Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)
  • Racism row in Australia
  • zokes
    Free Member

Your more civilized neighbors (the Kiwis) did a far better job of being nice to the locals than you guys did.

While colonialism in Australia was a bloodbath, mainly due to the many indigenous tribes already being in periodic conflict before the Brits turned up, making the tactics of divide and conquer brutally effective, the indigenous New Zealanders decided unity was the best tactic and negotiated a lot more. Plenty of hurt that side of the ditch too though, and it does rear its head occasionally.

grum
    Free Member

For an added irony bonus of course there’s also the fact that most of the ills in Australia stem from British rule before final (near) complete independence.

Yes in historical terms it’s basically entirely Britain’s fault, but we’re not the ones over there being racist right now and profiting from a system that continues to brutalise and oppress the native population. Well, actually I suppose there are quite a lot of British expats out there, and some of them seem to have some pretty backward/blinkered attitudes…..

neilco
    Free Member

Ahhhh you’re one of my favorite subtypes, the colorblind racist.

Honestly no idea what that means. Does that mean you win?

ransos
    Free Member

Yes in historical terms it’s basically entirely Britain’s fault, but we’re not the ones over there being racist right now and profiting from a system that continues to brutalise and oppress the native population.

Apparently it’s all their own fault for not being good at negotiating with their oppressors.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

While colonialism in Australia was a bloodbath, mainly due to the many indigenous tribes already being in periodic conflict before the Brits turned up, making the tactics of divide and conquer brutally effective, the indigenous New Zealanders decided unity was the best tactic and negotiated a lot more. Plenty of hurt that side of the ditch too though, and it does rear its head occasionally.

Oh so actually, what you’re saying is, is that it’s the indigenous tribes fault for being a bit more spear chucky than their New Zealand compatriots.

Sounds like white revisionism to me Zokes, I see your doctorate really paid for itself.

zokes
    Free Member

This guy in OZ seems pretty sure that you are.

And in Britain too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/white-people-may-deny-it-but-racismis-back-in-britain-10384129.html

Why can’t you accept this without resorting to whataboutery?

neilco
    Free Member

Yes in historical terms it’s basically entirely Britain’s fault, but we’re not the ones over there being racist right now and profiting from a system that continues to brutalise and oppress the native population. Well, actually I suppose there are quite a lot of British expats out there, and some of them seem to have some pretty backward attitudes…..

Brutalise? Really? I’m almost feeling guilty. Still not sure what for though. Help me out. What exactly have I done?

zokes
    Free Member

What exactly have I done?

Disagree with the petulant boy who thought his lecturer was wrong at uni, and went in to sook on here about failing the associated assessment.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hey, at least I didn’t go to Bangor.

Also, the lecturer turned out to be wrong. 🙂

Why can’t you accept this without resorting to whataboutery?

Have I ever mentioned that I didn’t accept there was an issue with racism in the uk? God knows how you survived your viva zokes.

zokes
    Free Member

Hey, at least I didn’t go to Bangor.

It’s what you do with it that counts

God knows how you survived your viva zokes.

My examiners asked significantly more intelligent questions than you do.

And again, regarding Britsh racism, you managed to erroneously change the tense to past. It’s not, it’s present.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’ve done/am doing plenty with mine cheers. 😀

EDIT: Ooooh a grammar pedant to boot.

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘Racism row in Australia’ is closed to new replies.