Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Racism in Golf
  • Drac

Pretty sure my full quote made it obvious what I thought but thanks for the miss quote and non answer

Thanks for twisting what I said.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😯

🙄

Not arguing with a mod but really

busydog
    Free Member

This

A food associated with black people in America I believe Cougar. Can have racial undertones (or is it “overtones”?) when used in certain parlance.

I think the parties involved are making way too much ado about it. Everything has to be so flippin’ PC these days—good lord we don’t want to offend anyone. 😆

I worked in Human Resources for years and way back when I started the PC term was black, then it changed to African Americans. Same with Spanish/Mexican people–first it was Mexican, then Latino/Latina and now it seems to be Hispanic or Latin American–no matter which you use, someone will be offended in some way. As someone posted above, the NAACP uses the word “colored” in their title, but heaven help you if you refer to someone as colored here.

FWIW, I’m not African American and I love fried chicken.

lodious
    Free Member

I’m pleased…for once I find myself on the PC side of the STW moral compass. Reference to ‘fried chicken’ is about as straight up racial slur as I could think of….nothing less.

He knew what he was saying, it was meant to be racially derogatory.

I_Ache
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Would there be the same uproar if he had said he was going to serve an English bloke a roast dinner? Its exactly the same thing!

No, it’s probably not

It is but anyway how about saying that the Scottish deep fry everything. Its a stereotype that has a basis in truth but it is no more racist for a black person to say it than it is for me to say it. I am white and half Scottish fwiw.

As an aside is it racist to say that an Indian chap likes curry?

Its a joke about food can’t people get over it? Why does everything have to have racist/sexist/xenophobic undertones that involve people getting their knickers in a twist in some sort of sympathy offence.

manciman
    Free Member

Fried chicken is a food historically associated with poverty, The Deep South and slavery and is now used as an abusive negative stereotype by some people about black people and that’s why it’s racist. Basically it comes down to the context it was used in. As for the use of the terms coloured or black it depends who you’re talking to. I know my Black friends don’t really favour the term coloured but aren’t be overly offended by its use. The vast majority of Black people are proud to be Black and therefore prefer to be labelled black if labelling is necessary. My friends understand the minefield of being PC well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not African American and I love fried chicken

Typical liberal.

Drac

Exactly how I see it I_Ache it’s about sterotyping food and not calling people by derogatory terms like JY suggested.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It is

A few excellent explanations of why it’s probably not already.

aa
    Free Member

manciman +1.

Its all about context.

As an aside, i was out with a black friend on friday who loves fried chicken. (bistro live, we were out of our depth….) whereas another black friend far prefers mediterranean food, but wears gayass cowboy fashion…..
    No offence intended.

grum
    Free Member

I can see why it’s not nice to make reference to someone’s race when you clearly don’t like them and are probably trying to insult them, but as above I struggle to see where the slur is in suggesting black people like fried chicken.

Seems like a massive storm in a teacup to me. If the reference was to a negative stereotype about black people it would be totally different – or is liking fried chicken seen as negative? I suppose it could be.

Not a big fan of fried chicken BTW, and totes white. Maybe that makes me racist. 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Typical liberal.

Of course you don’t know me, but that label couldn’t be farther off the mark.

I never thought of fried chicken in the PC “label” terms—I grew up on a ranch and had it all the time.

Drac

Coincidentally this week or because of the events in London? Serious question, how would they know? Would someone have to report it do you think? Or are they “watching”?

I never thought of fried chicken in the PC “label” terms—I grew up on a ranch and had it all the time.

I’d thought you’d eat T-bones the size of small child all the time on a ranch.

busydog
    Free Member

the T-bones were every third day between the chicken and the pork chops 😆

Drac

Knew it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

LOL at Drac’s copy and paste powerz! 😀

Drac

Hahaha I use keyboard shortcuts so if I hit the wrong key it doesn’t copy.

busydog
    Free Member

I use keyboard shortcuts

I have tried for years to get proficient with keyboard shortcuts without much success—something about teaching old dogs new tricks I guess

Drac

The more you use them the easier it is but as you can see also easy to mess them up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why does everything have to have racist/sexist/xenophobic undertones that involve people getting their knickers in a twist in some sort of sympathy offence.

