Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • race newbie – advice please
  • bex
    Free Member

I’ve entered my first ever mtb bike race for this Sunday and beyond that I have no idea what to expect/ do. I’ve scrutinised the rules and know that I can’t receive any outside help so do I carry everything in a rear pocket/ how many tubes to carry/ is a gas canister thingy essential or will a small pump be OK…
    It’s the Hope series so 90 mins around Lee Quarry for those in the know.
    Bricking it, so any advice gratefully received.
    Cheers
    [gulp]

mrphil
    Free Member

I take a pump, mini tool, tube, canister, a gel or 2.

I really shouldn’t use a camel back but hey ho thats me (mind you I shouldn’t of entered in the “racers” category)

Get their for around 8am, sign in at the big yellow gazzebo, zip tie your race number card on your bike and bag. Settle your nerves by making your way to the top of the quarry. Warm up up and ride your route so you can expect the unexpected!

And remember don’t brick it, enjoy it!

bex
    Free Member

Cheers mrphil, that really helps. I’m truly trying to psych ‘enjoy’ but just keep defaulting to ‘You’re nearly forty years old – why, why. WHY???’

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Bex, if it’s any consolation, this will only be my second ‘race’, the first was Hit The North in February and to be honest, I wasn’t really ‘racing’.

I’ve ridden Lee Quarry a few times so at least I’ve an idea what to expect but I’m probably just as nervous/excited as you are. I’m in the 40+ although I keep thinking ‘Have A Go’ would have been a better idea!

I’m going to get there early and warm up. I didn’t for HTN and lived to regret it.

As for carrying stuff, I was planning on taking a pump, tube and levers. I’ll have a couple of bottles on the bike and that’ll do.
    Anything ‘mechanical’ and it’ll be a walk or an early finish.

I’ll be the one pushing an ’07 Clockwork…..

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Bex…the why is simple. Because you want to.

Have a look at Chris Boardman’s coaching book for some really good tips on settling the pre-race nerves. It basically comes down to maximising your control over what you can control and forgetting about the rest.

All the best for the day itself, have a good ride and remember…preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance!

bex
    Free Member

Great advice guys, really appreciated. I’ll be the one putting the ‘Have a Go’ into the ‘have …
    [But inwardly still bricking it
    L

Brownbacks
    Free Member

the first thing is “don’t panic”

the second thing is “if in doubt ask” we are really friendly and it’s supposed to be fun for everyone

The “have-a-go” course is designed to be a gentle introduction to racing the quarry, so it’s a nice balance of easy but fun trails with the odd bit that makes you think but which is easily rideable

the have-a-go start is in the main bowl (see how nice is that) the main course start is on the “tramway” aka the death climb from the main gate

I would make sure you can repair a puncture and have a chainlink as the lack of these two things probably accounts for 80% of the people walking down the hill, some water and something easy to eat

Pedant bit: on outside tech help BC rules state:

10.4.1 Technical assistance during a Cross Country or Marathon/Endurance race will be permitted in National Championships, and National Series rounds, subject to the following conditions.
    Other than in exceptional circumstances, and entirely at the discretion of the organiser and Chief Commissaire, technical assistance at other domestic cross country races will not be permitted.
    we differ from BC rules in that we don’t have a feed zone either

we feel it makes people think more about their race strategy and camelbacks are often the best solution as bottles are easily lost

hope you enjoy it and don’t forget to chat to the team

bex
    Free Member

Brownbacks; you’re out there… watching… you are the FBI and I claim my £5
    Seriously- many thanks (truly). See you there x

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Brownbacks; you’re out there… watching… you are the FBI[i]secret agency of lardy mtber’s[/i] and I claim my £5

😉

these risk assessments don’t write themselves

bex
    Free Member

surely you meant ‘lady’ mtbers 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

not trying to scare you, the start of MTB races is in my experience very fast. As in nothing really prepares you for your first experience of a race start. I don’t know the course but be prepared for everyone trying to squeeze into the first bit of singletrack.

kayak23

Just relax and remember, its not a race.
    Oh no hang on, it is isn’t it… 😉

You’ll be buzzing at the end I’m sure when you finish, and no doubt you’ll ‘get it’.
    Have fun. 🙂

paddy0091
    Free Member

Get a decent warm up, 20mins with a couple sprints.

