• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by juan.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • racing-enduro-what-do-you-need-to-put-in one question though
  • juan
    Free Member

This article provides a very good read. I have to admit, although the end is a bit black and white to my liking. What if you come from MTBing? Not DH racing nor XC racing, but just MTBing, you know spending your average week end day doing a loop of 40-60kms with between 1500 to 2200 m of altitude gain with mates?

STWer please answer…

wrecker
    Free Member

Really?
    Man who is very good at cardio and sells cardio training tells everyone that they need cardio training?
    I found it a bit thin TBH, but he’s clearly a very good and fit rider.

chakaping
    Free Member

Juan – I’d say the potential gaps in your skillset would be the same as he lists for XC racers.

That’s what I’ve found personally anyway racing enduros, my top end let me down a bit in the last one and I could do with more upper body strength to keep the bike moving and on line when pedalling isn’t an option.

juan
    Free Member

Even if I am sure to be nowhere near as skilled as Mr Shurter, I do however strongly believe that I am more skilled than any sunday jey hey boy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry, I forgot who I was dealing with here.

Garry_Lager

Article is spot on IMO – I rode EWS last weekend and felt just like he says (obv at a substantially lower level of intensity). You need the base aerobic fitness to get through the practice and the event, but the transitions were trivial. You could push up them. It was all about DH fitness and strength, two things I was sorely lacking!

If I were doing it again I wouldn’t do anything special in the cardio department, just go out as normal. I’d concentrate 100% on having the strength to ride DH at higher intensity.

Course that was just one enduro. Transitions may be more of a big deal with others.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

Man who is very good at cardio and sells cardio training tells everyone that they need cardio training?

Did we read the same article?

@Juan… He’s basically just talking about working on whatever aspect of your riding is weakest, when applied to this sort of use. So, do that. Or if no aspect of your riding has any weaknesses, go and win the EWS.

wrecker
    Free Member

Did we read the same article?

Dunno. I’ll admit to being a cynical bastard though.

juan
    Free Member

Never said my riding as no weaknesses, and I did say overall it was a good article. I am just saying that there is more to the world of riding than DHers or XC boys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘racing-enduro-what-do-you-need-to-put-in one question though’ is closed to new replies.