Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Racing Ralphs on Tarmac……………….???
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Okay off to the pryenees tomorrow got a couple of days being guided and the rest probably on the roads, will my brand new older version RR’s 2.25 be too draggy on the road?????Should I take some very old 1.8 panacers???

Gary_M
    Free Member

Pretty fast on the road if pumped hard enough, I have them on my cx bike and it flies with them on. But they do wear out very, very quickly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wider tyres are not slower on tarmac (or generally).

Heavier tyres and those with thicker rubber/bigger knobs etc are.

twinklydave

they’re surprisingly fast rolling for a knobbly mtb tyre, not semi slick fast, obviously, but not too bad

darrell
    Free Member

I’m currently using some on a old mountain bike that i use for road training. they are great on the tarmac. but like someone up there says, they wear out pretty damn quickly

Marge
    Free Member

I find them pretty good too particularly when pumped up hard. (though the newer version is slightly better)
    I’ve got some specific Mich XC ‘hard terrain’ tyres with almost no tread pattern and I find the difference between them & the RR’s negligible.

OT: I want to try some Furious Freds now…

hicksville
    Free Member

thanks for the advice as long as they last the week no problems

phyncra
    Free Member

Wider tyres are not slower on tarmac – quick some one tell them before the tour starts! To think they’ve been mincing around on 23 mm tyres when a 2.5″ would have been faster all along – doh!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Wider tyres are not slower on tarmac – quick some one tell them before the tour starts!

See caveat about weight though 🙂

ampthill

were are you going in the Pyrenees?

A good day out on the road is the Tourmalet followed by the dirt road up Pic de Midi (you top out at over 2,600m)

I’ll confess that we started part way up the Tourmalet as that was where were camping (Barege I think)

Link to climb details

I think I had Specialized ground controls on my bike? Maybe 1.5 inch hard packs

I’m sure Ralph will be fine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wider tyres are not slower on tarmac – quick some one tell them before the tour starts! To think they’ve been mincing around on 23 mm tyres when a 2.5″ would have been faster all along – doh!

At speeds an mtber is likely to ride, aerodynamics aren’t going to matter…and is IM says, it’s only the weight of wider tyres that makes them slower (all other things being equal)

avdave2

What about friction?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You are better off using wide draggy tyres for short runs. They make you fitter!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralphs on Tarmac……………….???’ is closed to new replies.