Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Race King 29 x 2.2 – in stock anywhere?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

After slicing yet another Crossmark at Bristol Bikefest, I fancy another couple of Race Kings. Seems there’s a shortage of decent 29er tyres available at the moment. Anyone got them in stock? Cheers!

E_G

I’ve been waiting on some X-King 29ers since March and emailed Madison recently. Their response was that:

I have discussed this with Continental and they have informed us that the 29er tyres won’t be available until September. Unfortunately they have had to move their production for reasons out of their hands.

Not sure if this applies just to the X-Kings 29er or to others in the range such as the Race Kings that you are after. Perhaps explains the lack of choice at the moment.

I’ve recently received a pair of 2.2 Ikons and am happy with those so far. They may be a good alternative for the Race Kings although from memory a bit pricier.

EG

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a google adn called a shop yesterday – said they’d been discontinued by Continental.

V few 29er tyres about just now, I got a 2.1 Aspen from nextdaytyres, ordered yesterday morning, at work before I was today!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i forget bt have you tried the SB8s ?

i too sliced the shit out of crossmarks 🙁

sb8s no issues so far

pedalhead
    Free Member

thanks guys. Ikons look good but stupid price, and I need something fairly tough for the Chilterns flint as I keep slicing tyres up here. Tempted to try an Aspen though…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve sliced a SB8

nedrapier

Have you tried tredz? I got some 2.0 race kings a couple of weeks ago.

lunge

I like RaceKings but tough they are not, they are light with thin sidwalls.

If you do still want some I know Race Co in Stourbridge had some 26ers in last week, not sure if they have 29ers though. Maybe worth a call.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of Bonty 29-3s

yet to try them mind 🙂

Have you tried the German sites for the RKs?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hmm Aspen isn’t EXO, so that’s out. Since the autumn I’ve sliced 2 x Crossmarks, WTB Nano, Bonty Mud-X, Racing Ralph, Maxxis Ignitor. The Race King is the only one to have survived with sidewall intact (although the tread is cut up a load). Terry, I haven’t tried 29er SB8s but I know Aidan had issues on the TD last year & I hear they don’t play tubeless well. Could go 2.0 Race King front & back instead of 2.2 I suppose but they’re awfully skinny & I’m not sure would be much good for Kielder!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Garcia’s are pretty heavy, but thanks stumpy01.

uplink…I always forget the urls of those German sites. Must bookmark 🙂

gee
    Free Member

2.25 Racing Ralphs? Nextdaytyres.com had some snakeskin ones which are awesome – reallu durable, light and easy to run tubeless.

pedalhead
    Free Member

gee, I absolutely hated how fragile the regular Racing Ralph was. Is the snakeskin *really* much much better?

btw, thread tangent, hoping Red Planet should be contacting you about a Spearfish demo for me soon 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think aidans was a freak with its bead bursting no ?

i have 2.1 SPS and 2.1/1.95 standard non tubeless running tubeless no sweat – where as 2.1 rocket rons using the same set up would roll off the rim badly under load

MrTall
    Free Member

Ardents are good as well. I run a 2.2 & 2.4 on my 29er FS and they’ve been pretty good and they got me around The Dyfi this year without a single puncture or tear which is more than could be said for most peoples tyres there.

gee
    Free Member

Hi

Yes – the Snakeskin ones are a million times better. I was fed up with the silly sidewalls on the normal Evo tyres as well. The Snakeskin ones last forever.

I’m not the Salsa distibutor – I just race for them…

GB

pedalhead
    Free Member

ahh ok, thanks for the clarification on both counts 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Race King 29 x 2.2 – in stock anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.