Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Race face dropper post
  • milko9000
    Free Member

a new contender emerges. I don’t know any more details than this pic shows.

woodster

German link

Sounds decent, but I guess real world performance/reliability and price is where it matters.

cdoc
    Free Member

It had better do something wonderful or be massively reliable for that price 😯
    Although it is about 25 grams lighter than a reverb..

thepodge
    Free Member

Wasn’t exactly a surprise considering their advert

scruff
    Free Member

Can we have a translation pasted into the thread please.

nixie

From links on the article also a zocchi dropper!

http://mtbrider.de/news/marzocchi-neue-dropperpost

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The two renowned bike component manufacturers EASTON and RACE FACE belong to the same parent company and have in collaboration developed a completely new Dropper Post.

Easton calls his post match its quality components series “Haven” and Race Face gets the identical baby named “turbine” therefore. In developing the Haven / turbine, the two companies have specialized in the operation of a disc brake, resulting in a newly patented, semi-hydraulic system with very low air pressure. The low air pressure to the seals conserve and make the stroke mechanism therefore particularly durable and reliable. The system is protected against frost and sub-zero temperatures to function properly even at low. The support can carry the weight of the driver continuously via a mechanical lock for extra toughness and breakdown work insensitive.

The operation is done via standard cable through the seat tube in stealth style. The special feature here is a novel quick release, which should be easily switched on and unhook the cable at the bottom of the support, which allows an ultra fast expand the Dropper Post. That’s a big advantage when servicing or even if you want to run two bikes with only one Dropper Post and frequently changes. The release lever is light and slim designed, can be criticized right or left and in the future it will also be other, differently shaped models.

As in the dropper postal sector is still a lot of room for improvement, we are very pleased about another player in the game and can not wait to one of the first Easton Haven / Race Face Turbine supports putting them in bike and for you in one of the next to test MTB RIDER spending.

All information summary:
    Color: Gloss Black
    Weight: 495g (30.9 x 440 x 150mm without operator)
    Length: 350-, 375-, 415-, 440mm
    Hub: 100-, 125-, 150mm
    Diameter support: 30.9-, 31.6mm
    Saddle: Zero Offset
    Price: 449, – €
    Available from November 2015

http://www.raceface.com
    http://www.eastoncycling.com

lerk
    Free Member

Easton calls his post match its quality components series “Haven” and Race Face gets the identical baby named “turbine” therefore. In developing the Haven / turbine, the two companies have specialized in the operation of a disc brake, resulting in a newly patented, semi-hydraulic system with very low air pressure. The low air pressure to the seals conserve and make the stroke mechanism therefore particularly durable and reliable. The system is protected against frost and sub-zero temperatures to function properly even at low. The support can carry the weight of the driver continuously via a mechanical lock for extra toughness and breakdown work insensitive.

The operation is done via standard cable through the seat tube in stealth style. The special feature here is a novel quick release, which should be easily switched on and unhook the cable at the bottom of the support, which allows an ultra fast expand the Dropper Post. That’s a big advantage when servicing or even if you want to run two bikes with only one Dropper Post and frequently changes. The release lever is light and slim designed, can be criticized right or left and in the future it will also be other, differently shaped models.

As in the dropper postal sector is still a lot of room for improvement, we are very pleased about another player in the game and can not wait to one of the first Easton Haven / Race Face Turbine supports putting them in bike and for you in one of the next to test MTB RIDER spending.

lerk
    Free Member

The bit about low pressure and mechanical locking sounds interesting assuming that isn’t a translation issue…

AlexSimon

£320 – it’s only really useful if OE prices match the Reverb or it’s significantly better. Hard to see the latter really.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Easton Haven / Race Face Turbine supports putting them in bike and for you in one of the next to test MTB RIDER spending.

This sounds great!!

scruff
    Free Member

I guess it will actually retail around the same price as the thomthom dwopper. The locking & low pressure thing is interesting, no mention of keys, hexagons or owt though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no mention of keys, hexagons or owt though.

I was pondering this the other day, the problem with most posts is sealing, but we know sealing is easy on forks, you just put the round tube in a tight fitting round seal, and let it slide on tight fitting round bushings and away you go. The problem with droppers is everyone’s made the posts polygons or added keyways to the stanchion.

Why has no one put the key/polygon on the inside? Might result in more twisting type play, but it could eliminate it in all other directions because you could just use 2 bushings like a fork and have proper seals?

kimbers

not sure id trust it tbh, raceface bottom brackets dont have the best rep and im still traumatised by an expensive RF headset I bought about 10 years ago that was absolute pants

lerk
    Free Member

I was pondering this the other day, the problem with most posts is sealing, but we know sealing is easy on forks, you just put the round tube in a tight fitting round seal, and let it slide on tight fitting round bushings and away you go. The problem with droppers is everyone’s made the posts polygons or added keyways to the stanchion.

