Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Race tyres – how light/fast can you go before it gets silly?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I'll ill, my back's in spasm and I'm bored… so naturally I thought I'd ask about race tyres! 😀

It seems that there are some crazy light tyres out there, but at what point are they just too sketchy/puncture prone to be worth it?

I know it's different depending on weight and conditions – so it is just a case of trying lighter and lighter ones until you have issues?

At 47kgs i reckon I could get away with something fairly light – if I could stay on the bike!

What's the lightest you've run successfully – and what's your weight/bike set up?

Cheers! MM

oldgit
    Free Member

I haven't used anything less than 175g And just for Crits.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Depends on the definition of silly. I like 2.1 High Rollers and 2.1 small block 8s at around 490g. I can still get round somewhere like Afan on them so a very sensible option, maybe too sensible.

The HRs are good because even if the course turns to total shit, they're still genuinely rideable – I did the CLIC24 last year on them and it was a soup fest and they held on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

being 72kgs i stick to tires about 500gram tires and tubeless , much lighter and i flat all the time.

tried rocket rons and had 11 punctures in 4 rides ….

does depend on terrain though alot.

21.8 lb merida FLX

oldgit
    Free Member

That was for Diamant Pros. I looked at Veloflex, they're ment to be very tubular like and fairly light.

aracer
    Free Member

Personally my limit is Racing Ralphs. Have tried Twister Supersonics and Furious Freds, but found them too fragile for me. I am 20kg heavier than you (when at race weight – more like 30 at the moment), but I don't think that makes much difference to the things which make tyres puncture.

aracer
    Free Member

I looked at Veloflex, they're ment to be very tubular like and fairly light.

I use Veloflex Record tubs and haven't yet punctured one (though they're expensive and wear fast on the back). Effectively lighter than your Diamont Pros I think

njee20
    Free Member

I have one Furious Fred, personally there are so few places I'd bother to use one on the front that it's not worth having one, but they're fine on the back anywhere that's likely to be hardpack and dry, and at 295g they are crazy fast. Work well tubeless too.

Rocket Rons are very good when it's not rocky IMO, too thin when it is, and they do wear out fast. Ralphs are a good comprimise for rockier races.

njee20
    Free Member

though they're expensive and wear fast on the back

Sub in Conti Competitions and there's my experience, went 'flat' on top within weeks!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Settled on a combination of Bontrager XR 2.0 Team Issue on the back (485g) and Revolt Super X 2.0 on the front (540g), occasionally 2.2 version for rockier courses. Very reliable setup run tubeless and light enough without sacrificing traction or robustness. I'm a skinny fecker though (65kg).

Dougal
    Free Member

I don't run anything lighter than the Maxxis Exception series tyres. Anything lighter is just too much of a risk for racing IMO, so no Furious Freds or Maxxlite for me thanks.

I'm 56kg, but getting to the finish is pretty important.

juan
    Free Member

About 850g per tyre seems to be the lightest of what mtb racers use around here. Mind you, the top 3 of most races are more on tyres about the 1000g mark.

PaulD
    Free Member

I ran a Kenda Klimax-Lite at 325g (stamped at 345g) on the rear of a full-susser all last summer and autumn, with a 126g butyl innertube. Rode hundreds of miles in total, all round Swinley and Tunnel Hill with lots on tarmac too, and no signs of wear or punctures yet. Bought 3 more recently at AllTerrainCycles and they are all under the 345g. They do come up much smaller than the stamped 1.95", nearer 1.6" but they are very low rolling resistance. I weigh 48-50kg but the full-susser is 15Kg and I always have a full Camelbak.
    No brainer for 2010 on a hardtail XC racer I am building.

aracer
    Free Member

the full-susser is 15Kg

Aren't there a lot less risky places to be saving weight than the tyres?

PaulD
    Free Member

aracer,

You are correct. The first tyre was a £5 bin-end purchase. It was run on the full-susser just to see how long it would last on mixed terrain all-day rides, and so far so very good.
    XC racer project will be well under 10Kg.
    I do not use these tyres for all-day epics at Afan or the DH at Cwmcarn. I generally dress accordingly and use Nevegals / Blue Grooves of appropriate thickness.

ourmaninthenorth

Corsa CXs. Light and grippy, though delicate.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm, interesting stuff. Sounds like it is worth my while trying something a bit lighter than the Maxxis high roller exceptions (2.1) I have. I've never had a puncture ever – even running tubes at 15psi (not always intentionally!) on rocky stuff.

Any good recommendations for a lightweight like me?

Slogo
    Free Member

juan – Member
    About 850g per tyre seems to be the lightest of what mtb racers use around here. Mind you, the top 3 of most races are more on tyres about the 1000g mark.

both my tyres weigh less than 1000g ande there nothing mega special

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Race tyres – how light/fast can you go before it gets silly?’ is closed to new replies.