Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Racing Weight – Worth A Buy?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

My weight has fallen in line with the increase in my training mileage. I’m doing some running as well and I’m eating a bit more to compensate. My weight is stable, but people are expressing concerns about it and it’s getting to me a little bit.

Is this book worth buying to help me identify what weight I should be at? I’ve had a look on the internet to try and calculate what weight I should be, but there seems to be no scientific basis to what I’ve found.

Any advice appreciated!

munkster
    Free Member

After losing 2 stone (by riding my bike a lot, and eating less, with the help of “myfitnesspal”) last year I’m now eating normally (ie.like a pig at times) again (and riding my bike a lot) and my weight is stable, about 2Kg above the lowest point I’d got to. That all seems to be a win-win(-win) for me 🙂

wwaswas

My weight is stable, but people are expressing concerns about it

worried it’s too high or too low?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve read it. It has some good info in it and is well written. I didn’t follow all the steps on the diet side but the general info on what is good food and when to eat it was all useful.

Do you want to lose weight – is that it?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@wwaswas Too low.

I want to know how much more I can safely lose, or if I’d be better off gaining some weight and trying to put on some more muscle. I’m currently at 61kg, but I’m pretty short at 170cm.

I guess the best thing to do would be to do an FTP test at different weights, but the Wattbike I used to rely on for these things is miscalibrated and the gym have no plans to fix it. Been a few months since I’ve gotten on it too, but I think I’m stronger now because my average ride speeds for my usual routes are going up.

plus-one

I wouldn’t give a second thought to your weight if your eating well and cycling lots … I’m 181cm and weigh 65kg eat like a horse all the time and cycle when not eating 🙂

Your body will settle at its own stable weight..

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Same as Reggie, worth reading for although I didn’t follow it religiously. I find just having a bit more knowledge on the subject influenced my habits enough to make a difference.

zilog6128

I want to know how much more I can safely lose, or if I’d be better off gaining some weight and trying to put on some more muscle.

I can’t quite remember from the book, but I don’t think it gives this sort of specific info. It’s quite vague most of the time, which IMO is a good thing as the book’s author has never met you so can’t possibly give you any specifics about your individual situation, what you should do, etc. I would be wary of any book/training guide that said it could.

I think if your weight is stable AND you’re not having problems with lack of energy/stamina/etc then you are fine and don’t need to put on weight for the sake of it. The author of Racing Weight is quite keen on athletes weight training but IIRC this is specifically to increase their power-to-weight ratio rather than just gaining weight for the sake of it!

IMO the book is aimed at professional or serious recreational athletes and if that’s not you I wouldn’t try to follow it to the letter anyway. Good read though and some interesting bits in there.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you want lots of theory and a better understanding of body type and how it can be optimised for various sports then it’s probably worth a read. If you want something more prescriptive then probably look elsewhere.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is this book worth buying to help me identify what weight I should be at?

Surprisingly I’d say that’s one of the thing the book doesn’t actually say. Gives you a few possible ways such as take your current weight and body fat percentage, then work out from that what your weight would be with the body fat percentage for your sport, but that’s about it.

All things considered I didn’t think the book was very good. Might be useful if the concept that different foods have different calories and not all calories are the same is a novel concept to you. But if you’ve read anything online in the last few years I don’t think it will add much to the sum of your knowledge.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Not having read this book or any particular knowledge about weight/nutrition…. but having/being in the same situation as you. I’ve found that as mentioned your body will just balance itself out. I just ensure I’m eating healthily 5 day etc, and where I can indulge just keep an eye on your weight if it drops too much then obviously do something about it.

Does kind of boil my pee though when people say your looking skinny… I mean why is that acceptable to say yet your looking fat is not?!

rOcKeTdOg

I lost 2 stone & people commented I looked “gaunt” I stll want to lose another stone though, currently 13st 4 & 6ft2″

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

When I manage that Micheal Stipe look and friends and family start to comment, then I know I’m at racing weight.

As other have said, if your weight is stable and you’re able to train and function normally then there is nothing to worry about.

6,2″, 11,4 stone, and as low body fat as I can manage without getting ill, (middle of the racing season), I’ll go up to 11,6 when not racing, so not much difference, hence the stable comment.

composite
    Free Member

I have been dropping weight to prep for getting into racing next year. I have been going to The High Performance Sports center at Brum Uni every 8 weeks to have a body composition consultation. The Sports scientist who looks after me measures my skin folds and works out lean muscle mass etc. At no point do they ever talk about weight in isolation. It’s all about your ratios of skin folds and lean muscle mass etc.

People looking at you and passing comment doesn’t mean ****. They almost certainly have no idea what they are talking about. Sure a number of mates commented on my face looking thin after I lost 20lbs in 3 months but it’s when the consultant I see says that’s enough is when that will be enough. If you are really that worried go to a professional and have them take some measurements and talk to them about your goals.

