Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron or x king 29er ?
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Looking for some light FAST summer rubber for the 29er stumpy, I have £75 credit burning a hole in my pocket to spend at the Canyon store and these are available at sale price for about £25 each.

29 x 2.25 ron or ralph evo, light 535g ish versions
    29 x 2.4 X king protection black chilli 755g

Was going to go for em front and rear, not really used any of em before so up for advice, are they crap up front?
    Wont be riding anywhere rocky just local trail centre and bit of tarmac etc. More demanding rides will be done on the magic mary shod 650b bike.
    They also have Nobby Nics evo 2.25’s for the front if they’d be a safer option?
    Cheers

djflexure

I like the Ron’s front and rear for a range of conditions
    I might have a bit of puncture protection in mine – snakeskin, DD whatever they call it.

njee20
    Free Member

Rons are a lighter carcass than Ralphs, so if they’re the same weight something is up.

The Ralph rolls marginally quicker, the Ron has a bit more ‘all round’ grip.

For light weight and fast though it has to be Thunder Burts if they’re an option?

mark_rich
    Free Member

Rons stated at 550g
    Ralphs 535g according to canyon site, I think they are the light skin version.

No thunder burts though.

sideshow
    Free Member

i have an x king as rear, it’s ok, supposed to be more durable than the schwalbe offerings but I haven’t had it long enough to say so first hand. racing ralph is a much faster tyre, if you want a faster conti then race king is the one I think? x king is more like a nobby nic for rolling resistance, though has slightly less grip.

patagonian
    Free Member

I have a Ron/Ralph combination on my 29er. No complaints and I’ve kept them on all thru the winter which is just about doable where I live (Hampshire).
    Went up tubeless really well although the Ralph leaked air thru the sidewalks for about a week until it settled down.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

There’s a 29 x 2.4 X king protection black chilli 755g in the classifieds at the moment for 20 quid i think.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Used to use schwalbe tyres but swopped to conti last year and in my opinion conti are much better. Much less rolling resistance, longer lasting, easier to seat and better grip, try the race king, surprisngly good in all but thick mud

mccraque

I’ve run Rocket Ron’s for years in various sizes. Currently rocking the 29er 2.25 version on the rear of my HT. It replaced a Conti X King.

There’s very little between the two IMO. I do find the Conti marginally more grippy as a front tyre. Both cope well with all but the winter slop. And even then I leave it on.

Both inflate as tubeless easily, both roll really well. the Ron feels slightly more volumous.

Edit * More volume than a 2.2 Conti…but the 2.4 will rectify that!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron or x king 29er ?’ is closed to new replies.