Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Raceface Turbine Cranks
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Anyone using these? They’re a decent price on crc at the moment but don’t seem to see them on many bikes featured on here so just wondering why? I’m looking for something to upgrade my Hone cranks which are a bit weighty and tired. I’m fairly heavy and they’ll be used on a singlespeed so want them to be relatively stiff.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I have had two sets of Raceface Turbine cranks on different bikes over the past 10 years. If nothing else, they’ve lasted well.

I can’t really comment on stiffness in absolute terms as I don’t have anything to compare them with.

However, I’m around 13-14 stone and am a ‘churner’ rather than a ‘spinner’ in my pedalling, so probably stomp the pedals in an above-average gear which I guess would mean I’d have noticed if they were flexing a lot.

I’ve been happy with them.

I assume the cost relative to Shimano or SRAM is why they’re not very common, plus the fact they don’t seem to be fitted as OEM to much.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m only a stone heavier than you so sounds like they should be fine from that aspect.

True on full cost although the sale price seems reasonable. Also wonder whether it put people off when raceface went into administration a while ago.

IHN

Without wishing to thread hijack too much, I have a set of RF Next SLs that I’m looking to get rid of. They’re in my ‘pile of stuff to sort out selling in the New Year’, but if you’re interested, drop me a mail.

Gotama
    Free Member

IHN – dropped you a mail. Ta

pinetree
    Free Member

Turbines are ace! I had a set on my wee balfa which I used at the Mega last summer. They took all that in their stride, as well as a few fairly big hucks in the bikepark.
    I’ve now got them on my Yeti which gets used for everything from sessioning DH tracks, to a bit of XC racing.

You’ll not be disappointed with those cranks.

JoeG
    Free Member

I just bought a set of RF Evolve cranks (a step down from Turbines, I believe) for my fatbike. I haven’t installed them yet, but I’m quite impressed at the quality. Them flannel wearin’ lumberjacks in Canadia make nice stuff!

Alex

Had some turbines on my ST4. Mainly bought as they matched the frame but they were great. Certainly stiffer enough for me. Rings were quite expensive to replace but lasted a nearly 1500k. Had a very old Square Taper set that I polished up which looked great, but the new ones were considerably lighter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I threw a set away last year. they were ten years old but still worked like New. great cranks. the only reason I threw them out was that they were Isis and for the price of new rings and a new bottom bracket, I got a whole new xt chainset. the cranks had no residual value so went in the bin. crying shame.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’m running turbines on my singlespeed.
    Can’t fault them.

d45yth
    Free Member

Rings were quite expensive to replace

I couldn’t disagree more! I use various Race Face chainsets on all my bikes not only because I like them, but because the rings are a fraction of the price of a lot of other brands. The abililty to fit 9 or 10 speed rings to the same cranks is also nice.
    I’ve some Deus Ex crank arms (old Turbines) that have been on about four different bikes, apart from a CK headset, I haven’t anything else as old that I still use.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the BB’s don’t last…either sell it or keep it as a spare.

dreednya

Got a set on my Mojo after the spider on my XX crank began to unbound and I had just bought some replacement XX rings. Only a couple of other cranks run the same bcd so that and the lifetime warranty I’m very happy with them 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Raceface Turbine Cranks’ is closed to new replies.