Don’t go off too hard.

Check the bike FULLY, before setting off. I’ve had punctures/loose bars, etc…all on or off the startline.

500ml of liquid/every 30mins if you can

Oh, and enjoy!

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Bex – do your own thing in the race & don’t get carried away by others doing theirs. I only ride once a week but did my first MTB race last year at the grand old age of 57! There were a few older than me on the listings and I did manage to overtake many and think I came about 150th out of 200 in the over 40s – which was a result for me.

I am considering doing the Thetford Winter series again this year and feel a nervous anticipation just thinking about it! I have a much lighter bike this year so will try to improve on my last years placing…..

John

flange
    Free Member

I’d say* rock up and get on the turbo trainer, smashing back a combination of Redbull and energy drink whist wearing massive headphones, doing interval sessions and shouting at yourself. Stand on the start line and don’t talk to anyone, but close your eyes and pretend to visualise riding the course, doing all the appropriate hand movements. Sprint off the front as the gun goes, bury yourself up the first climb, blow and pull out sighting poor tyre choice as your excuse

Works for me – I’ve DNF’d pretty much every race I’ve entered this year.

*I’m joking – turn up, have fun, don’t worry about anything. You won’t be the slowest, and even if you are it doesn’t matter. You’re riding your bike at an ace venue with lots of others doing the same thing. Hopefully in the sunshine!

Brownbacks
    Free Member

bex – Member
    surely you meant ‘lady’ mtbers

we have a lady, I’m probably in trouble for 1. calling her lardy, 2. calling her a lady

not trying to scare you, the start of MTB races is in my experience very fast. As in nothing really prepares you for your first experience of a race start. I don’t know the course but be prepared for everyone trying to squeeze into the first bit of singletrack.

The have-a-go start isn’t like that, it’s all fun and relaxed (for a race), Have a go start isn’t too steep initially, I would say to ride within yourself on the first lap and then go for it, there isn’t the need to get to the front in the first 100m as there is at other venues

cp

In terms of what to carry, I just use bottles and a gel. I’ve had the bottle (750ml) jettison from the holder during Brownbacks races as it’s very bumpy in places (course dependent), so if using bottles, I’d say 500ml max – take two.

I’ve raced with all sorts in terms of tools, but I find weight on my back annoying during a race, so don’t bother with a Camelbak. I go minimalist – sometimes taking no tools/tubes at all. I use tubes but haven’t punctured during a Brownbacks race yet (that’s done it now!) but use slightly harder than normal pressures. If I take a spare tube, it goes in a very small saddle pack, and the CO2 inflator nozzle goes in there too, whilst the co2 cartridge goes in my back jersey pocket.

I don’t bother with multi-tools or chain splitters for short course XC as my race is pretty much over if I have anything that needs that sort of work. I do however make sure the bike is in tip top condition, and I’ve had at least two rides on it since making ANY changes before the race..

Never make tweaks and then go straight into the race – it inevitably goes wrong!

Ladders
    Free Member

Just remember that pre-race nerves are normal and help you by getting your adrenaline going for the race!

Make sure you have everything prepared for, I usually lay everything out the night before so you can see you’ve got everything when you pack.

As long as you have your shoes & helmet, you can borrow everything else if you forget. (remember your bike as well though! 😉 )

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have never raced with a camelbak- stick a bottle on your frame and carry as little as you need to survive. I take-

1 tube (if it’s uncomfortable in your pocket tape it under your seat with electrical tape, and fold the end of the tape over so you have a tab to pull the tape off with when you’re wearing gloves in a rush)
    1 CO2 cartridge (if you need to use a pump your race will be pretty much over anyway)
    1 multitool with a chain tool
    2 tyre levers (no point being a “I only need thumbs” hero when the clock is against you!)
    1 gel (don’t try anything you’ve not had before, even free samples! A race isn’t the time to find a particular gel makes you squiffy.)
    1 powerlink (tape it somewhere on your bike as it’ll get lost in a pocket)

The main thing you will find in the ladies’ race is that it will be ENORMOUSLY friendly. I’m always amazed at the start of these races- it’s all “good luck!”, “hope you do well!”, “have you got everything?”. And at the end it’s all hugs and smiles and “well done!” and “I’m so happy I lost to you!”.