Why has no one put the key/polygon on the inside? Might result in more twisting type play, but it could eliminate it in all other directions because you could just use 2 bushings like a fork and have proper seals?

But the seals in a reverb are all on nice flat round surfaces…
    How much pressure do you run in a fork spring though?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But the seals in a reverb are all on nice flat round surfaces…

Yes but the post wobbles about a bit in it and its a pretty poor seal compared to a fork, would you buy a fork which needed a service after ~1000 up&downs? I can’t understand why it ever needs a service, surely if it was sealed as well as a fork it would never wear out?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Most reverb issues are caused by people lifting the bike by the seat when the seat post is not fully up.

bikeneil
    Free Member

surely if it was sealed as well as a fork it would never wear out?

All moving parts wear out, don’t they?

lerk
    Free Member

I think if the post had more overlap between the two halves, there would be much less stress on the bushes.
    Take a look at the overlap and bush area you get on a fork, the two really aren’t directly comparable.

I would suggest that as frame manufacturers really embrace the dropper, the room available to fit one will increase and therefore the room to improve the mechanicals for a given drop will become available.
    At the moment people are busy trying to squeeze the most drop they can into a given frame, which means shoving the post deep into the seat tube (which due to the big wheel short stay thing is now bent limiting insertion) and needing minimal overlap of the post to give a useable post length.

If there was room to have good seat post insertion for the inner post and larger bushes I dare say the reliability issues would be vastly reduced. Lower the pressure required in the air spring and you’d have it cracked.

Annoyingly, the long reverbs could do this if they didn’t share a common upper post assembly with the 380mm post, instead they just put a spacer in the way.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see this.

I’m assuming it’ll get OEM price drops and turn up matching bars and stems etc on a lot of bikes. The sealing sounds interesting, especially the low temperature bit. This could actually be a game changer. I must say, I’m on the fence between the Reverb and Lev still, I like the Lev a lot, but it’s expensive (I have both) . Gotta say RF BB’s have been fine for me and I’ve run quite a few. I really think that’s one of those Internet stories where once there was a problem, it got fixed, but a zillion kids kept repeating it so everyone ‘knows’ it. Just like various bikes that snap as soon as you look at them etc…

thepodge
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

So it relies on friction to hold it in dropped positions – basically pulling the lever reduces the pressure in a ‘piston’ (some type of bladder really by the sounds of it) which pushes against the inside of the tube. Interesting compared to the method of others but as the link on pinkbike shows, if it’s not quite right, it means it’ll slip and extend (same as other non-spring/peg will gradually return to full extension if a seal is leaking between chambers)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All moving parts wear out, don’t they?

Yes, but a dropper post barely moves was my point, a dropper post probably moves less in 2 years than a fork does in a mile!

I’m surprised the big boys who already make their own suspension and finishing kit in some cases (Giant, Spesh, Trek, Cannondale, Scott) haven’t been making 35mm+ seatubes, droppers with magnesium lowers and 28mm stanchions with lots of overlap etc.

For a ~100mm drop in a 380mm post you could even taper the stanchion from a diameter that fit through an external bushing then barely into the lower part, then a narrower diameter into a narrower bushing 100mm down in the seatpost.

I’ve got a Reverb, it works acceptably, but I’m not blind to the fact it’s heavy and a bit crap compared to even £80 suspension forks.

Northwind

lerk – Member

I would suggest that as frame manufacturers really embrace the dropper, the room available to fit one will increase

TBH a lot of manufacturers seem to have embraced the stupid seatmast in the last couple of years, reducing dropper space/seat drop space. It’s almost like they’ve gone “Well dropping the post all the way used to be a thing, but now you can only drop your reverb 150mm so we’ll only give you that much room”. Daft. And hideous too!

Rick Draper – Member

Most reverb issues are caused by people lifting the bike by the seat when the seat post is not fully up.

Not sure that’s true, but, that’s something the post really should be able to deal with.

AlexSimon

So it’s probably just a licensed version of this:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/9point8-fall-line-dropper-post-sea-otter-2015.html

kimbers

$469 for the shonky easton/rf one or $379 for the fall line version

woodster

From the Pinkbike test

“According to Race Face, they’re working on a fix for this issue, and it should be sorted out for the full production run”

That’d be nice. Where do I send my £349 pre-order?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Strange that they’ve teamed up with Fall Line when they’re owned by Fox. Do Fox not know how to do reliably sprung stuff?

Oh…

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it is the fall line 9point8, will it come with the convertable head? That might work well with the 73.5° seat angle coming on the new bike.

jam-bo

magura electric remote one looks more interesting

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Race face dropper post’ is closed to new replies.