I use MFP to calorie count and record exercise to make sure I’m getting the right amount of food each day. It’s a pain to start but once you are in a routine it’s quite easy really. You will take some time to work out what amount of calories you need to maintain weight but once you know you can start fairly easily manipulating your weight through food intake in relation to your training.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ive read it and its a good read. I’m not following it religiously but it definitely made me realise how complacent I’d got with my sugar intake. Have been following the DQS system for the past month rather than any specific diet and it seems good. Not a massive loss yet but my arms are more defined and the belly seems a bit less squidgy. I still find it hard to get enough protein though, how do people do it?! I’m currently getting 80-90g a day with a shake to bump it up to that, really struggle to eat that much meat in a day! Gonna try lentils as a side to see whether that helps..

composite
    Free Member

I was advised to eat 150g of protein a day while eating a deficit and I normally get 130-160g. I have a shake with breakfast because I find it hard to get a good protein source eating breakfast at work. I cook fish and chicken which I take into work for lunches, have protein snacks like low fat cottage cheese or quark soft cheese on Ryvita and then chicken/fish/beef for dinner. Also make 6 egg scrambled eggs but only use 2 or 3 yolks.

Some more ideas:

richpips
    Free Member

I’m currently at 61kg, but I’m pretty short at 170cm.

I weigh the same, but am 180cm.

In my experience, those who don’t do sport make negative comments on my streamlined appearance.

Those that run or cycle that I know say I look fit (sic).

The reality skinny or fit, is I’m probably the fastest on my bike I’ve been for years.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I want to know how much more I can safely lose, or if I’d be better off gaining some weight and trying to put on some more muscle.

it won’t tell you that.

It has example weights of professionals. in short it (kind of) says being leaner will help, until it impacts on performance.

I still find it hard to get enough protein though, how do people do it?

quinoa is relatively high in protein.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Bloody hell, what level are you guys racing at?! You’re taking painfully seriously. Probably quite lucky in the weight stakes as I’m not a big fan of eating….

wwaswas

This was (an admittedly drugged) a cyclist at the top of his game;

I think most people would look and think ‘eat a mars bar or two mate’ but if you want to compete then maybe you need to make sacrifices in terms of aesthetics?

zilog6128

quinoa is relatively high in protein.

Er, no. The protein content of quinoa is highly overrated when you consider how many carbs you have to eat to get the protein. I refer you to composite’s chart above.

Fish/chicken or protein supplements (shakes) is the best way to get more protein, if you need it.

IanW
    Free Member

The owner of my nearest and prefered sandwich shop says I am begining to look to thin and I should eat more.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

So is a body composition analysis worth the money?

Amazed richpips is at the weight he is, but it seems to vary hugely from person to person. I was 10-12 kg heavier when playing a different sport and felt pretty good at that weight. Was more top heavy then. It’s the other way around now.

The main concern for me is fatigue. I increased my training mileage a lot over the last 2 months after making the decision to give racing a go. I also have a half marathon to train for and the legs never seem to recover fully between the running and the cycling. I’ve still not had a week off in 12 weeks of training though. Perhaps I’m due one soon.

I eat pretty healthily. I avoid liquor, processed meat, crisps and other junk food. I try and get as much of my carbs from fruit and veg as possible, sleep sensibly and so on. I’m just not sure what the next step is now.

richpips
    Free Member

“Amazed richpips is at the weight he is, but it seems to vary hugely from person to person.”

The heaviest I’ve ever been is 67Kg during a couple of lazy years.

I don’t worry about food or beer intake, though I do ride a fair bit – 3700 miles and 330,000’since January.

If I fussed over my diet, no doubt I’d look like that dude up there. ^^^^

thomthumb
    Free Member

The protein content of quinoa is highly overrated when you consider how many carbs you have to eat to get the protein.

you mean there’s more protein in fish?! wow – I learn something every day.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The Ethiopians appear to be getting 3/4 of their protein from bread/pasta and other refined grains.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-8-7.pdf

And seem to do ok.

ac282

In my experience, those who don’t do sport make negative comments on my streamlined appearance.

Those that run or cycle that I know say I look fit (sic).

That works the other way as well. My wife has a friend with an eating disorder. When I first met her I just assumed she was a runner in good form.

richpips
    Free Member

That works the other way as well. My wife has a friend with an eating disorder. When I first met her I just assumed she was a runner in good form.

Sadly it does. We know a fairly good runner also who didn’t (doesn’t) eat properly who broke her leg rolling over in bed. Word was she was suffering from malnutrition. She bakes cakes for anyone, never eats any, and earns loads of money so no excuses for foodage.