As a male racer it baffles me but you’ll have a lovely time, I promise! There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

this weeks main course has……

big berms
    bumps
    techy steep singletrack
    ups
    and downs

the have a go course has
    bumps
    singletrack
    ups
    and downs
    and smiles

and for this week only we have the “buffabout” TM 😉

xc-steve
    Free Member

Am pretty much repeating everyone’s posts here but can of cafe latex all in one thingy co2 and tyre fixing juice with a multi tool (ensure it has a chain tool) water bottle and 2-3 gels.

Start go balls out, probably not best strategy for a newbie but would be a shame to miss out on the excitement. Settle into a rhythm don’t give up even if your in last other people will give up. Ensure you have a beer or two at home and some tasty food to look forward to!

Now please don’t take this as an insult just making the assumption that as its your first race the Elite/Experts will lap you, if/when you hear someone behind don’t panic they will say rider behind and usually say what side (I do) or tell them what side you’ll pull over.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I’ll echo Steve’s comment. AT HTN (my only previous experience) the first few times people came past it was a bit unnerving but I soon got used to it. What I was really impressed with was the way that, without exception, the speed merchants gave you a ‘cheers’, ‘thanks’ whatever (and some were shifting). I held a couple of people up at the back end of the course, no tutting or swearing, they just slowed up and I actually pulled over when I could (a few seconds to me didn’t matter).

The atmosphere was great and the sense of achievement at the end was fantastic (225th out of 279 finishers, I’m not very fit or quick and was convinced I’d be last). Fact is, I wouldn’t have cared if I was last and neither would anyone else.

I’m still not sure whether I should do the Have A Go as it’s only the second time I’ve done this kind of thing. I’ve ridden Lee Quarry a few times so know the place. At the risk of sounding really lame, can I change to Have A Go on Sunday (I registered as a 40+) if I feel the need to?

And, like I said, if I get a ‘mechanical’ with my skills, it’ll be DNF!

Hope to see some of you there!

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Right, so I’m getting an early-ish night and laying off the sauce tonight.

Given that I’ll be up 6ish and aiming to get there for a warm-up around 8.30, what should I eat and when tomorrow?

I usually don’t eat enough first thing at the best of times and often skip on days I’m out on a ride (mistake I know). I’ve started shoving toast down even though I don’t really feel like eating it and I always try and take the Mrs cake or bananas.
    Not sure a cake and a drink stop will be particularly practical tomorrow though…

Any advice gratefully received?

hels
    Free Member

Huge bowl of porridge 2-3 hours before race (depends on how far you have to travel) then a nutrition bar of some sort 1 hour before the race. Always worked for me. Drink loads before, during and after the race. Gel every lap. Flat coke at the start of the last lap. Greasy hamburger and chips for tea on the way home.

bex
    Free Member

Many thanks to each and every one of you, your advice is invaluable and hugely appreciated. The bike’s prepped, spare tubes etc packed, the carbo-loaded pre-race breakfast measured and the post race beer chilled. Now all I have to decide is which shorts/ top combo…

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Mixed feelings.
    Did the Veterans which, if I’m honest, was probably a bit beyond me.

I did a full lap as a warm up and was ready to go home!

Race starts.

That first climb nearly finished me but I stuck with it, got all the way round and then, at the bottom of the start/finish climb punctured.
    Didn’t have a tube/levers (I have WTB Speed Disc rims and the average tyre change time is measured in days not minutes, I’ve tried every technique going, they’re as tight as a tight thing).

Anyway, I had some of the gloop in a can stuff. Didn’t work. And so my first experience of Brownbacks ended prematurely.

Still, I was proud of myself for getting round. I’ve ridden Lee Quarry plenty of times before but that course was right at the limit of my ability. Fell off but so what.

Huge thanks to the organisers and marshals and to the other entrants who helped calm my nerves with the good banter.

I’m back in October. May do the Have A Go to get more of a ‘race’ feeling (I was last by a long way when I had to pack in I suspect).

Really brings home how different ‘racing’ is to your weekend ride.

Matt

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘race newbie – advice please’ is closed to new replies.