Racing Ralphs in the Lake District?

Home Forum Bike Forum Racing Ralphs in the Lake District?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Racing Ralphs in the Lake District?
  • Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

I’m going to the Lake District later today to be rained on.

Currently my bike has Racing Ralphs (snake skin). I could spend an hour fooling around swapping them over to Nobby Nics but is it worth it? Just drop the pressure a bit?

bigyinn

I dont think I’d want either of them on my bike at this time of year regardless.

jekkyl

Could probably do with a bit more grip if you’re doing tech stuff I reckon. Ralps will be ok for made up tracks though. What trails were you thinking?

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I’ve used RRs quite a bit in the Lakes, though not so much at this time of year. You won’t die, though they might be a bit sub-optimal.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Pretty sure I did Helvellyn via Sticks Pass on a NN/RR pair. And Grisedale (or is it Grizedale? – whichever is the FC trail), and the entire Whinlatter trails entirely in permanent all-day rain.
    Survived, and had a nice round 0 punctures.
    Also didn’t change them, cos it seemed like far too much faff, and that was with tubes too.

Premier Icon clareymorris
    Subscriber

Gettemswapped!

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Based in Keswick. Will prob. go to Whinlatter given the forecast, possibly look at Borrowdale. Sunday forecast looks more promising though, so somewhere epic would be nice….

jekkyl

get up Helvellyn, it’s awesome.

So long as the ground is firm (and I’d expect the Lakes to be more rocky than mud?), I find RR’s to be pretty good. They only fall down in deep mud.

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Nobby Nic tubeless-ready tyres + tubeless-ready rims (Pacenti) == awesome!

Premier Icon postierich
    Subscriber

just your sidewalls will let you down, stick a NN on the front !

munrobiker

I’d not swap, it’s all rocks so you don’t really need extra tread. They are surprisingly good in normal mud anyway.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden with Captain front, RR rear at Whinlatter and Grizedale (natural) and while it’s definitely suboptimal, with the wheel spinning out on steeper climbing, you won’t necessarily die. Wouldn’t really want one on the front though.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t! I’d only ride with big thick heavy rubber – exo protection on front and dual ply minion on rear. The tyres are battered and I can’t see how RR or NN would survive if ridden on rocky trails with gusto. Chap on Wednesday had two punctures with NNs above Grasmere and the week before tore the sidewall the other weekend near Boredale Hause.

benedetto

hi guys i know it’s a little bit ot but it’s about the lakes anyway. i’m italian and i’ve never been there, i have the opportunity for some day offs the first weekend of march… i was thinking about going to the lakes, is it worthy in that time of the year??

Thanks a lot!

benedetto

grum

i have the opportunity for some day offs the first weekend of march… i was thinking about going to the lakes, is it worthy in that time of the year??

It’s a great place to ride all year round. Beautiful too.

In March last year there was snow and ice everywhere and riding was tricky in many places – the year before it was beautifully sunny and warm. Enjoy! 🙂

benedetto

thanks! I’ll have an highball with an enduro set up and an intense carbine…. shall i go full?

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Happily rode on RaRa’s at the peak district last sunday, 29er’s running 25psi with no issues.

GaVgAs

Clareymorris is right..:)

Bendetto be sure to call in at any of the local bike shops they will happily help you out with route info, failing that theres a group ride from Keswick on a Tuesday evening 630 at the peddlar cafe, you will need lights, A mandatory beer and short councelling session follows in the Bank tavern pub afterwards.

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Subscriber

Im sure you’ll have fun regardless of what tyres you use 🙂

grum

thanks! I’ll have an highball with an enduro set up and an intense carbine…. shall i go full?

You’ll have more fun on the full suss IMO. Hardtail is also fine though you might be more likely to puncture at the back.

Rode whinlater last week on hardtail with a pair of ralfs on.
    Yes slightly sub optimal but was fun. Back up today for more. Sure they will be grand

benedetto

thanks for the advice guys, I’ll ask more infos on the forum next month to prepare a great trip, can’t wait!

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Well, for the record:

Racing Ralphs in Whinlatter are just fine.

But venture out beyond the safety of Whinlatter, and you need something with somewhat tougher sidewalls!

Many thanks to the kind people who gave us a tube, after we’d worked our way through our meagre supply of spares (3).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralphs in the Lake District?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top