I think the object of the comment is offended but lets not let the facts get in the way of this. The other reason are empathy, understanding and compassion.

Exactly how I see it I_Ache it’s about stereotyping food and not calling people by derogatory terms

You can say you think it is not racist if you wish but you have to ignore what the words mean and try and tell a black man in america what is a racial slur.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have tried for years to get proficient with keyboard shortcuts without much success

Greasy fingers.

nealglover
    Free Member

For instance look at Usain Bolt all he ate in China was fried chicken, he won a gold medal on fried chicken.

Well.

He ate McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets. So not really the same thing at all. 🙂

And he is Jamaican. Not African American.

😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is golf any more racist that the society around it – no

Woods and Garcia have long standing fued. This is fuelled in recent event when playing together in last round. Garcia upset by Woods’ behaviour. In later interview, Garcia makes attempt to calm things saying sensibly that he might invite Woods round for supper then inadvisedly that he would serve fried chicken. Note he is Spanish and they have different slant on things! When error in choice of meal was pointed out, he apologises for any offence caused. Racist intent – hardly!

Then tour official is caught off guard in interview and inadvisedly again uses the term coloured. Perhaps he spends too much time in S Africa or with S Africans, who knows? Quickly apologies for any offence caused. Racist intent – again hardly!

So two poor choices of words (one in the midst of row) followed by quick apologies. Use the term coloured in SA and no one blinks, but we see fit to make major issues out of it in US and europe. Blowing these things out of proportion does little to address real and intended racism which is the real scourge that needs outing. Not slips like these IMO.

I agree with Grum, two storms in teacups.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In later interview, Garcia makes attempt to calm things saying sensibly that he might invite Woods round for supper then inadvisedly that he would serve fried chicken. Note he is Spanish and they have different slant on things!

He may be Spanish but he has spent mot of his playing career on the US circuit? It’s not like he’s only just stepped off the plane and eaten nothing but paella all his life. So he would be more familiar with the the undertones contained in the phrase “fried chicken” (when used in certain parlance) would he not?

error in choice of meal was pointed out

That’s a fairly euphemistic way of describing something that Tigger said was “wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate”. (I also note that Tigger doesn’t mention the “r” word – because he probably knows the shitstorm it will kick up if he does, but I’m only guessing there.)

Use the term coloured in SA and no one blinks

Whenever we do the coloured/black thing here, I see this one rolled out. I have no idea why.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Coloured” was an official racial classification under Apartheid, it doesn’t mean black. Therefore the terms coloured and black are not interchangeable in S.A. as they are in other English speaking parts of the world. I’m surprised you didn’t know that teamhurtmore. Although you quite possibly did.

ivornardon2
    Free Member

But look on the bright side… Didn’t cost the British taxpayer anything.

Had this storm in a can of Red Stripe (the blacks’ favourite drink) happened in Britain the police would have been involved to investigate a racial incident.

Remember the Big Brother/Jade Goody/Shilpa poppadum bo!!ocks? Another waste of police time.

ElVino

Garcia knew exactly what he was saying, I know bugger all about golf but I know the fried chicken slur had been used about Tiger previously by Fuzzy something or other. he said something about serving Fried Chicken at the post Masters banquet. There was a massive furore at the time.

piemonster

Ok, this has gone on long enough.

What we need is a database, which obviously the Internet provides http://www.rsdb.org/full

However, this database doesn’t doesn’t determine the severity of the ‘slur’ perhaps we should initiate a voting system in order to determine the level of offence.

eg. Two right next to each other with different levels if offensiveness.

Limey and Lincoln’s mistake

piemonster

I see a certain Star Wars character has made the list.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Exactly how I see it I_Ache it’s about sterotyping food and not calling people by derogatory terms like JY suggested.

Perhaps, but you have already demonstrated previously that you may not be the best person to evalute what is and is not racist when it comes to references to food.

piemonster

Lobsterback, actually that’s quite good. Still pertinent the second temperatures get over 25 Celsius. Albeit for different reasons.

