Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Racist Chinese detergent advert
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Now consider the racial stereotyping in any Hollywood film set in contemporary America you’ve seen recently. Not much better eh.

Asians in Hollywood.

Grand Torino, great film but if you removed the racially stereoypical casting it would fail.

DezB
    Free Member

over-amplification by the media

Haven’t they heard? There’s this “internet” thing around now! 😆

Edukator – so you’re saying the ad’s ok?

Edukator
    Free Member

No, DezB. Bad ad, lots of bad Hollywood films.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shocking by our standards and unacceptable. However ..

Asians (by and large) are obsessed with white skin as we where in Edwardian times as its a sign you don’t work in agriculture or labouring. The shops are stacked with skin whitening products and its common to see people with sunshades or even burka like full cover. Add to this the Chinese don’t so political correctness, they aren’t quite as racist as the Japanese but not far off. We need to be careful judging them by our standards as things are quite different there

DezB
    Free Member

And Grand Torino is a bloody awful film.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Grand Torino, great film but if you removed the racially stereoypical casting it would fail.

it would be a wierd film about racism and stereotypes if you tried to cast it with a random mix of actors!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Dez – how about Lion King where the baddies speak with an English accent or Alladin where the baddies are heavily Arab yet Alladin a street boy speaks with an American accent !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Add to this the Chinese don’t so political correctness, they aren’t quite as racist as the Japanese but not far off.

For real racism, have a chat to some Hong Kong Chinese who grew up since the handover. Ask them their opinion of mainlanders. Jaw dropping.

Otherwise, I agree, China is an odd place, where the concept of racism just isn’t seen the same way as it is in the West. Back to Shanghai again fairly soon, will report back….

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah! How about that!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

8 posts in and plenty of howaboutery already. Go STW. 😆

EDIT: 9!

EDIT EDIT: 10!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Add to this the Chinese don’t so political correctness, they aren’t quite as racist as the Japanese but not far off.

Are we saying that all Chinese struggle with political correctness and all Japanese are racists?
    😥

DezB
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    8 posts in and plenty of howaboutery already

I thought I covered that in my first post 8)

Drac

It would be a film about an old man who gets on with his neigbours and has a very nice car.

mrsfry
    Free Member

America and Europe seem to do extremely well outdoing the planet with racism. Then again tarring a entire country/people with being hands down total racist as standard is pretty racist.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Then again tarring a entire country/people ……

What do you mean tarring? Sounds a bit racist to me 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tarring a entire country/people with being hands down total racist as standard is pretty racist.

And yet, this is fine, apparently;

America and Europe seem to do extremely well outdoing the planet with racism.

😐

jimjam
    Free Member

mrsfry

Then again tarring a entire country/people with being hands down total racist as standard is pretty racist.

America and Europe seem to do extremely well outdoing the planet with racism.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are we saying that all Chinese struggle with political correctness and all Japanese are racists?

I think it is pretty obvious that when someone makes a statement like that they are meaning the majority, or a bell curve distribution, and not all.

DezB
    Free Member

Wonder where you can buy those washing tabs online..?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Racism is a cultural thing. Some cultures are more racist, other cultures are less racist.

The UK was significantly more racist in the 1960s than it is now.

joepose
    Free Member

Terrible advert. No excuse but have never witnessed racism like the African’s dish out to the Chinese, truly embarrassing.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Well considering i’m in Europe, your point is?

Why Throw China and Japan under the bus when like i said ‘Europe and America do raicism ‘

(Stones and Greenhouses)

And that it would be racist to tar everyone with the same brush 🙄

(Stones and Greenhouses)

PS

How many experience everyday racism? or promote it?

(Stones and Greenhouses)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This advert appears to be several years older

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuamNkZ5YQ[/video]

joepose
    Free Member

fly out of china to an African hub like Doha or Dubai, you will witness racism, not by all but by a lot

stewartc
    Free Member

Correct, but what do i know I only have a Chinese wife and associated family to back up my experience, they are mostly incredibly racist in an unknowing way.

The joke doing the rounds here is the lady in the ad will get a shock when she finds out that something has shrunk in the wash!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

@ernie – good spot .. looks like the same advert but with a different cast of actors. Where were the social commentators?

globalti
    Free Member

Racism, tribalism, caste snobbery and religious hatred are all alive and kicking in Asia and Africa. It’s only in Europe and the USA where we have this sensitivity.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Racism is a cultural thing. Some cultures are more racist, other cultures are less racist.

The UK was significantly more racist in the 1960s than it is now.
    This is spot on from @ernie

Racism is socially and legally unacceptable in the UK, other countries things are quite different. The anti Japaneese feeling in China is very strong due to historical conflict, I don’t travel there as much niw as I did from 1995-2005 but my local colleagues pointed out – how many Japaneese cars do you see, answer hardly any – they wouldn’t buy them. The Japaneese have a very superior attitude nationaliy, its just how it is.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aw, dah tellibuh, laciss wah-ahs

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

FWIW the huge contingent of Chinese staff that have arrived on site over the last 3 years have spent quite a lot of time in courses and training, learning what is, and what is not acceptable in Europe.
    Despite this, i understand about 10% have been disciplined for casual racism, and a small number have been sent home and sacked for more severe acts.

The rate for the local staff (of all colours) is too small to even register, last person to get in trouble of any sort was 4 or 5 years ago.

And thats against a background of a mildly racist culture. Probably worse than the UK.

MSP

Racism is socially and legally unacceptable in the UK, other countries things are quite different

The defence of Clarksons racism suggests it isn’t that unacceptable.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So the Chinese girl prefers a Chinese boy, how racist of her

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Shouldn’t forget the sexism against women and men and the gratuitous violence too…

Mega fail

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Those of you saying, ‘but it’s a cultural thing’ – are you excusing it, or just playing devil’s advocate?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am neither excusing it nor playing devil’s advocate, just stating a fact.

Like the fact that the UK was significantly more racist in the 1960s than it is today.

EDIT : Btw if you want an excellent example of a ‘racist culture’ look up historical records of Germany in the 1930s, they even ended up systematically executing people for being of the wrong race.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per @ernie, I said it was unacceptable and the ad should not be shown on UK TV. Aside from that what do you think we can do, by all means boycott Chinese products, go and stand outside the embassy, sign a petition. China executes more people each year than the rest of the world put together, that seems rather more serious to me than a tasteless racsist advert.

globalti
    Free Member

There’s another aspect to it; we don’t know what Chinese poeple say about Africans but working as I do in the fragrance industry I can tell you that Asian people have fewer, smaller sweat glands than Caucasians (us and Indians) who in turn have fewer and smaller sweat glands than Africans. The technical consequence of this is that the perfumes we manufacture for the Far East are much milder and more subtle than those we sell in Africa, where a perfume has to be almost offensively strong to sell. Chinese people say, apparently, that Caucasians smell like corpses so I have no idea what they say about Africans. This may be a hidden meaning to that racist detergent ad in addition to the colour meaning.

jimjam
    Free Member

I thought we smelled like sour milk?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Racist Chinese detergent advert’ is closed to new replies.