• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Leon.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Racers with Tubeless – what do you carry?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Oktoberfest this weekend, so sub 30 minute laps, and this time I’ve got tubeless on my bike (Stans ZTR Crest, normal folding crossmarks, and sealant).
    Can’t decide if there’s any point in carrying spare tubes and a pump or not, or just risk having to run if something goes wrong. I’ve had zero issues so far just in normal riding…

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Maxxis flyweight tube strapped to the saddle and gas, if it gets used, at the pit stop strap another on and grab another cannister.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I ride with one Co2 canister in my back pocket. Not had a puncture that I’ve noticed, although my front tyre was rather flat after a race at the weekend (only noticed back at home the next day), so I presumed I got a puncture at some point, and it sealed itself.

I take the view that for most of my races, if I get anything that takes more than a co2 canister to fix, I’ll have wasted so much time that my result will be rubbish anyway, so I may as well abandon or walk back (not that I have ever had to).

njee20
    Free Member

Co2, plus a tube if it’s a big race, although I’ve not used it in 10 years tubeless. Either sealed with sealant, or trashed the tyre.

Leon
    Free Member

is the idea with just co2, that if you get a pucnture, it should re-seal, but you might lose a bit too much pressure?

I just wonder if a small pump is better. My uses of C02 in race situations have not been super successful, and if it’s just topping up 10psi into a tyre, perhaps not really quicker?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CO2 would probably be lighter than a pump?

Downside of CO2 is it can freeze/solidify the latex into one solid lump.

br
    Free Member

if you carry a tube you’ll probably also need pliers to undo the t/l valve, so just co2

aracer
    Free Member

CO2, two tubes and a pump. Though I tend(ed) to do races where you can be a long way from civilization and the results margins can be more than big enough to put a tube in (my personal record victory margin is a little over 24 hours 😉 ).

if you carry a tube you’ll probably also need pliers to undo the t/l valve

Can happily undo mine with my fingers.

Have never used 2 tubes, but occasionally 1 (though not for a few years).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Don’t carry anything. If I puncture then I’m walking back for early finish. No issues for me and TBH I haven’t punctured since going tubeless 20 months ago. Out in the wilds or trail centre I take spare tube etc only because it’s a long way home. Ashton court 10 min push.

njee20
    Free Member

CO2 is far quicker, the weight isn’t really a factor for me.

If the sealant does its job (as I said above, it always has for me, probably 3 punctures over the years) you don’t need to be off the bike for more than a minute. If it does freeze the sealant if won’t have any detrimental effect at the time, never actually seen that happen!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ll have a maxxis flyweight tube and a co2 strapped under my saddle, but i’m soloing and have no support, tbh leon I thinj you would have to be very unlucky to puncture on that course. Top tip though, make sure you have topped up the sealant in your tyres if you haven’t done so for a while.

terrahawk
    Free Member

tube, c02 and a patch cut out of a toothpaste tube in case I rip the tyre in a big(ish) way.

xcracer1
    Free Member

I havent raced much recently but have had some issues with tubeless not sealing a puncture and having to walk back so now (mostly) always carry a tube/pump.

Leon
    Free Member

right, it’s small laps, and I’m pretty confident.

I’m going to top up the sealant and carry nothing.

I’ll be the LVIS guy cursing as I have to walk 3/4 of the course after puncturing!

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I haven’t raced (yet) on my mtb anyway, but I’ve been running 819’s with stans fluid now for …wow over 6 years (where does it all go).

Personally, I would not trust a bodged DIY rim, but that’s your choice.
    Since learning how to ‘seat’ tubeless correctly (and there is a distinct difference) and using stans fluid I have not punctured in that time – granted I only get out on the thing approximately 15 times per year.
    For my outings, I carry a spare tube, CO2 x3, A box of the tubeless specific repair kit (with bogies) and a pump – never needed to use it on my bike. Places ridden have been ‘The Chase’, ‘Hamsterly Woods’, Dark & White peak with downhill knarly action….oh and ‘The Brennin’.
    I’m not attempting to be patronising or condescending, just attempting to convey if your set-up is solid, then go for it.
    If I were racing on a short circuit, I’d go with just a couple of bogies and the specific tool (hardly any room required for these), a reliable and adjustable Co2 valve (not the mini one, which is utter shite as I found out during my early tri races). I use the very small one with an adjustable orange dial, can’t remember the make, sorry. Anyway, you’d fit it all into an old sunglasses pouch easily, with room for other stuff if you fancied.

If you’re near Sheffield/Chesterfield you can borrow my wheelset if you wish.
    Post back with how it went.

LT

ac282

In a normal XC race you can just quit.

If you puncture 10 yards into your lap a Oktoberfest you’ll have to walk the whole thing. I think it is well worth carry tools if only to avoid a long walk.

MrAgreeable

All the racers in Finale seemed to be carrying those combination CO2/tubeless spaff cannisters. That said, AC is a lot less nadgery. I’d expect the main risk to be burping in the tight berms, like what happened to Nouveau a few rides ago.

njee20
    Free Member

Personally, I would not trust a bodged DIY rim, but that’s your choice.

He’s not, he’s using a Stan’s rim, which is an excellent set up. Vastly lighter than UST, with a better range of tyres that will work easily.

I’m not attempting to be patronising or condescending

Hmmm, sorry, you failed 😕

The use of UST among racers is pretty low, the use of a Stan’s-esque conversion is extremely high. You’ll be unlucky to puncture, by Andy’s is a good point – it’s a long race, and you’re not going to want to pack it in if you flat. Even if it takes 10 minutes that’s probably a better option than running. I’d be taking a tube and some CO2 myself.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bikefest this year I managed to pinch flat my tyre on the rocky new barn wood descent, at 35psi. Though I am Mr Pinch Flat, weigh more than 15 Leons stuck together with glue and some nice chaps have been busy regrading all the trails so there are no pointy rocks anymore.

I had a tube and CO2 with me, but even with a 5mm tear in the tyre I managed to limp it back to the pits in order to waste time trying to get it to seal.

Dougal
    Free Member

I always carry a proper tool, and a £4.99 pump that I’ve had for about a decade now.

On the rare occasions where I do puncture tubeless, having a proper tube (rather than a thin/lightweight one) has meant I’m less likely to puncture again.

The pump is also a reliability thing. I know it will pump my tyre up. No worrying about wasting gas or the tyre going down again and needing a topup.

Dougal
    Free Member

s/tool/tube

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Ok, I concede … I’d probably bottle it and bung a spare tube in 🙄

sebgt
    Free Member

Nothing when racing. But when out and about once got punctured by a big thorn, which did seal, but lost quite a bit of air, had to top it up with a pump trailside

Leon
    Free Member

There’s nothing in the rules about having to complete a lap.

I presume that if I puncture in the first 1/4 or so, I run back and get someone else to go out, and if it’s anywhere near the end, I run and complete the lap.

Not a very nice prospect though. I think I will go for 1 tube, and 1 normal, reliable pump. It doesn’t weigh a lot, and there’s no proper hills on the course anyway.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Racers with Tubeless – what do you carry?’ is closed to new replies.