Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rad cage install results in fowling top pulley wheel
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

I’ve put a rad cage on an XT mech and the top pulley wheel fowls the tension arm on the mech, when in the highest gear/smallest cog. I’ve tried the rad cage in both the XT and the SLX/Deore installation holes and they still do it!

Has anyone had this?

Things I’ve already done:

* Messed around with the B-tension
    * Installed different pulley wheels
    * Installed the rad cage in the XT and SLX/Deore holes
    * Tried to see whether the H stopper screw has anything to do with this

legend
    Free Member

Chain too short so the angle is making the top of the cage go too close to the cassette?

drew

As above. I had the same and adding a couple of links solved the problem

ryderredman
    Free Member

Thanks legend and drew!

Shall give it a go and report back.

swanny853

If it’s fouling in the smallest sprocket and on the mech arm them would you not want to take links out to pull the wheel down?

ryderredman
    Free Member

You’d think so!

I’ve not tried it yet but… I think they’re (legend and drew) right as the tightness of the chain brings the pulley closer to the arm BEFORE the mech has been pushed inwards (towards the hub) thus moving the arm further away from the pulley.

maxtorque

It’s really really critical on chain length. You need the work out the right length and B screw position to have the cage arc past the lower link on the derailure paralelogram at juuuust the right angle (not too soon,no too late). This is of course complicated by what happens to the effective chain length as the suspension (assuming you’re not on an HT) moves!

On my M9050 XTR Di2 i had to machine a bit of the parallelogram and re-locate the “crash release” spring to make it all work, but it’s super tight!

sockpuppet

Not even one chicken pun? STW is slipping…

maxtorque

Cluck off!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rad cage install results in fowling top pulley wheel’ is closed to new replies.