Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Raceface or works? Narrow wide
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

Works for £35, Raceface for £40

Which to buy?

Karl33to
    Free Member

Got both, and there’s no discernable difference in function.

The race face one looks a bit nicer though as it’s laser etched, whereas the works one is plain.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Same here.

si66
    Free Member

Been using a works for a while now.chain has never budged.
    Enjoy a tea & cake with the fiver!!

matther01
    Free Member

Got RF and Works dispatched today….so time will tell.

dmw536
    Free Member

or get an absolute black one from http://www.ubyk.co.uk/absolute-black-mtb-chainring-shimano/15046 had a look at one yesterday and they’re very bling indeed! Notably nicer than the works components one I’ve got on mine…

campfreddie
    Free Member

Just ordered a raceface version. Let’s see how it goes. Will match it up with a zee crankset, zee rear mech, xt 11-36 cassette and xt shifter.

wiggles
    Free Member

got my works in the post isn’t quite as fancy looking as my RF (non-NW) one but seems perfectly up to the job.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Merlin have 32t black in stock at the mo for £39.95.

matther01
    Free Member

That ubyk one does look nicer than the works…but does it work as well?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

got the Works one… buy British and all that

it’s excellent, taken everything i’ve thrown at it and dropped 0 chains…

i even went down the beast and potato alley at a fair old lick (with my shadow plus thing, foolishly, in the off position) and there was zero droppage

TheGingerOne

I think I saw somewhere that one of the rings does not work with a KMC chain. Not sure if it was the Works or Absolute Black. RF is fine.

Northwind

Works does work with KMC. They’d get my money again probably, UK made etc and also I like rewarding the folks who got there first (though realistically, Raceface probably had theirs on the way at the same time, I doubt it’s bandwagonning)

everyone
    Free Member

Absolute black recommend not using a KMC chain for some reason. I’m building up a new bike tomorrow with a KMC and an absolute black chainring so I’ll see what happens. Might even post some pics if you lot are lucky.

sykik
    Free Member

Apparently KMC chains aren’t recommended with the Absolute Black.

I have a Raceface N/W with KMC X10 chain and XT clutch mech, pretty much silent with no hint of dropping, even when i’ve sometimes forgotten to engage the clutch. A very worthwhile investment though I haven’t used the Works one to compare.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

RF here, with a KMC X10 and XT clutcher. And they do a green one….

theraggyone
    Free Member

Fitted the raceface one and a zee mech to my banshee spitfire on tuesday seems to work brilliantly and looks really nice. I went for the raceface rather than the works purely because it matched the rest of my raceface finishing kit. Im still to give it a proper test but so far so good

The-Duke

I’ve been using an absolute black ring with kmc chain with no issues for months now, I’d never heard they weren’t recommended together but I’ve never dropped the chain yet

everyone
    Free Member

Bit of an update. The KMC chain didn’t seem to fit quite right on the absolute black chainring, the chain wouldn’t engage properly with some of the teeth which meant that it would pop off occasionally in the stand. Rode it home with no issues and then raced it at a local cx race on saturday again with no issue. After that little bit of wear the chain seems absolutely fine now.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Raceface or works? Narrow wide’ is closed to new replies.