Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Racial stereotyping…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Today my boiler was fixed by a Glaswegian Sikh plumber. Not a combination I’d have expected. He did a good job by the way.

(Hopes the thread doesn’t get hijacked by the usual nonsense…)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not a combination I’d have expected.

Why….aren’t there many Glaswegians where you live ?

cannyj
    Free Member

Pesky Sikhs, we get everywhere! Some of us even fix boilers 🙂

organdonor
    Free Member

The first Glaswegian I ever met was a Sikh, nice guy. I’m almost certain he could have fixed my boiler, had I asked him.

loddrik
    Free Member

Do I need a point..?

(Thread starts to go….)

I guess we don’t get many Sikhs or Glaswegians here, so a combination of the two was unusual.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m almost certain he could have fixed my boiler, had I asked him.

Apparently, Sikhs are genetically predetermined to fix boilers.

Something called the Honeywell gene.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did he have a tartan turban ?

spw3

I once got a taxi driven by a Sikh. In Seattle. He had an American accent and it was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Jamie
    Free Member

‘Murica!

WillH

Reminds me of the one and only time I went to Ireland. Flew into Limerick, and got the bus to my friend’s place. There were two black guys on the bus talking away in broad west-coast Irish accents, it really struck me as surreal at the time. Sheltered upbringing I guess!

spw3

Jamie – stop it right now. There are only three acceptable accents for Sikhs – cut-glass English, Indian and Glaswegian.

Fact.

<calms self as world collapses>

Jamie
    Free Member

spw3

Though to be fair your Captain Sikh America is a cracking photo. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Ok ok, I lead a sheltered life. Looks like Sikhs also fix stuff. Not sure on his Glaswegianess though.

Jamie
    Free Member

He appears to have a deep fried Mars bar in his pocket, so safe to assume he is a Glaswegian.

loddrik
    Free Member

😆

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s a big new gurdwara on the South side – just finished last year, I think – so there’s a decent size Sikh community in Glasgow.

Used to see them turn up at various fun runs – including one year all wearing “Guru Nanak Wants You” t-shirts in the style of The Lord Kitchener poster 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

There’s a big new gurdwara on the South side

Next to a plumbers merchants?

bencooper
    Free Member

Directly opposite a builders yard, according to Streetview 😀

Drac

Well, never knew Plumber was a race.

globalti
    Free Member

If it had been an African plumber you’d have found that the heat exchanger, gas valve, thermostat and fan in your boiler would have been mysteriously exchanged for “fairly used” ones from down at the local spare parts market.

Pieface

*Large Ethnic population in large British city shocker* 🙄

freeagent
    Free Member

I work in Glasgow from time to time, and eat out when we’re staying over. (I could write a book on Glasgow curry houses)
    Sikhs with Glaswegian accents always make me smile. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

What race was he?

hora
    Free Member

Sikh’s rock. I also love how they can be both patriotic AND still have their group-identity.

(I grew up around Sikhs). For the most very good, humble and capable people.

hatter

I must say the most incongruous ethnic mash-up I’ve ever encountered was a German Rastafarian I overheard in a cafe near Lake Garda. His accent was something to behold.

P.S, loving the quick draw photoshop Jamie

bikebouy
    Free Member

Today my boiler was fixed by a Glaswegian Sikh plumber. It was Not a combination Boiler as I’d have expected.

FIFY

nickc

Guy works for me, whiter than a Persil advert bed sheet comes from Kingston….Jamaica.

His accent is something to behold, most people assume he’s putting it on, he tells me about all the shit he’s had for it. Scary stuff

Houns

I once worked with a girl who had Chinese family but was born in Northern Ireland. She totally threw me when I first spoke to her, as every Chinese female I’d met before were very softly spoken, she had the typical harsh/loud NI accent

Sikhs in Glasgow? I loved this show

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/meet-the-magoons

SD-253
    Free Member

How do they ware safety hats on a building site??

convert

Assume this comment was a link to this news

Now just imagine a sikh cycling helmet debate thread…..

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Totters crash turbans, obviously

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t be silly – clearly he’s racially Glaswegian.

Houns

Hmm saw a Rasta last week wearing a safety hat on a site I drove past, was literally balanced on top of his dreads, how it stayed on I don’t know, surely he could put a case forward now to be exempt from wearing one?

hora
    Free Member

houns-

Mrshora now sounds like a Manc.

My sis in law sounds like a brummie.

(Both were Yorkshire-Chinese born and bred).

I however, will always sound like a Yorkshire lad.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Weegie Sikhs can cook too see Hardeep Singh Kholi and Tony Singh.

Hardeep is often on R4 but is not as funny as his brother Sanjeev.

Other Glaswegian cooks and heating maintenance personnel are available.

vinnyeh

Had a Sikh work colleague lovely bloke, Guardian reading liberal etc etc but…

Was quite worried one of his daughters was possibly going off the rails (in his eyes) at uni, dating English boys, and hoping that nothing would come of it. All came good in the end though, she ended up being ‘introduced’ to a nice Sikh lad from a good family, with good prospects, they married, ended up emigrating to Seattle. Taxi driver line above reminded me of this.

However, my friend was a bit pissed one night while the daughter was still running wild, and he confessed that, in his eyes there was a definite hierarchy of suitable partners for his daughter, with Blacks and Untouchables being at the bottom-marriage to either would sadly mean the end of contact with his daughter.

He had no prejudices that I saw with regard to working with people of any race, or drinking with them, just didn’t want his kids getting married to someone outside his own race and caste. Unsure whether this is racial discrimination or not.

SD-253
    Free Member

Was in pub on Lincolnshire Wolds and Chinese bloke came in with his family. Wanted to know why his house was always referred to as Black Bobs house? The Landlord told him because a Black Bloke called Bob used to live there (obviously) and the house was a good spot to use to give directions from ie turn left at Black Bobs house!
    I then pipped up “but we are changing the name
    now”. He said “oh i liked that name whats it going to be called now” I said are you “seriously? Honestly Steve can’t you work that out?
    For those who can’t it is now called Chinese Steves House. He was amused even when I asked him which chippy he owned!!! But his white wife was definetly not amused!!

alpin
    Free Member

saw a big black guy riding along the river the other week wearing full-on lederhosen complete with ankle socks and frilly shirt. made me smile.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

saw a big black guy riding along the river the other week wearing full-on lederhosen complete with ankle socks and frilly shirt. made me smile.

Useless without pics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Racial stereotyping…’ is closed to new replies.