Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Racing mtb…..kind of
  • mcboo
    Free Member

So I did some road sportives last year, some big ones, had a great time. Am going to do the same again this summer but would like to mix it up with my first love, the trails. Is there an easy way to find out what is going on and where?

I’m 40, I love cycling, fairly skinny but I’m not giving up beer…..anyone else feel that way?

rickon
    Free Member

XCRacer.com

Do the Welsh XC series 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

crc marathon series-off road sportives.

mcboo
    Free Member

yeh just had a look at those, look about right……do folks generally show up the day before and camp?

mcboo
    Free Member

But educate me……a marathon looks a lot like a road sportive right? Not a race as such, just a big day out on a marked course, go as fast as you like.

What can I expect to do on a XC event? I think I did one years ago in Scotland, 2-3hrs going round a looped course? Was hard…….and competitive!

gothandy

I’d avoid the out and out XC races (well i do anyway) I enjoyed a lot of marathon events last year, some competitive most not officially races. You are right to say it is mostly about riding a marked course with a good group of people, but I suspect like Road Sportives that things at the front of the field get a bit more serious. Results are almost always published online.

The CRC marathon series is well worth a look, the Afan Monster was my favorite event by far last year which was for charity and even the Evans Ride It! I did in the Cotswolds was fun.

As you say they I think the format is very similar to Sportive. Also look for anything with Randonnée in the title, I did the Cheddar one last year but looks like they cancelled that one this year.

I’ve put together a list of things I’m interested in here http://gothandy.wordpress.com/events/ be warned there will be a Bristol bias to my list.

cp

Where are you located mcboo? Ther are a lot of race series around the country. As mentioned, scraggy is a good place to start, as is the British cycling website.

Generally, like sportives, there’s some very very quick folk who take it seriously.. But there is every ability there generally. You’ll generlly have your own race/s within the race if you’re not at th sharp end!

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m N.London

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out the Gorrick races…

http://www.gorrick.com/calendar_page.php?type=R

You might fancy the Enduro event on May 1. Might give that a go myself actually.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m booked in for CRC Marshbrook in Shropshire this year 😀 They’re non-competitive and seems like a good route which includes Minton Batch, my favourite descent!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Racing mtb…..kind of’ is closed to new replies.