• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Racing Ralph on smooth tarmac track.
  • wheely
    Free Member

I know MTB tyres dont fair well on tarmac – but I have an outdoor velopark very close to my house. Thinking about doing occasional rides there on the Scalpel. As it’s a 1-mile flat track with smooth tarmac I can’t see it causing much wear on the tyres – but would be a good training ground.

Thoughts ?

BadlyWiredDog

Training for what?

wheely
    Free Member

Adding it to my XC training regime when I can’t get to more distant trail centres and XC locations. I know XC isn’t about 1 hour plus sprints but it’s all bike time. Venue is 1/2 mile away and costs £3. So fancy giving it a shot.

ferrals
    Free Member

They will get worn down quick if they are the evo compound.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

My experience is that Continental Race Kings are faster on tarmac due to their tread pattern

tjagain

use a slick? Something like the conti sport contact?

jonnyboi

I can’t see the point tbh, is there no forestry or parks nearby where you could ride fire roads or paths instead?

If you want to do tarmac based training then buy a road bike 🙂

faustus

And if it’s on tarmac then save yourself £3 and ride on a quiet road, poss with some hills, and get more out of it training-wise…?

ampthill

Brother in law claims RR where quicker on tarmac than the cheap slicks they replaced

Wookster

I have Ralph’s on my CX bike, it’s a three mile road route to the trail head (each way) I’ve had no problems at all with premature wear on the tyres, this is twice a week for the wet bit of the year!! So quite a bit…. 😉

Velo park sounds like a good plan, builds the skills, something different to add to the training!

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

I go a couple of miles either way to trails on RR’s, also cycle that bike to and from work everyday. I think they’re OK, obviously never going to be as smooth as slicks but if you don’t fancy changing your tyres all the time then I think they’re a good shout

wheely
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go. No I don’t fancy riding on roads and quiet roads don’t really exist round here. I do masses of hills when training so this is just to try something a little different. There’s generally a bunch of roadies riding around as well so will give me some hares to chase as well.
    I don’t mind paying the £3 !! Costs me that to park at my trail centre !!!!
    If my cadence is fairly high and no hills to exert tyre force it sounds like I’ll be ok — unless they get too hot and wear prematurely (which is unlikely this time of year).

Daffy

My small block 8s wore down VERY quickly creating a square tyre profile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralph on smooth tarmac track.’ is closed to new replies.