Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Racing Ralph Nobby Nic Good Combo??
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Looking to get some new rubber, I ride an Orange Five, I have some wire bead High Rollers 2.35, 2.5 for DH type duties etc and over the dry summer months have been ridding a pair of Bontrager XR1’s. The predominant reason was for the light weight and low resistance. As we moved through the seasons I foresee a bit of extra grip would be good however with my levels of fitness I’d like to keep the weight to a minimum (circa 500g) and the rolling resistance as low as possible (yes I know more grip = more resistance).

I’d come to the decision that RR out back (470g) and NN on the front (600g) could be a winning combo…before I pull the trigger is the a better combo taking in to consideration the balance of grip/weight/rolling resistance?

P.S XC/Trail ridding Cannock/Llandegla, I don’t really ride anywhere rocky if I do take a trip somewhere rocky I’d probably put the HR’s on.

deviant
    Free Member

I have that combination on my 650b hardtail at the moment, I like them but then I like that idea in general (aggressive front – fast rolling rear) and with other tyres too.

Others I like are Continental Trail King (F) and Continental X-King (R)…. If you like Maxxis I’ve found Highroller (F) and Ardent (R) work well too.

asbrooks

I too have the same combination on my 26er hardtail. Whilst they are fast rolling, I find that the front gets a bit sketchy. I have to run them with slightly higher pressure because I find that the side walls tend to roll. To the point I’m going to be looking for something else up front when the wet weather comes. Also I’d like to get away from using tubes and think the side walls will be trouble.

I have no idea what I’ll go for mind. Too much choice and too many opinions 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t rate the Nic, it’s slower than a Ralph without being much grippier. I’d go Ralph both ends.

moonboy
    Free Member

For general razzing around duties IMHO that’s a good setup. Have ridden many miles on NN/RR.

I find the nic on the front is quite sensitive to pressures – i.e. too much pressure and it doesn’t give much confidence. (That could be my riding style) Ease it off a bit and all is good. Ralph on the rear is fine for trail centers, only really struggles in proper mud, no surprises there.

Alternatives, have a lot of time for the Aspen F and Crossmark R. Gives much more than it looks like it should and rolls nice and quick. Ardents are good too, bit grippier.

Having said that, currently trying out X-king F and race king R on the HT and loving it. Tonnes of braking grip but a little bit ‘slidy’ on the rear at speed.

All very much IMHO, others no doubt feel quite differently…

nwill1
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses…I did originally think RR front & rear…2.4 front 2.25 rear??

Might go that direction!

roverpig

Compound matters as much as tread patter. Pacestar rear and trailstar front seems to work well.

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers what’s the simple difference without me trawling the net?

takisawa2

I don’t think they do 2.4 now, it’s 2.35.
    Ralphs are spot on.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Im a recent Ralph convert – they grip surprisingly well for their weight + drag. Currently just on the back of my hard tail but will probably change my nobby nic front to a ralph when it expires. Trouble is front tyres never do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

NN’s hold the record of worst I’ve tried in a while, less grip than my ardents, predictable though they just slipped out whenever 🙂

I like the looks of the new minion and 90% of the time I’m knocking round on ardents.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Hans Dampf on the arse and a Ralph up front was good for me.

Wanted something more burly so now on Minion DH 2.5 front and High Roller 2 2.35 60a rear.

Which is incredible.

somouk
    Free Member

I run NN up front and ralph on the rear of my 29er hardtail and used to run it on my full sus. Decent combination!

darrenspink
    Free Member

RR’s are not a winter tyre. But if you just ride trails with little mud and don’t thrash it much the combo is good, just make sure you get a top of the range NN.

bigyinn
    Free Member

cfinnimore – Member

Interesting, I have the same combo, but reversed….

superstu
    Free Member

Would avoid a NN on the front like the plague

Can’t comment on the RR as haven’t used them

rocketman
    Free Member

Trail ridding Cannock

You’ll be on your ear quicker than you can say Nobby Nic. Cannock’s unique geology requires something grippy and stable on the front have a look at HRII, Spesh Butcher Control, maybe a 2.5 Minion or a 2.4 Betty

Ralph OK on the back maybe a Ron if you ride with some finesse and can put up with the astronomical wear rate

mboy
    Free Member

The Ralph is an OK rear tyre for dry conditions. Grips is reasonable considering the weight and speed, but they can let go quite spectacularly under braking sometimes. They wear quite quickly too.

Nic is quite simply the worst tyre I’ve used. It’s not good at anything! People seem to love them for some reason, I just found it crap at everything! The wear rate is unbelievable too (you can trash one as quick as a Super Tacky Maxxis, if not quicker!) but they offer naff all grip as a trade off. In the rear they’re slow, mildly predictable but let go very early. On the front they offer no reassurance whatsoever!

Tyres are highly personal but I too tend to prefer running a grippier tyre on the front and a faster one on the back. A favourite 26″ combo was a 60a Single Ply 2.35 HR up front and a 2.25 Crossmark on the back. Fast, plenty of grip, not especially light but then for XC racing I’d run XC race tyres and not worry about the weight the rest of the time. My current fave combo now I’m on 29ers is a GEAX Goma 2.25 on the front, and a GEAX Saguaro 2.2 on the back. The Saguaro is way better than a Ralph in every respect except for weight, and the Goma is like a lighter, faster version of a single ply minion.

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting, I have the same combo, but reversed….[/quote]

That was my thoughts, strange to put the HD on the back.

The Saguaro is way better than a Ralph in every respect except for weight,

Are they not >700g? As the weight is a big plus of the Ralph, it’s not really a comparator if you want a fast tyre.

I personally think Ralphs are more competent than folk give credit for, they’re not a mud tyre of course, but they’re fine up to full on mud IMO.

