Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rack and panniers – anyone seen any deals
  • orangefatlad
    Free Member

I am looking for a rack and some waterproof panniers for a new daily commute, anyone seen any good deals?

Thx

cynic-al
    Free Member

We have some at ebc

IanW
    Free Member

Congratulations you have a excuse to buy one of the best designed well made products created by man.
    Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, think there about £90 from wiggle.

Basil

Ortlieb City front panniers for the win

ndg
    Free Member

Charlie the bike monger has axiom panniers – just got mine and they seem very good. Roll top seal. Rack mount not as slick as the ortlieb’s but works okay, I need to mod my rack with a bar for the lower hook rather than a tiny hole as it takes two hands to unmount at the moment. It is a 34 year old rack though, so a more modern rack may be okay.

£44 for the 30l pair, £55 for the 40l pair.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Saw theses on fleabay earlier today. Best bike luggage ever. Worth watching.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-ORTLIEB-Classic-Waterproof-Back-Roller-Panniers-for-Bike-Bicycle-/191062844498?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2c7c3ba452

Pretty much any rack will handle a commute. Halfords had some very cheap ones last time I was in there.

jimc101
    Free Member

What’s your budget? I got a set of Vaude panniers & a Tubus rack from ebay Germany several years ago, the panniers are just as good as Ortlieb, and get used most days & Tubus are as good as it gets for the rack. Not cheap though.

The panniers replaced a set of DHB (Wiggle) which are almost identical to the current EBC ones, they were OK (and a lot cheaper than the current price) and lasted about 18 months of daily use. Going to Vaude or Ortlieb is a massive step up in quality.

dyl
    Free Member

I have one of these:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSMI5000R/minoura-5000r-alloy-rear-pannier-rack

Think it was even cheaper when I bought it – may have been £6. It’s basic (not in any significant way adjustable) but well made, tough, light and cheap.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Does it have to be panniers?? I use a Carradice sqr tour. It’s ace. I’ve commuted for 5 years with it. I get my lunch, undies, socks, pump, toolkit, spares and a spare gore text jacket in it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rack and panniers – anyone seen any deals’ is closed to new replies.