Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Race Face Turbine wheelset opinions please .
  • oldfart

These are coming up at £270 on CRC , how do thet compare with Hope/Stans combos ?

oldfart

Anyone ?

wrecker
    Free Member

I think they look ok as a “trail” wheelset and at that price bloody good value. No experience of them though sorry.

grobin13
    Free Member

Will let you know in a couple if days. New bike arrives Tuesday with the turbine wheelset. Will
    Be heading straight over to stainburn to give it a whirl. Other bikes are / were Flows in Hopes..

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I liked them, seemed sturdy and fairly light. Issue I had was I cased a jump onto rock and dented the rear rim – tried to get a new rim through LBS and was basically told (by silverfish) there were none in the country to sell me. I was a little annoyed as I don’t see why you would bring out a wheel without spares available but that may be sorted now as this was when they first came out.

Can’t comment on hub durability as only ran it for 6 months, front one is still on and going strong though.

EDIT – also conflicting opinions about tubeless readiness depending who you ask, but mine went up fine with yellow tape and valves with no issues.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was a little annoyed as I don’t see why you would bring out a wheel without spares available but that may be sorted now as this was when they first came out.

means its time for this

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/breaking-news-from-team-robot_20.html

oldfart

Coolio grobin 13 I’m concerned about RFs record with bits that go round and round ! Plus 28 bladed straight pull spokes sound a bit fragile ?

Northwind

28 spokes can be fine, if they’re good spokes… Though availability can be iffy, if you break a normal spoke chances are any good bike shop will have one, not likely with straightpulls even if it’s a size that’s easily found. So it’s sensible to get spares, at £3 a pop… Doesn’t look like there’s a 135×12 axle for ’em, maybe not a big deal but you never know what you might want to put them in and it’s basically not encouraging that they can’t be bothered to support that…

I’m pretty down on factory wheelsets having had the piss taken with my Rovals, but these don’t seem that amazing for the money even disregarding that…

(@ bloodsexmagic, silverfish has rims on their website btw.)

walleater

I’ve had a set for a while partly because I great great deals on RF stuff and am reasonably happy with them.
    The whole tubeless thing is weird. On advice I bought the proper tubeless kit for them which at retail is hilariously priced. I also found that the rubber strips were too wide for the rims, to the point that I didn’t even bother trying to install tyres on them. I did use the supplied black tape to cover the spoke holes, and then used the original plastic rim ‘tape’ to bulk up the inside of the rim a bit. I then found some random valves, but these weren’t threaded all the way down (aaaaarrrgghhh). Can’t quite remember what I did but I either used thick O rings or cut something out to take up the slack so the valves could be tightened into the rims properly.
    Long story short – they now work fine without the correct tubeless kit, and I imagine a Stans kit would work perfectly well and IIRC the Stans valves are threaded all the way along.

The wheels are holding up fine and the tires haven’t burped or fallen off… Ideally I’d like slightly wider rims but there’s nothing actually wrong with these ones, just a confidence thing when running 2.4HR2s.

I’d buy them again if the price was right, although when I have the money to burn I’ll probably handbuild myself something nicer.

thegreatape
    Free Member

These wheels came on my bike when I bought it. The back wheel fell apart at the bottom of Ayers Rock at Laggan, although to put it in context I’m a heavy chap, and it is not a smooth run out there any more so a fair impact. Prior to that I had been going off the wee jumps on the lower red with no issues with them on those smoothish landings. They’d been fine on all my previous outings too, so on balance I think they’re decent enough. Think they’re described as an XC/Trail,wheel? No quibbles with them being replaced under warranty, but in the end I went for the somewhat tougher Hope Tech Enduros.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Race Face Turbine wheelset opinions please .’ is closed to new replies.