Seem to be remember being told by he locals in Luz St Saveur that the Brits are sometimes called lobsters because of our tendency to burn ourselves when on holiday.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am aware of that Ernie, thanks! I am in SA regularly and find it far more sensible that, particularly in a country with its history, obvious and common sense adjectives like black, white and coloured can still be used without fear or prejudice. Better than the convoluted nonsense that we find in US and UK. FWIW, I used to find it hard to use the term black for fear of being rude/racist, but this is not an issue with any of my colleagues/friends. Perhaps we could all benefit from their perspective and common sense?

Woods and Garcia hate each other. They had another recent bust up when Garcia claims the Woods (Tiger not Tigger BTW – unless that was a Garciaesque mistake!) deliberately got the crowd going just as he was about to hit the shot. Yes, credit to Woods for not using the “r” word (if that is the case). Garcia made an error, he makes loads as he is a bit of a prat at the best of times. Who knows if it was deliberate? Does it really matter in the grander scheme of things. There is far more serious racism to tackle more importantly.

ironically when Tiger was first dominating the scene he was often described as black – first black to win this and that. Encouraging black golfers to take up the game etc. When as we know he is of mixed race. Was it racist to call him a black golfer? Does it matter, when like here there was little intent – at least in the second case?

Talking of teacups, time for a cuppa myself now!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Drugs in Golf ??

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes it’s pro sport with lots of money.

Drac

Perhaps, but you have already demonstrated previously that you may not be the best person to evalute what is and is not racist when it comes to references to food.

Yeah whatever we’ve discussed that already and I still standby my opinions I’m not sure why you feel to mention that whenever you can. Really all it is your opinion and a one that you love to mention when ever you can.

Junkyard
    Free Member

common sense adjectives like black, white and coloured can still be used without fear or prejudice.

Problem is that some words are associated with prejudice.
    **** may simply be a very short hand and useful way of saying pakistanian but the the reason it cannot be used without “fear ” is that it means something bad in this country like “fried chicken” does in the USA.

If you wish to reclaim coloured or ****, like say gay has been reclaimed, then fair enough. However at this moment in time coloured should be avoided as should **** and the n word..is this not common sense as well as courtesy?
    they are not just common sense adjectives they are also hurtful slurs

Obviously not everyone who uses them is a racist some are just ignorant and if corrected apologise and dont use it again for you dont wish to offend or be seen to be racist
    I knew nothing of the fried chicken thing till this thread and now will be careful in the future – not exactly hard to do tbh.
    I wont carry on arguing it is just a food dish and it does not mean what it means to black people in the USA

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Common sense and courtesy – 100% agree, which is why Garcia was, as often, an idiot. It may have been intended or it may have been a failure to engage his brain before opening his mouth. That would not have been the first time.

Context does make a difference – Pak/**** is used in the Indian sub-continent (newspaper headlines) in a different way to how it is used elsewhere. Ditto race adjectives in SA v US. Hence, the need for common sense and courtesy as you say and an understanding of context (and intent). IMO, racism and other ism’s are conquered when words can be reclaimed and used at face value. My point about SA is that I think that this has been achieved better than in US and UK, even thought this may make US/UK visitors uncomfortable and uncertain.

But this whole case is more a combination of a long running spat between two guys who dislike each other and a need to fill column inches in the eve of Europe’s second biggest golf tournament. It does not make the sport racist IMO, so for that reason, “I am out.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont know enough tbaout golf to comment tbh

Was Tiger not still banned form some golf clubs – ie it was no women and no blacks still in some parts of the US?

I assume this means some are racist rather than the sport is

Funny though as, despite the clothes they wear, it is a rather conservative [establishment /old school not political] sport IMHO

As for second guy yes he probably did not mean any offence but if you want to apologise for racism you would send someone better informed

Racism is still in society so it will still be in sport

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Well if I am coming round for dinner you had better not serve Haggis!

I used to work with a load of Frenchies (sorry Cheese eating surrender monkeys :D) who reffered to Scots as Haggis (Ageese) and English as Roast Beefs (Rosbifs).

It is my understanding that a certain Mr Woods is perhaps lacking in the Humour dept.

jumble
    Free Member

Fried chicken relates back to the time of slavery. I cannot see how anyone who has spent any time in the US could say the sentence Garcia said without intending to insult in a racial way. That sentence is about as bad as you can get it seems to me.

I wonder if the European director guy is South African. Does not excuse his use of words, but might explain that the coloured term is engrained in his brain.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Racism in Golf’ is closed to new replies.