Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Racing – how fit/good do you need/want to be?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

….to not make a bit of an arse of yourself…

Having done my first ever race this year, albeit Ten under the Ben, I’ve got the bug and fancy doing a few more events next year. Whilst the team event was ace, I’m also considering entering some solo races (not of the endurance type..f that..) and some more Gravity based enduro stuff.

My question is what is the general standard like for these types of (local)events and what category should I enter into. To give you some idea of capability, for those that know Glentress red I reckon I could go round in about an hr and a quarter ish, not tragic but not very good either. Enduros I imagine are a bit harder to establish whether I’d make a complete tit of myself or not..

Just to be clear, I have no interest in winning, more to go out, have fun and meet some like minded folks. Having said that I don’t want to roll in hrs after everyone else and make a total nobber of myself 🙂

what do you all reckon?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll not be last, train enough and you may do well.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thats what I like to hear!

Is it split into categories like beginner/fun/expert etc etc?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

xc ones generally are, I’m not sure about enduros etc.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oddly the fitter I have got the lessi enjoyed the racing

When I started it was fun with no expectation , but once I got my first podium Finnish it went down hill
    Used to get frustrated if I was not going so well.

Note. Im not wanting to put you off just keep having fun

cynic-al
    Free Member

seeing your performance improve is great, but yeah, I didn’t last long after that stage.

DT78
    Free Member

Been racing 2 seasons on and off now. Personally I prefer the endurance events suit me better. I’m still having fun, not sure if I will ever be properly competitive what with a family and full time job but getting top third results in most races I enter.

Main thing I’ve learnt to improve my lap times is to nail the flats/climbs flatout and recover in the singletrack, safer and you can make more time up. Obviously the fast boys are flat out everywhere. I train 5-10 hours per week and am still a good 10-15% slower per lap than the elites.

Look at your diet, loose weight (if appropriate) and get yourself a carbon 29er hardtail 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Just enter some and see. It is really hard to get an idea unless you actually start racing. There will be a broad range of people but the fast guys at the front are normally ridiculous.

It depends on your local races – there will be a broad range of riders but they’ll always be one or two just out to practice for proper races. I’ve had Pro’s turn up to local road races, the guy who is winning our CX races was at the worlds (as a junior) last year.

Also racing is a good way to get fit – you’ll puch yourself harder than you thought you could to get past the guy in front or fend off the attacks.

hels
    Free Member

Come and do the MTB TT at Innerleithen on 29 September. We get a wide range of abilities/bikes at these events. All have fun tho.

njee20
    Free Member

not sure if I will ever be properly competitive what with a family and full time job but getting top third results in most races I enter.

Plenty of top guys have jobs and families.

The Enduro races I’ve looked at seem to have an elite category (if you hold an elite licence for any MTB discipline), master (over 30), vet (over 40) and senior (for everyone else). XC tends to have more splits for ‘everyone else’ but the distances are different.

TiRed

Just started racing this year in Gorrick events, and I finish middle third in Open class. On a rigid 29er singlespeed (I don’t have another race bike). With hardly any skill. And yes you will push yourself harder.

I don’t expect to win, but a move to the lower tritile would be nice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Racing – how fit/good do you need/want to be?’ is closed to new replies.