Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Raceface x-type seal removal
  • atlaz
    Free Member

How can I do this without the "proper" tool? I've tried to find a guide online but can't find one anywhere.

lipseal
    Free Member

Do you mean the bearing seal on you BB?

atlaz
    Free Member

Yep

Haze

I failed miserably when I tried replacing the bearings in mine.

Bought a new Hope instead.

lipseal
    Free Member

So you have the top hat shim out and now you can see the bearing, then just use a pin get it behind the seal and pop it off. Now if you want to get the bearing out they are difficult to do without the right tool crc used to do them have a look in the tool section.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I took mine apart with a hammer and a drift – usual thing of heating the cups in hot water and freezing the bearings for reassembly.

However the top hats are fragile – you just have to pull them off.

Seals came off the bearings with a scalpel blade

atlaz
    Free Member

Sorry… was a bit confused there. I mean the top hat. I've managed to partially crack one by levering it gently with a scalpel but still couldn't get it off.

Edric64
    Free Member

Can you get spare tophats from someone like Chris King?

lipseal
    Free Member

Don't know if you can get spare top hats but you can get a bearing kit from BETD they do a bearing and seal kit plus the bearings don't need the top hat spacer as they are the same size as the hope ones and fit directly on to the crank shaft.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have seen the betd bearings Enduro do them as well 20 quid they are 24mm so direct fit on the axle

Spock thanks for that link ,been looking for a while as it's dead easy to get the bearings out but the tophats crack easily.

atlaz
    Free Member

So… how do I get the top hat out?

spock
    Free Member

very carefully with a Stanley knife , very carefully

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I tried levering the cover off and only succeeded in cracking it a bit. Is there somewhere better to lever or some other trick?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Raceface x-type seal removal’ is closed to new replies.