Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Racism in Golf
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Firstly we have Sergio’s Fried Chicken Faux-pas.

Sergio apologises for “Fried Chicken” comment (BBC Linky)

Then the European tour chief executive, George O’Grady uses the term, “coloured athletes” to describe “many of Garcia’s friends” when being interviewed about the “fried chicken” comment.

BBC linky again (warning: contains language likely to offend handwringers)

Frankly, I’m shocked. Golf!! My hands are pretty much wrung dry after the last few days. 😐

Kryton57

Only Rupert the Bear lookalikes need apply…..

MSP

Both comments were made by Europeans, but have much stronger racial overtones in America (I don’t fully understand the fried chicken one). Stupid and insensitive defiantly, but more is being made of it than necessary.

PMK2060

The least Sergio could do is serve rice and peas with the fried chicken 😀

totalshell

been of a certain, but not great age i remember it being wrong to call people black, correct to call them coloured and now in recent years specifically detailling skin tone /colour has become the accepted behavoiur.

so when some one of my age uses the currently inappropriate description i have some sympathy, its not as if we receive monthly updates from the powers that be..

MSP

its not as if we receive monthly updates from the powers that be.

The powers that be???? Do you think a little common decency and understanding of racism is being force upon you by some megalomaniac in a government department?

Cougar

I’m glad you posted this, cos I was going to.

a) What the hell’s up with the “fried chicken” comment, is that a cultural thing I’ve missed?

b) We’ve discussed this before, but is the “coloured” comment perhaps not just innocent use of a non-PC term? I’ve used it before in a naive attempt to avoid racially-loaded words (exactly as totalshell describes), and was shocked to hear it was frowned upon; also, the chap in question was supposed to be apologising for the previous comment so it seems mental that he’d be intentionally racist.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure it’s a guvmint department MSP. I’m sure it’s some kind of Brigade type outfit isn’t it?

Cougar

Do you think a little common decency and understanding of racism is being force upon you by some megalomaniac in a government department?

No, but I think what words are / aren’t considered ‘-ist’ change quickly. Context is everything; never mind the word, what was the intent? Just because the listener takes offence doesn’t inherently make it an offensive word.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a) What the hell’s up with the “fried chicken” comment, is that a cultural thing I’ve missed?

A food associated with black people in America I believe Cougar. Can have racial undertones (or is it “overtones”?) when used in certain parlance.

Cougar

Ah, ok. I guessed that it was some sort of crack at menial work; a similar slur here , albeit not inherently racist, might be “would you like fries with that?” Makes sense.

Tangenting, where does that leave Gus in Breaking Bad?

Drac

I wonder if there would have been the same fuss if Woods had suggested they have Paella.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Haven’t got round to Breaking Bad yet. Getting there. And I’ve reported your post for thread derailment. You can expect an email from a mod putting you on a thread replacement service. You can expect a 40 minute delay. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wonder if there would have been the same fuss if Woods had suggested they have Paella.

Probably not, no.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Coloured definitely was the pc term.

Being not racist and not paying attention to what is racist could make you seem racist to racism obsessed not racists.

brakes
    Free Member

there’s a really fine and rather stupid line here that has been crossed.
    the food he commented on is stereotypically eaten by a particular race and therefore to assume someone of that race should like to eat it could be deemed racist.
    if you suggested someone of a particular nationality would like to eat a particular food then that would not be racist, or even seen as that bad would it?
    if you were an alien and learning about the planet, would this make any sense?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

if you were an alien and learning about the planet, would this make any sense?

Probably not, no.

grum
    Free Member

In my experience (very limited in real life tbh) black people do quite like fried chicken. The three black people that I know reasonably well bloody love it. Make of that what you will.

It’s maybe slightly stereotyping but I struggle to see how its offensive. I can see with the history of racism it’s a bit different to suggesting British people like cups of tea or fish and chips, but only slightly.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It is a steriotype that black folk like fried chicken. All stereotypes have a basis in truth and in my experience this one is true. For instance look at Usain Bolt all he ate in China was fried chicken, he won a gold medal on fried chicken.

Would there be the same uproar if he had said he was going to serve an English bloke a roast dinner? Its exactly the same thing!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ha ha high five grum.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would there be the same uproar if he had said he was going to serve an English bloke a roast dinner?

Probably not, no.

Cougar

Haven’t got round to Breaking Bad yet.

You really should, it’s ace.

Drac

Will Deadlydarcy answer with anything other than “Probably not, no”?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well paella has no racist overtones that I am aware of*. As for paella v fried chicken think say chippy versus say chinki , they are not the same.
    Likewise with Chinki the term could be used with or without malice.
    Me I know **** all about golf to decide if he was or was not racist

As for the guy apologising for the one who said it I would send someone who actually could and knew WTF they were talking about

* Chicken dishes were popular among slaves before the Civil War, as chickens were generally the only animals slaves could raise on their own. It is generally used in a derigatory way from what little I have gleamed

piemonster

Coloured, what the hell is that supposed to mean anyway. That I’m translucent?

I haven’t been in Scotland that long.

johndoh
    Free Member

Probably not, no.

Drac

Coloured, what the hell is that supposed to mean anyway. That I’m translucent?

No or we’d be saying opaque.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will Deadlydarcy answer with anything other than “Probably not, no”?

Resisting the obvious answer…

It was a fairly accurate answer to the three questions. In fact more accurate would be to say, “Not at all” for the reasons JY stated. Paellas and roast dinners don’t have racial undertones. “Fried chicken” does. Which is unfortunate for folk who want to use the term in a derogatory fashion.

Drac

You see I just see it as the same, sterotyping in the “it’s what they all eat.” Don’t really see it as racist.

Albanach
    Free Member

The fried chicken thing (specific to Tiger) relates to comments made by a guy (comically) called Fuzzy Zeoller who, upon Tiger wining first Masters, commented that he’d better not serve fried chicken and greens at the champions dinner the next year…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, Irish = spudmuncher in Dracworld?

Drac

Not heard of that one before.

Northwind

Who doesn’t like fried chicken? Am I black and just didn’t realise?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well as **** is just short for Pakistanian and Scot is just short for Scottish I can use them both as that is what they mean?

You can say they are just the same if you like but you need to ignore what they mean to do this with the example above and fried chicken/paella tbh.

“So you know what you guys do when he gets in here?” Zoeller said to reporters, referring to the following year’s Champions Dinner. “Pat him on the back, say congratulations, enjoy it. And tell him not to serve fried chicken next year — or collared greens or whatever the hell they serve.”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9ufpU3X-t4w[/video]

convert

The irony is that the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) once accused Woods of being racist for his choice of only white partners. If a leading rights organisation has not got around to loosing the “coloured” from their title it can’t be that bad can it? Can’t say I would ever think of using it though.

Drac

Well as **** is just short for Pakistanian and Scot is just short for Scottish I can use them both.

If you say so then yeah you go ahead.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Would there be the same uproar if he had said he was going to serve an English bloke a roast dinner? Its exactly the same thing!

No, it’s probably not

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

Stop stealing my answer CM!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you say so then yeah you go ahead.

No, it’s probably not

Pretty sure my full quote made it obvious what I thought but thanks for the miss quote and non answer

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Pretty sure my full quote made it obvious what I thought

No, it probably didn’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Racism in Golf’ is closed to new replies.