Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Racrface Cranks installation/spacers question
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a second hand RF X-type crankset. I’ve not installed it yet, but I’ve just read soemthing about using spacers to achieve the correct chainline. All sounds handy sice its a SS bike, but I don’t think I got any spacers with it. Do I need to get hold of some? And how many in total?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You need the same spacers as Shimano BB’s to space the shels out from the frame (i.e. 3×2.5mm for a 68mm BB, 1×2.5mm for a 73mm BB).

You also need the red elastometer/x-ring or whatever they call it which provides the pre-load on the bearings.

You also need some 1mm spacers that go on the axle to fill the space untill the above mentioned elastomer is pushing on the bearings slightly and all the space on the axle is filled.

The instructions are on the RF site, and CRC sell all the various spacers, they’re about 99p each and you’ll probably need 3 or so, so buy 4 or 5 to be sure and a new elastomer/x-ring to be on the safe side.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

You may need some… erm up to 4, maybe? (I think I’m using 2). Very cheaply had from CRC. Check out a good official spacer-alignment-fitting video on the RF webside or somewhere (you tube?) that is pretty helpful..

Edit: Sorry, I’m talking about those elastomer X ring things ^. Not spacers. Spacers is 3 for a 68mm bb shell, 2 for a 72mm IIRC 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers. BB spacers are sorted (Hope)
    Its the 1mm axle spacers I seem to be needing. Will pop up to LBS at lunch and see if they’ve any in…

wwaswas

you need the elastomer things as well.

I’d download the instructions from the race face site – it’s all a bit more complicated than the Shimano system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Racrface Cranks installation/spacers question’ is closed to new replies.