Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Raceface XC HTII Crank issues
  • ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

Bleagh!! I getting to hate this crank, Driveside keeps coming loose on the splines. Kucky that the self extracting bolt stops the crank from falling off.

Any ideas how to stop it???????????.

So much prefer the Shimano XT HT11 setup, no splines or bolts to worry about.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i would like to know also!! Any ideas?

dobo
    Free Member

i wasnt able to fix my evolve cranks loosening, eventually the splines get **** and nothing you do will stop the cranks from wobbling when tightened.
    I’ve heard people say add additional shims etc but just when you think it might be fixed the same shit happens

i only wish i took them off sooner rather than later.

running new and old xt’s now no problems

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_C

dobo,

Snap!

Exactly the same scenario with mine.(RaceFace Evolve XC)

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Ditto 3 sets gone int bin

andylux
    Free Member

Dear All,

I have a set of the most recent Deus cranks, I fitted these as per instructions using a Torque wrench to tighten the BB cups and crank bolt upto the recomended torque. Have had no issues with them loosening.

Prior to fitting mine I’d read a lot about RF cranks loosening and the necessity to torque them up to the required amount.

I’m sure most of you have done this, I just thought i’d stick my 2p worth in.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, just do em up really tight. Really really tight.

ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

Stripped, cleaned and refixed with large torque wrench (about 2ft of leverage,and ignored the settings to get it good and tight!!) so far so good, but only time will tell,but basically crap design, and splined fixing not good compared to Shimano simplicity!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Well, they say you can’t overtighten cos you just reach the end of the spline.

pumpanani
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen to me on two sets of raceface cranks. switched to xt cranks and been problem free ever since.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I have a deus and atlas set that have been fine, the problem for me has been the evolve sets of which I have had 2 and 1 on the lads bike, all binned.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

did mine up “bastard” tight today and its now fine – copious threadlock too

BearBack
    Free Member

Assuming its not a spline issue now as a result of incorrect fitting, you need to go back to installation with this one.

Did you fit it?, Did LBS fit it?

Ensure that your BB is fitted correctly as per your BB shell width.

Check the installation instructions for number of small driveline spacers required – use this as a starting point only. Any spacers i refer to from here on are the ones that fit over the crank spindle. There should be no need to adjust the BB spacers from here on.

Install cranks into BB with driveline spacers in place and tighten crank bolt until it bottoms out.

Heres your fault finding – IF:

1) crank bolt doesnt bolt out (doesn’t definately come to a dead stop at the bottom of the thread (forget about torque readings as I doubt ‘bastard tight’ is on the scale 😉 ) then you have too many driveline spacers in place. Remove ONE and re-install. try again to bottom out crank bolt. (also now check as per step 2)

2) crank bolt bottoms out but you notice wobbling or knocking then you have too FEW chainline spacers in place. Add ONE and reassemble. If you already removed one, then add a half width chainline spacer instead of a full one

3) crank bolt bottoms out, but cranks dont spin freely. replace full width spacer for half width spacer and reassemle.

Basically, you are trying to achieve a bottomed out crank bolt with a BB preload that will allow the crank arms to spin freely. Unless you bottom out your crank bolt.. you may end up with self loosening cranks. Effectively the bottom out acts a mechanical ‘thread lock’

a bottomed out crank bolt with too few chainline spacers (i.e. cranks wobble within BB) shouldn’t come loose, but will accelerate dirt ingress and BB wear.

I’ve seen many external RF cranksets installed badly whereby the crank bolt has been backed off in an effort to make a tight BB spin freely resulting in – self loosening cranks! I don’t doubt that bikes come from manufacturers or from LBS retrofits installed in this way.

Each of my RF crank installations take at least 2 or 3 install, remove reasseblies to get them spot on.. DH bikes with chainguides often more than 5 fettling refits. Kind of a pain, but then i’ve never had one loosen on me.
    I should point out that I’m pretty anal with bike builds and it takes me a lot longer than it should 😉 I also agree that this is kind of a PITA.

This is my opinion, from experience and I hope it helps.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers – just followed your advice and “bottomed my nut!”

steve_b77
    Free Member

I fitted my RaceFace Evolve XC cranks to the Handjobmyself using a long 8mm allen key, followed the instructions precisely.

Greased the spline, male & female ends, turned the bike upside down and cranked away with the allen key, it bottomed out easily which accordingly is more than enough torque to hold it on properly.

3 months of muddy gritty shite and no problems at all, averaging 6 hours per week, with drops and general Trail duties.

I’m not mega light either at 13st, and I’m not a super floaty light rider either.

It’s all down to fitting things correctly IMHO

antigee

well i fitted some a month or so ago and am not sure to be worried or not – i went fair bit past the suggested torque (using an 8mm hex socket and a torque wrench) – i’m sure it didn’t bottom – only used for a 100miles or so but seems very firm – now if its not bottomed does that mean if does go loose it will torque back up again without any wobble?

looking at the design i’d have thought once the bolt bottoms and you get a bit of wobble and wear you are well and truly up sh1t creek with only money left to throw at a new crankset

rickmeister

As BearBack says, its all in the fitting. A bit more fiddly but the fit at the end is spot on. Well worth taking your time. We have two sets on two bikes, no problem on either of them. RTFM and take your time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Raceface XC HTII Crank issues’ is closed to new replies.