bad relative to regional Australian radio which is even worse than its UK counterpart. Except for John Laws who’s not on any more.

Which is still heaps better than R1….

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t believe Mary Anne Hobbs is so bad these days. She was my “new John Peel” a few years back… now.. awful. I think I even heard her play Mumford & Sons. 🙁

scuttler

heaps

You really, genuinely, absolutely, unequivocally do live in Aus/Tas 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Mary Ann Hobbs needs to die. As does Edith Bowman. They are intruding on my idyllic Radio 6 oasis. Die die DIE!! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes and it’s nearly midnight and I have had several fine beers starting in the LBS quite a bit earlier 🙂

stever
    Free Member

And Stuart Marconie’s books are well worth a read. He’s a bloody good writer!

Radcliffe’s ‘Reelin in the years’ is a good read too

zbonty

I liked Nemone in the mornings. That m.a.Hobbs trailer they play all the time does my noodle in.

zokes
    Free Member

You really, genuinely, absolutely, unequivocally do live in Aus/Tas

He must have picked that up from a South Aussie:

kevin1911

Funny you should say that – I’ve been thinking that over the last few years, 6 Music is getting a bit Radio 1-ish. They seem to have much more stuff on heavy rotation these days, and with the arrival of Edith Bowman…

I’ve recently been listening to Eclectic 24 from KCRW in LA, and very good it is too. No presenters, just high quality eclectic music selections.

cheese@4p

Errrm, errrr I’m not errrm errr sure errm?

makeitorange
    Free Member

Do people actually like Radcliffe? I’ve never liked him on the radio (never read his written work.)Just don’t find him funny at all. Always thought Mark and Lard was the worst bit of the Radio 1 Schedule back when I was in sixth form, I don’t remember anyone liking them at the time.

jamiea
    Free Member

Mark and Lard was the worst bit of the Radio 1 Schedule back when I was in sixth form

Was that the graveyard slot, the afternoon show or the breakfast show? All very different beasts.

Cheers,
    Jamie

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes, he’s one of my faves 🙂

makeitorange
    Free Member

Was that the graveyard slot, the afternoon show or the breakfast show? All very different beasts.

Afternoon, when Moyles was on in the afternoon too (before he became too big for his boots)

binners

I love listening to Radcliffe. As well as an encyclopedic knowledge, he seems to absolutely love all kinds of music, and be genuinely enthusiastic about introducing it to other people. As opposed to most DJ’s who only seem to love the sound of their own voice

lornepace
    Free Member

“I’m Greg James, Radio 1” “This is Greg James Radio 1” “Radio 1 Greg James” “Greg James” “Greg James” “Greg James”

nicko74

They seem to have much more stuff on heavy rotation these days

Very true. “Superfreak” was one last month; every lunchtime it was on. I mean, it’s a good track, but seriously, every day?!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

binners – Member

I love listening to Radcliffe. As well as an encyclopedic knowledge, he seems to absolutely love all kinds of music, and be genuinely enthusiastic about introducing it to other people. As opposed to most DJ’s who only seem to love the sound of their own voice

Posted 14 minutes ago #Report-Post

Hes a good egg, double yolker in fact !

scuttler

makeitorange – Member
    Do people actually like Radcliffe? I’ve never liked him on the radio

No offence like, but that’ll be why.

lodious
    Free Member

aaagghhh Mary Ann Hobbs “….it’s the most ethereal, exquisite, breathtaking, elevating music you will ever hear” when describing the first Northern Uproar EP or another s**te indie band from Brighton who think that modern music started with the Stone Roses and ended with Suede.

Her voice makes me want to vomit, she’s from Garstang FFS.

binners

Absolutely lodious! Waffling on about exploring beautiful and exquisite sonic landscapes. What? Its an Arctic Monkeys single!

I was amazed she’s from Lancashire. It seems she’s been possessed by the spirit of Shoreditch

wrecker
    Free Member

“I’m Greg James, Radio 1” “This is Greg James Radio 1” “Radio 1 Greg James” “Greg James” “Greg James” “Greg James”

How is he a DJ?
    People used to say that Moyles was self absorbed, he had nothing on this fuddhead.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

What I find a bit odd is that I skip between R2 / R6 and RScotland’s “Get it on” (worth a listen) and over the space of a few days I’ll hear some obscure/forgotten track played 3 times in a week when normally you’d only expect to hear it once a year…it’s almost like hey share a music library or something 😕

CountZero

Do people actually like Radcliffe? I’ve never liked him on the radio (never read his written work.)Just don’t find him funny at all. Always thought Mark and Lard was the worst bit of the Radio 1 Schedule back when I was in sixth form, I don’t remember anyone liking them at the time.

How many people did you ask the question of? “I asked one hundred people if they liked Mark and Lard, 75% replied…”
    I absolutely loved Mark and Lard to bits, their Slim ‘n’ Shady squirrel sketch forced me to pull off the road once, I was actually crying with laughter, and couldn’t see where the hell I was going! And Radcliffe and Maconie I find just as amusing, especially when they just go totally random; they did it the other week, and totally lost it, and I did, too, sat at my computer, barely able to breathe laughing at them.
    The thing is, they’re not trying desperately to be the next Michael MacIntyre, like Keaveny often seems to be, they’re just like two mates in the pub, entertaining themselves, forgetting there’s a whole bunch of people listening in from all over the world.
    Plus, as someone else said, they both have a real love of all sorts of music, the Freak Zone, and Freakier Zone, and the Radio 2 Folk programme as their sidelines show that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Radcliffe and Maconie…’ is closed to new replies.