• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RaceFace Aeffect Dropper – any views?
  • uphillstruggle

I’m currently in the happy place of demoing everything under the sun ahead of buying my first new bike in 7 years ( 😯 )! Several of the bikes I’m considering have the option of a RaceFace Aeffect Dropper but I’m struggling to find any details beyond the basic launch PR from RaceFace.

I know conventional wisdom seems to be that a Reverb is the way to go but the continual warranty horror stories on here, anecdotal evidence from my LBS (“we get about 2-3 in a week for warranty”) and the recent post from Bird reminding people that they need to be serviced every 50 hours of riding to preserve the warranty has put me off (I like the fact that mountain biking is one of the few things in life these days that doesn’t require a monthly subscription :P).

I’d love to hear good/bad/indifferent reviews on the Aeffect. I’d also love to be told I’m worried about nothing with the Reverb (which to be fair has been fitted to almost every demo I’ve ridden and been fantastic).

tor5
    Free Member

Anecdotally I’ve heard that the RF post has a higher failure rate than the 9point8 (RF licensed the design from 9point8). This is allegedly because the design has been modified to reduce costs…

(I have a 9point8 and it’s behaving perfectly so far. 175mm drop is nice too)

DezB
    Free Member

I have 2 Reverbs – one (external) has been perfect. The other (Stealth) a bag of shit. In fact, I have a rigid post on at the mo cos it’s off being warrantied (very slowly).
    I’d get this next: https://www.tftuned.com/seatposts/bikeyoke-revive/c389

orangespyderman

I’ve had a RaceFace Turbine dropper on my Jeffsy, don’t know what difference there is with the Aeffect. Had it for about 6 months or so now, pretty impressed altogether. Sensitive to cable adjustment, but that’s pretty straightforward.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know of some fitted to a hire fleet that are a pain.

My understanding is that they’re on the less well loved end of the scale.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Aeffect is the same as the Brand X one. And the Pro Koryak. And many others that are basically the Tranz X dropper. Save your money and go for whichever of those is cheapest.

Unless, as in your situation, it comes on a bike in which case I’d be happy with it – my Tranz X post is now 2 years old and I have done nothing to it. I changed the cable when I swapped frames, but it’s been faultless. My Reverb failed twice in 12 months…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And the Pro Koryak.

I thought that was the super awesome shimano one?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not much experience yet, but had a few that don’t fully extend on their own. Suspected it may be low air pressure, but was unable to find any info from RF re recommended pressures, or Silverfish who recommended a warranty return as their techies reckoned it wasn’t pressure related.Newest reverbs don’t seem to be anywhere near as unreliable as the older models (yet), but least number of warranty returns through our workshop have been KS Lev Integra (since the original model’s outer cable actuation had been reworked).

kimbers

I thought that was the super awesome shimano one?

same as brand-x, trans-x, aeffect

theres a review on pinkbike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol, wish I’d known that when the it will be awesome threads were on 🙂

Rio

Mine’s been fine over the summer (apart from the lack of documentation from RaceFace); I’ll know how good it really is if it survives the winter. Mine’s 150mm drop, I’m guessing the 125mm drop one is a different design as it doesn’t have adjustable return pressure.

coatesy
    Free Member

I may have done these posts a little dis-service earlier, as just out of my line of sight, under the seat-clamp, are the air pressure recommendations, and running these pressures (over twice what they seem to be supplied with, once the pump has been fitted), they are able to extend past the stiff and sticky points under their own steam.

Giallograle

I’ve got a Brand X and a Reverb both bought secondhand. The Brand X sometimes fails to fully return, then sinks when you sit on it which is irritating. It may just be that I’m not holding the lever down long enough as the fix is to repeat, but having read the comments above I’ll see if I can increase the pressure to speed it up.

Otherwise I like it, and I wouldn’t object to another.

The Reverb has become slightly wobbly in a typical Reverb fashion but works reliably.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I would have thought conventional wisdom seems to be that a Reverb is the only one NOT to buy.

Brand-X is the default dropper I would have thought.

fadgadget
    Free Member

Got one on my 2018 Orbea occam am m30 and it works very well at the moment. You can easily unscrew the top seal and squirt some runny grease onto the top bushing. The handlebar lever could be better as it’s a bit rattly but it does the job.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Apparently the Aeffect post is actually better/more reliable than the more expensive Turbine posts according to a few folks I have spoken to.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Reverbs that I’ve have had have all been fine with no servicing etc. They’re my default choice providing I can get them cheap enough.

RicB

I have a 4yr old A1 Reverb that was fine for 2 years and now needs tlc every 6 months. No different to hydraulic brakes and other high-end mtb components really.

The B1 (internal routing) had lots of issues issues and RS redesigned the seals a bit (new IFP) for the later versions. If I was buying again I’d happily have a Reverb.

The Turbine uses the 9point8 design, which works really well except if you use a shock pump that has some oil residue in it. The design works on the principle of a friction brake and if oil gets in bye-bye friction.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RaceFace Aeffect Dropper – any views?’ is closed to new replies.