🙁

turboferret

I have the book on my Kindle, but am yet to read it. I’m curious as to how my weight would affect my triathlon performance, especially as that is a sport full of compromises. Huge cyclists thighs won’t help you much on the run, neither will carrying lots of chest and arm muscles, but what is the fastest spread of muscles overall across the total race.

After completing a few 70.3’s and not doing horrendously, I completed my first full IM a couple of weeks ago, and keen to improve on what I considered to be a relatively mediocre time. I’m putting the training in at around 18 hours a week, but 5’10” and 10st I’m on the light side. Carrying a bit more bulk might be the key to a bit more speed.

You may wish to consider investing in a set of fancy scales. I have the Tanita BC1000 which are a bit flash as they are ANT+ and you interrogate them with a compatible Garmin watch. You do get some fantastic trends to upload to Garmin Connect though as seen below. While the body fat may not be 100% accurate, it should be repeatable, so despite perhaps being out by a couple of percent, it will give you consistent comparative info.

It will also be able to tell if you put on weight, what sort of weight you are putting on – water/muscle/fat or in a strange scenario, perhaps even bone 🙂

As The Swedish Chef has already said, I know when I’m in form when people tell me that I look ill, or my particular favourite, cadaverous 😀

Cheers, Rich

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers, I did look at the Tanita, but can’t justify the cost at the moment. Just tracking my weight daily using some Salter scales with the body fat percentage measurement though I’m not sure the latter is very accurate. Perhaps a log of some sort will help though.

Found a saddle sore the size of a 10p piece yesterday so I think I’m going to be doing a bit more running until it gives over. Blast it.

Out of interest, what is your run split time for the 70.3? Running is probably my biggest weakness. Also, are you doing any gym work? Do you find it helps with the cycling or the running?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

ANT+ scales, wow, more data, must have…….. 8)

composite
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member

So is a body composition analysis worth the money?

I think this depends on you and the attitude of place you go to.

The sessions I have cost £60.

I think that purely for the measurements and the report you get from it that the £60 would be expensive.

However the sessions normally end up lasting twice as long as they “should” because of all the other advice she gives me during the chat we have afterwards. Plenty of nutritional advice was the main thing to start, then into calculating daily intakes of food, training tips and ideas. She does keep trying to get me to do CX though which is worrying… I keep her up to date with “my progress” between sessions via email and she encourages and makes comment.

All that help is all very well though but you have to put it into practice. I went away and did every thing she told me to do to the letter pretty much and my numbers between sessions has shown a really good improvement. Seeing this has really helped to make me feel like I’m getting value for money.

EDIT: Of course you don’t NEED someone to help you in this way but even though I’m highly motivated by myself, I think that having to be accountable to someone else has helped.

avdave2

I went away and did every thing she told me to do to the letter

I have a wife so I can do that. 🙂

turboferret

My last 70.3 had a 1:32 run split, lap 5

I don’t do any gym work, although perhaps I should.

Tanita BC1000 review from DC Rainmaker

If you have scales which already measure body fat and are able to write down your readings, then probably no point in splashing out on a Tanita, especially as you would probably find that you needed to buy a new Garmin to work with it! I find that the body fat reading does fluctuate quite a bit with hydration, and always weigh myself first thing in the morning after a visit to the bathroom to try and minimise variations. While it’s probably not a great absolute reading, changes and trends are interesting to track.

Cheers, Rich

composite
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member

I have a wife so I can do that.

😆 I’d rather pay for that kind of treatment when it suits me. 😆

timb34
    Free Member

I have the book on my Kindle, but am yet to read it. I’m curious as to how my weight would affect my triathlon performance, especially as that is a sport full of compromises. Huge cyclists thighs won’t help you much on the run, neither will carrying lots of chest and arm muscles, but what is the fastest spread of muscles overall across the total race.

As far as I remember, Racing Weight won’t actually tell you what your optimum weight is (although there is some discussion about typical/ideal body types for different endurance sports).

I haven’t got a copy here, but I’m sure that there’s a section where he says that the only way to know your optimum racing weight is through experience – it tends to be that leaner is better, but too lean or too light can also decrease performance.

mjsmke

What weight the internet or books say you should be at will always be a general/average thing. Everyone has a different natural build. As long as your happy and healthy then ignore other people.

Also I find people who are overweight see anyone who isn’t fat as skinny. I get really annoyed when people say to me “oh you can eat what you want. your skinny” No. I’m not skinny or fat because I control what I eat.

According to BMI charts in books and the internet i should weigh between 8 and 10 stone, yet I’m 10.5 due to lifting weights (my waist is only 28in).

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Racing Weight – Worth A Buy?’ is closed to new replies.