Northwind

TBH Racing Ralphs on a Five should probably be raising questions about changing bike not tyre…

Mine flatted everywhere and the tread broke down absurdly fast, I got fed up of them but the 2.4 Ralph definitely does have its place as a fast smooth-surface light-use front tyre.

maxtorque

My first suggestion would be to not listen to anyone on internet forums about “tyres”!!

They are all pretty much round and black imo as long as you choose one from a decent manufacturer!

emac65
    Free Member

You’ll be on your ear quicker than you can say Nobby Nic. Cannock’s unique geology requires something grippy and stable on the front

Sorry,but that’s rubbish.My local is The Chase & I’ve been using Nic/Ralph combo for the last few years on all my bikes.Nics/Ralphs are fairly sensitive to what PSI you run & Schwalbe tyres always seem to be a better tyre when run tubeless IME.never had any problems with using them on rocks or slate either,unlike Conti’s !
    Used to use a Ralph front & back but found they wear down to quick,so just keep one for the back now.Which still wears out quick but at least the Nic lasts 3 times as long….

rocketman
    Free Member

My local is The Chase & I‘ve been using Nic/Ralph combo for the last few years never lean over more than 5 degrees from vertical

adsh
    Free Member

I find the ralphs a bit scary even as a rear when its not dry. Some high speed drifts in damp soil in the woods in summer when descending makes me pretty carefull on them. Personaly I prefer Rons but they wear even faster

Sonor
    Free Member

Been using the NN/RR combo on both hardtail and full sus for about 8 years with no issues, I do occasionally go NN front and rear as well, There doesn’t appear to be much rolling resistance between NN/RR imho.

As for the clumsy oafs who slag these tyres off, go get a fat bike with their tyres for your more appropriate riding style then. 😉

cheers_drive

The Saguaro is way better than a Ralph in every respect except for weight,
    Are they not >700g? As the weight is a big plus of the Ralph, it’s not really a comparator if you want a fast tyre.

I personally think Ralphs are more competent than folk give credit for, they’re not a mud tyre of course, but they’re fine up to full on mud IMO.
    I’ve changed from RaRas to Saguaros on the back (29er) and they are definitely comparable for speed, in fact I’d sat Saguaros rollfaster. Rolling resistance is much more important than weight IMO.
    Run the NN on the front and don’t have an issue with them in 29er form although wasn’t that impressed on the 26ers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As for the clumsy oafs who slag these tyres off, go get a fat bike with their tyres for your more appropriate riding style then.

I just got some better tyres for the job. NN’s are not an an experience I’d repeat.

richardthird

Light but grip and roll and not made of paper? Ikon 3C EXO TR?

franki
    Free Member

You’ll be on your ear quicker than you can say Nobby Nic. Cannock’s unique geology requires something grippy and stable on the front have a look at HRII, Spesh Butcher Control, maybe a 2.5 Minion or a 2.4 Betty

Has it occurred to you that maybe, some riders wouldn’t be prepared to handicap their climbing and flat ground speed by fitting those massive tractor tyres?
    I’m another Cannock regular and I’d never run anything approaching a downhill tyre for general trail riding – waymarked or cheeky.

The o.p. stated he wanted to keep weight and rolling resistance as low as possible – with reasonable grip…

rocketman
    Free Member

…clumsy oafs who slag these tyres off

It’s not a matter of being clumsy or an oaf. If we were all aces and could hit every line all the time everywhere and didn’t brake much then all we’d need ever need is 1.8″ Tiogas.

But some of us make mistakes and maybe get a bit off line or have to brake harder, and bigger grippier tyres are more forgiving

I’m another Cannock regular and I’d never run anything approaching a downhill tyre for general trail riding

Ok good for you

franki
    Free Member

It’s not a matter of being clumsy or an oaf. If we were all aces and could hit every line all the time everywhere and didn’t brake much then all we’d need ever need is 1.8″ Tiogas.

But some of us make mistakes and maybe get a bit off line or have to brake harder, and bigger grippier tyres are more forgiving

I don’t think it’s about being aces and having huge talent – just depends on the type of rider you are and what you enjoy most.
    I’ve no doubt aggro tyres can be pushed way harder on the downs at Cannock and will let you get away with it a bit more when you’re really ragging it, but I’d rather take it a bit easier downhill than suffer the extra weight and drag up the climbs.
    There are loads of riders using the tyres you mention, but they aren’t for everyone, that was my point.

mboy
    Free Member

Light but grip and roll and not made of paper? Ikon 3C EXO TR?

Good shout. They’re damned expensive though (not that most decent tyres are cheap!), but certainly a worthwhile investment for a fast/light/grippy 3 season rear tyre.

It’s probably 150g heavier than a Ralph like for like, but I’d suggest for most people most of the time, for the extra performance, longevity and sturdier casing, it’s a price worth paying. Also the OP is riding an Orange 5, I’m thinking that “light” tyres doesn’t necessarily need to mean full on weight weenie XC race bike tyres.

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and another shout for a fast/light/grippy tyre…

The GEAX AKA. Lighter than the Saguaro, wears faster, offers pretty similar grip. Looks a bit like a Kenda Small Block 8 but with much beefier side knobs.

theupsetter
    Free Member

had this combo on my five and loved it – ran snakeskin and double defence ralph

emac65
    Free Member

rocketman – Member

My local is The Chase & I’ve been using Nic/Ralph combo for the last few years never lean over more than 5 degrees from vertical

LOL,Oh you can get them right over if you know how to distribute your weight properly………. 8)

richardthird

mboy – GEAX AKA TNT – how do they size up, mount tubeless alright?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Racing Ralph Nobby Nic Good Combo??’ is closed to new replies.