Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • racks and women up top
  • iDave
    Free Member

serious question here.

strap on racks on the backs of cars are to be phased out by EU legislation and are already banned in some countries.

how many of you women, can lift an mtb onto a roof mounted rack and secure it unaided? is it simple or a real problem?

seems like it would be **** hard for a lot of bikey women I know, due as much to height as girly arms.

i have good cause to ask for feedback on this…..

aracer
    Free Member

Really? Are they also banning tow bar mount racks?

Banning as in not allowed to be sold, or not allowed to be used?

iDave
    Free Member

no, just strap-ons, which seem to suit women better

banning as in banned, illegal, no sell, no buy, no use etc

tomzo
    Free Member

Why are they being phased out??

aracer
    Free Member

just strap-ons, which seem to suit women better

I was going to ask why they suited women better than tow bar mounted ones, but <chortle> instead 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

I think I'd struggle, because of my height mostly. I can lift my bike high enough no problem, but holding it out in front as you'd have to to get it on a roof would be hard I think.

Did a Health and Safety thing at work a while back and I know that the 'safe' weights they gave for women holding something up high and away from the body were a lot less than what my bike weighs.

cinnamon_girl

I used to be able to put both my hardtail and full suss on a Thule roof mounted carrier. However I changed to the 591 which actually sits higher on the roof rack. I now have a wooden step which is very secure so I can put them up there if I want to.

However, these days cos I am so anal about my bikes they are safely put inside the car 🙄

Oh and have had one fall off the roof on a dual carriageway which was terrifying.

By the way I'm 5'5" with very long arms!

teagirl
    Free Member

My husband was taken away by the roof bike racks and got a couple, I'm 5'2in and have a VW Sharan! I ask you! It took 2-3 girls to get a bike up there and we're not fainthearted types but we had to climb onto seats etc… Not a convenient option, so I got a tow bar and a Pendle tow bar mounted and He can't thwart my riding now! 😆 And before anyone asks, yes, I can put the rack on myself!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Where did you get this info from iDave?

Bunnyhop

I've never tried this, however I struggle getting my bike over Stiles (cough).
    So even with my height of 5' 4" and long arms I'm guessing it would be very hard for me without help.

Maybe they should come with a free orange box!

alwyn
    Free Member

Don't they have anything better to do then ban bike racks?

phiiiiil

Is it just strap on racks or ones that attach to the rear of the car using solid attachments? My old Thule clip-on rack held a bike more securely than any roof rack, you could bounce the car by pushing on the bike, but lots of racks with fraying straps tied on all over the place do look far more dodgy…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

same as coffeeking – any source for this news? link?

uplink
    Free Member

I thought these sort of traffic laws were the concern of the separate member states & not EU wide

clareymorris

I can manage fine, takes 2 mins, but I'm 5'7" with monkey arms!

coffeeking
    Free Member

This could just be one of those scares that goes around randomly but I notice that a few other EU member states do indeed ban rear mounted racks, but I cant find a reasoning. Fairly sure that despite being quite a tough little nut, my other half is possibly a tad too small to get anything onto the roof of her car like that.

Northwind

I bet you 10p this story is just your standard "EU is banning…" made up crap…

As for getting bikes onto roofs, I'm a really puny guy, and I can say it's not really strength, it's technique. I really struggled myself the first few times, but once you figure it out it's not really muscle work at all. Unless you have some monstrous DH bike I'm sure!

iDave
    Free Member

its not made up crap – its an eu directive and its on its way, I think in 2011

i've seen this in other industries I've worked in, new type approval comes in, law changes, old stock is worthless

Northwind

I'd be interested in seeing that- if you google for it you get 2 relevant hits, this thread and a post on another forum stating that roof mounted racks are going to be banned by the EU 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

can we have a reputable source for this assertion please.
    Call me a cynic if you like but I was not persuaded by this

its not made up crap – its an eu directive and its on its way, I think in 2011

i've seen this in other industries I've worked in, new type approval comes in, law changes, old stock is worthless

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

banning as in banned, illegal, no sell, no buy, no use etc

Not possible, sorry. You can't retrospectively apply a law like that. If something has already been made, then they can't stop you using it. For instance, emissions laws change and a car a few years old might fail new standards, but they can't make you take it off the road, however much they try.
    Older racks will be maufactured to some staadard or other I imagine, and the same will apply

I guarantee that if they have to stop making them, you'll be fine usng the one you already have.

That said, I wouldn't use one again and I can see why someone might want them banned.

DickBarton

Don't think it would just be females who could suffer…shorter guys or guys with shorter arms will also have problems…

iDave
    Free Member

You can't retrospectively apply a law like that. If something has already been made, then they can't stop you using it.

of course they can

iainc

5ft10guy and I always use a small folding set of steps to put bikes atop a cmax….I've hurt my back too many times to try it amy other way. I am always surprised by the number of people that see me doing it and say what a clever idea -)

MrsToast
    Free Member

We got a tow bar mounted rack – we were thinking about roof racks, but being that I'm only 5ft 2 we realised they'd be completely impractical!

woodsman
    Free Member

Shouldn't be a problem from what I've seen!

atlaz
    Free Member

The only reference I can find on Google is this forum… so…

duntmatter
    Free Member

no sell, no buy, no use etc

Not possible, sorry.[/quote]

Nearly. No sell, no buy is easy to do. No use is trickier.

Really though, who will enforce it?

BigJohn

I think Dave just wanted to see how he could get a reference to womens racks up top and strap-ons in the same sentence.

epicyclo

Interesting if it's true.

There must have been hordes of citizens demonstrating against these racks outside their MEPs offices for this to happen. The EU is a democracy after all, isn't it?

DickBarton

We are still waiting for the link to further info on this…so it is still well and truly salted…give us the link to more info so we can have all the info you have and then still make our own opinions up.

iDave
    Free Member

you want a link to a a conversation I had with someone in the industry?

hmmm. now which button do I press?

CHB

oh well ,must be true. Someone who works in Halfords bikehut told him!

😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you want a link to a a conversation I had with someone in the industry?

So it's just 'gossip' …………. is that what you're say ?

If legislation has been passed by the EU, reference to it, will exist somewhere on the internet. Where did your 'industry insider' get their information from …….. were they present at the EU meeting which took the decision ?

You appear to be surprised iDave, that people like a 'news story' backed by 'facts' 😕

BlingBling
    Free Member

That said, I wouldn't use one again and I can see why someone might want them banned.

Why?

uplink
    Free Member

Maybe it's to save the 'hard of thinking' out there from themselves? 🙂

Bazz

Even if they were banned completley traffic laws in this country are never enforced anyway, you can pretty much get away with driving without a license, tax, mot or insurance, on the wrong side of the road whilst using a mobile phone/laptop and you've got little chance of getting pulled for it, i for one will still be using mine law or not.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The reasons behind it in other countries are that it blocks lights and plates and that strap-ons fall off too easily. I've always had a number/light board on mine but most do not, so I can see that reasoning.

iDave
    Free Member

yes, i posted something out of interest, based on what I was told by a small child sitting on the pavement close to a bike shop. i think if its true, which I've no reason to doubt, it has implications for short arses of either gender – which I'm not. something like this usually has a period well before legistlation whereby govt consult with the industry. maybe that's where whiff of it came from. you can keep your knickers on.

iDave
    Free Member

try driving through cheshire with a rear rack minus bikes – you'll see about enforcement then

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘racks and women up top’ is closed to new replies.